Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 01:33 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Port Morris and Park Versailles are all neighborhoods in the Bronx. As for Colin Powell..he claims to be from Longwood....and there is a new co-op building named for him in Longwood, and he was here for the ribbon cutting.

Hunts Point Express – Fox Street co-op draws middle income residents

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell unveils namesake affordable housing - NY Daily News

If he lived a few blocks away from this building, and went to IS52, he lived in Longwood, not Morrissania.
Where he lived on Kelley St he was right on the border so I can see him claiming both. But you are also making another point with referencing this article. Another coop in Longwood? When is Colin Powell 2 coop going up on the Morrisania side which he also claims?

During the time Powell was growing up both Longwood and Morrisania were nice safe working/Middle class enclaves. They were also diverse with Blacks from the south and the Caribbean, Jewish, Irish, and Puerto Ricans. My friend's parents class photos and yearbooks show this diversity. The teachers also reflect it with teachers from all of these groups represented and many still lived in the neighborhood at that time.

I lived on a block that won awards for being the best block in the city several times. By that time we were afraid to go over to the Lonndwood section back then. It was dirty and crime ridden a sharp contrast from Morrisania in appearance and vibe. Even though I knew many nice people and families in Longwoof since it was a walkable distance away. Many people I knew in Morrisania still live there. However hardly much has been done to revive the core of it.

If you live in one of the buildings along Crotona Park depending on where your windows face you have a clear view all the way to midtown and the Empire State building. You are a walkable distance from the subway also.

Last edited by DAS; 09-18-2013 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 06:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Port Morris and Park Versailles are all neighborhoods in the Bronx.
And? They're not the neighborhoods that the property is located in. (And if you're going to respond that NYC neighborhoods have no official boundaries, spare yourself the keystrokes, because if it's clearly Mott Haven or Soundview, it shouldn't be listed as some other area)

Old 10-10-2013, 03:48 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I pretty much agree with sobroguy's comment about Bronxites and their neighborhoods.Many don't know what neighborhood they live in,most don't really have clue of what the real neighborhoods and boundaries are and many say they live in neighborhoods that don't really exist or are made up of pieces of different neighborhoods. It's very confusing.The real state industry contributes to this by changing boundaries and names of areas to suit their financial interests.Some say they live in a different neighborhood because a next door neighborhood is perceived as better neighborhood.

Not that it is necessarily the final word but when you google "Claremont,Bronx" you get a map that shows boundaries of CB Expressway(North),169th St (South),Fulton Ave(East) and The Grand Concourse( West).
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Clare...+York&t=m&z=15

The boundaries are indicated by dotted lines.

I know everyone uses the term(s) but I'm not sure there really even is an official neighborhood of Crotona Park,either East or West.

The only neighborhood officially designated as " Concourse" is significantly further to the South...below 169th St.

Interestingly,when you google "Morrisania,Bronx" you get a map with the boundaries of 169th St( North),161 St( South),Fulton Av and 3rd Ave( East) and Park Ave( West).
https://maps.google.com/maps?client=...&ved=0CIUBELYD

If you google "Fleetwood-Concourse Village,Bronx) you get a neighborhood with ,again 169 St (North),149th St( South),Park Ave( East) and Grand Concourse( West)
https://maps.google.com/maps?client=...ed=0CHUQtgMwCg
All of the maps show 169 st as the boundary line between Morrisania and Claremont and Fleetwood and Claremont.

I think most of the area to the East of Crotona Park is officially "Fairmont". It's boundaries show as Crotona Park North( North boundary),Claremont Parkway and Freeman St( South),The Bronx River( East) andd Fulton( West)

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

South of Fairmont is Foxhurst:https://maps.google.com/maps?client=...ed=0CGUQtgMwCg
Those boundaries don't make any sense because then you'd be saying the large housing projects are in two separate neighborhoods. These projects share everything so there's no sensible reason why they should belong to separate neighborhoods. Remember they go from E 167th till E 171st so either they're all in morrisania or all in Claremont.... which are one in the same to me.

Claremont village projects in morrisania.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:03 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
the stadium carries the Bronx Central zip code (10451) but i always considered it to be High Bridge with the streets to the east of the GC along 161 to be Morrisania

Old 10-10-2013, 04:14 PM

Default Fordham Bedford

in 2009 there were at least 2 shootings of youths in the area of E 198th street and Creston Ave or Minerva Place. residents interviewed nearby said either that the area was "getting worse", was "dangerous" or "usually quiet".

so for those residents who move to the area around E 198th street and Creston, are they "lucky" to be living so far north compared to living say by 183rd and Creston? is E 198th and Creston considered "upward mobility"(ie chance they will move either further north or to a nicer area in the Eastern Bronx in the future)? or is it just another Bronx location in an area that is a little quieter?

i am always interested in borderline areas so this is why i ask

Old 10-10-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
the stadium carries the Bronx Central zip code (10451) but i always considered it to be High Bridge with the streets to the east of the GC along 161 to be Morrisania
You can't go by zip code. There are neighborhoods that fall within two zip codes (washington heights, uni heights, bed stuy etc) and there are various neighborhoods within one zip code (10453- uni heights, morris heights, tremont, fordham). Also, in the case of claremont pkway, which starts the 10457 zip code, it's CB is # 3 which includes morrisania, melrose, cpe, claremont, and 42nd precinct which is the the same neighborhoods. So what makes it more East Tremont just cause of zip code?

Old 10-10-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
in 2009 there were at least 2 shootings of youths in the area of E 198th street and Creston Ave or Minerva Place. residents interviewed nearby said either that the area was "getting worse", was "dangerous" or "usually quiet".

so for those residents who move to the area around E 198th street and Creston, are they "lucky" to be living so far north compared to living say by 183rd and Creston? is E 198th and Creston considered "upward mobility"(ie chance they will move either further north or to a nicer area in the Eastern Bronx in the future)? or is it just another Bronx location in an area that is a little quieter?

i am always interested in borderline areas so this is why i ask
198th probable has some more decent blocks surrounding it then would 183rd which is deeply entrenched in the ghetto. However, there could be blocks just as bad, they're just at a lower frequency. Really, there are some rough rough blocks north of Fordham.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:21 PM

This map is reasonable if you consider Claremont and Morrisania two distinct neighborhoods. Probably the best map I've seen, and from the city to boot.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:35 PM

Only thing is that Claremont should include Morris, Findley, and Teller ave starting at 167th....if you want to be consistent.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:46 PM

isn't it gangs one would encounter along Morris and Creston N of Kingsbridge Rd as opposed to the drug dealers you would find E of the GC?

just trying to picture what its like after say 11PM along the end of Morris and Creston where they finish. loud unruly gangs or would it be more desolate with residents feeling uneasy if they are unaccompanied?

this is also a big family area so maybe it's not all criminals who live there?

again, i like descriptions of borderline areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City