Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 09:49 AM

414 posts, read 537,723 times

Advertisements

Mr grammar experts PHDs, wat are u college professors, this aint no classroom
FOH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 10:52 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
you can barely tell who are the good guys or bad guys anymore,
so good cops need to stop defending corrupt cops every chance
they get and just let the chips fall where they may.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:52 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
you have to remember it is a tough job. 40,000 police officers policing 8.2 million nyc residents, 40 million annual tourists (100K tourist every day), numerous illegal aliens, outside residents working in NYC, etc. Imagine having to interact with all those personalities, attitudes, etc. NO THANKS!!!!!!!! ( and people wonder why some of these guys break bad)

Old 09-17-2013, 05:58 PM

414 posts, read 537,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
you have to remember it is a tough job. 40,000 police officers policing 8.2 million nyc residents, 40 million annual tourists (100K tourist every day), numerous illegal aliens, outside residents working in NYC, etc. Imagine having to interact with all those personalities, attitudes, etc. NO THANKS!!!!!!!! ( and people wonder why some of these guys break bad)
it is a tough job
but, its no excuse, nobod puts a gun to yo head and says u gotta be nypd, not everyone is cut out to be a cop, esp a new york city cop, if u cant handle the heat...
on the same note, nypd administrators should do a better job recruiting, weeding out unfit applicants and properly training fit ones

Old 09-17-2013, 07:25 PM

134 posts, read 329,800 times
What was the exact day and time of the shooting? My wife (who happens to be pregnant) and I were up there in NYC from Florida for a wedding last weekend and we were walking around Friday night in Times Square (my first time in NYC and in TS) and at 10pm I decided we needed to get back to our hotel as I felt we didn't need to be out that late (not sure of safety of taking subway at night and in general things like this happening).

I ended up reading about this on Sunday but every article was lacking the day and exact time at night this happened. I got an unsettling feeling after reading about it as it could very well have been my wife that took one of the bullets. Now of course if I see anything at all strange going on or some kind of commotion I would have had us duck into a store or head the other way, but still.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:57 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
I have been a Soldier for 7 years, I was an NCO (Sergeant) for 4 of those years. One of the many duties of an NCO is to act as a range safety. We make sure the weapon is always pointed down range, ensure nobody gets hostile while weapons are present examine targets, and teach general concepts of marksmanship with different weapons.

I have acted as a lane safety on many different kinds of weapons. The weapons I have taught are the M-16 and M9. The M9, a 9mm pistol is particularly relevant here. It is fired two ways: 1) a standard of 60% on a 25 meter target (about 75ft) and 2) after about 45 minutes of exercise in body armor to deliberately induce stress, fatigue and, inaccuracy. The standard is set to roughly 55% (16 of 30 shots) accuracy at 2'x 3' target about 25ft away. Though I cannot speak for all police officers, the incidents of pedestrians struck while perpetrators are missed show that, at the very least, the officers in question can not meet even that paltry, pitiful, sorry standard.

Also, if there is a greater likelihood that you would strike civilians in order to hit a -fleeing- perpetrator you do not take the shot. I might not know all of what goes through but, I know about weapons and I also know that cops will adamantly defend even the laziest, worst, unethical scumbags amongst their numbers, Soldiers do it too, to some extent.

Those 2 people need to not be cops ever again.
Not if Ray Kelly and the police union have anything to say about it. Shooting innocent civilians is part of the job of protecting the city from dangerous criminals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Obviously, the innocent bystanders shouldn't have been shot. Perhaps those cops needed better firing arms training.

With that said, a lot of people who want to automatically criticize cops are not thinking about how dangerous mentally ill people can be. A mentally ill person killed a man in Union Square with a PUNCH!

Saying the cops were totally wrong to shoot when their lives were possibly in dangerous is just plain foolish.

Also, do keep in mind this lunatic was running around in traffic and cars were serving to avoid him. What if he caused an accident? Obviously he didn't care, which says a lot about how dangerous he might be!
Mentally ill people can be dangerous, but so are illy trained cops.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:32 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
Its NYPD, is anyone surprised?
Should be. This was the 55th officer involved shooting incident in 2013, about one every 5 days. It was the first one where innocent bystanders were injured. Meanwhile, more than 700 people were shot by the thugs & dregs of the city, including babies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
NYC Cops shoot first and ask questions later
Another typically ignorant comment. 95% of NYPD's officers never fire their weapons off the range in an entire career. There are currently 35,000 officers, less than 100 shooting incidents annually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge1 View Post
glorified bureaucrat with a badge and a gun ... our brave heroes.
If Broadnax came near you, you'd dirty your Depends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
35,000 police officers policing 8.4 million nyc residents, 50 million annual tourists ..., numerous illegal aliens, outside residents working in NYC, etc.
FYP There are more than 10 million people in NYC on the average day.

Last edited by bigjake54; 09-18-2013 at 10:59 PM..

Old 09-19-2013, 12:18 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Not if Ray Kelly and the police union have anything to say about it. Shooting innocent civilians is part of the job of protecting the city from dangerous criminals.

Mentally ill people can be dangerous, but so are illy trained cops.
Poorly trained cops, indeed. Who were also poor shots.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:10 PM

5 posts, read 10,319 times
Those bystanders are set baby!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2013, 11:03 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
There should be an NYC version of this website:
Chicago Murder, Homicide & Crime 2013 Stats | Chicago Murder, Crime & Mayhem | HeyJackass!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City