Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 08:37 AM

20 posts, read 29,751 times

Advertisements

I relocated a few months ago to NYC from the South. I absolutely love it here and I love my job, but I abhor the street sexual harassers that are prevalent throughout my mostly black neighborhood.

I always dress in a conservative professional style, but without fail, I often encounter them while walking to the subway or while I'm just out and about minding my own business. It saddens me that 99.9% of the predators are black males, who seem to have no respect for black women. I have never been the subject of sexual harassment in mixed areas, or mostly white areas of the City.

What should I do about the plethora of street sexual harassers in my neighborhood? I'm wondering if I should contact the local police department about this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 09:04 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,223 times
You can't really do anything about it. If you don't feel comfortable then you should move. They are not going to change their behavior for you.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:08 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
If it makes you feel better, just about all men do this...some just do it more than others, depending on where they are, who they are around, and whether they feel like being annoying. There is a reason why when you walk by construction sites in NYC (which are overwhelmingly white males) there are huge signs that state: If you are harassed, please call this number.

Just go about your business and ignore it. I am sure it is annoying but these guys are harmless and usually losers.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:19 AM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
April,

I'd be interested to know what your definition of "sexual harasser" is?

Old 09-17-2013, 09:20 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
If it makes you feel better, just about all men do this...
Probably won't make her feel better since this isn't true.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:29 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I can only recommend changing your walking pattern, avoiding certain spots where they hangout or try walking with others.

Another thing most females don't do that makes them easy target is they don't make eye contact. Guys who harass usually very simple minded, they do it for the sport. When you look back at them and give them a stare, they might have 2nd thoughts next time. It doesn't always work but it's worth trying, you just have to get used to it as others have said you can't do anything about it.

Even if you report to the police, they would say only if they confront you and threatens you then they could do something.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:32 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
A lot of unemployed guys these days sitting around with nothing better to do.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:47 AM

20 posts, read 29,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I can only recommend changing your walking pattern, avoiding certain spots where they hangout or try walking with others.

Another thing most females don't do that makes them easy target is they don't make eye contact. Guys who harass usually very simple minded, they do it for the sport. When you look back at them and give them a stare, they might have 2nd thoughts next time. It doesn't always work but it's worth trying, you just have to get used to it as others have said you can't do anything about it.

Even if you report to the police, they would say only if they confront you and threatens you then they could do something.

I plan to videotape them and present the evidence to the police. I will also complain to the city council, my congressman and to the NYC public advocate, current mayoral candidate Bill DeBlasio!!!

Old 09-17-2013, 09:52 AM

259 posts, read 368,902 times
Quote:
This part seems true.

I understand from personal experience that street harassment is very scary and it shouldn't be happening in the first place. The OP wouldn't want to wait for that instance when the street harasser were to decide to cross the line and make things physical.

On a related note, it took years before the MTA put out the message that sexual harassment is uncool. The message should be distributed throughout the city.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:53 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April_in_September2013 View Post
I plan to videotape them and present the evidence to the police. I will also complain to the city council, my congressman and to the NYC public advocate, current mayoral candidate Bill DeBlasio!!!
Here we go again with race issues

Apparently this got changed. Use to read something like, You wouldn't say this if I were white. When I quoted and commented it read that but when it posted it said this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City