Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 11:28 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,598,743 times

Advertisements

So the water backed up in the basement recently. The plumber came out with a scope camera and on the video it was clear that the roots from the tree out front had gotten into the sewer line to the main and caused a blockage. He says that it will cost $40K to dig up the sewer drain and replace it! Does this seem right to you???? That's insane even for New York City with all the permits & high labor costs etc... - surely there's a cheaper solution. If we have all the roots cut up and pulled with a snake, won't that buy us a few years at least even if obviously the pipe is cracked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 11:38 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,035,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
So the water backed up in the basement recently. The plumber came out with a scope camera and on the video it was clear that the roots from the tree out front had gotten into the sewer line to the main and caused a blockage. He says that it will cost $40K to dig up the sewer drain and replace it! Does this seem right to you???? That's insane even for New York City with all the permits & high labor costs etc... - surely there's a cheaper solution. If we have all the roots cut up and pulled with a snake, won't that buy us a few years at least even if obviously the pipe is cracked?
My sewer line got clogged a year ago as well. The guy never put a camera in since he was able to clear the clog using the snake. We have a huge tree in front of our house and when the guy pulled out the snake there was some roots there. I was told that this is a common occurrence and not to worry. It's been a year now and still no issues yet. If this re-occurs I'll probably look into those special solutions that I can pour down the drain to keep the roots from growing.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:10 PM

3,072 posts, read 5,464,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

Yes, if they snake it out it should stay clear for some time. But it will eventually happen again. Digging up the sewer line is an extreme measure and not usually one that is suggested.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:23 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,246,602 times
$40k seems high, unless you have a long line. Friends of my brother had this happen with a 150-200 foot driveway and I think they paid less than $30k, though part was covered by insurance as the pipe has collapsed. This was out of the city, but even with city premiums, I would think that a replacement would be less than $40k.

There is another method where a burst pipe can be snaked/rooted and filled with a slurry so that it repairs the pipe in place. I am not sure of that is feasible for your situation.

I would, however, get a couple of more estimates. Check the Franklin Report for additional companies who can perform the sewer work.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-17-2013, 12:28 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,169,369 times
Wait--they're telling you that YOU would have to pay? I thought trees and sewers were city property. Why wouldn't the city take care of that?

Old 09-17-2013, 02:48 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,071,507 times
I would just get it snaked out. I had it done about 10 years ago because it backed up. Haven't had any problem since then.
You shouldn't have to replace the pipe unless it collapsed. The pipe to the street is the homeowner's responsibility.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall View Post
I would just get it snaked out. I had it done about 10 years ago because it backed up. Haven't had any problem since then.
You shouldn't have to replace the pipe unless it collapsed. The pipe to the street is the homeowner's responsibility.
lol

on a serious note, what I could never understand is why the OP didn't make one big map with everything included. It's a mess to click back and forth on each borough when sometimes all you want to see is across one street

Old 09-17-2013, 03:12 PM

2,437 posts, read 2,714,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Wait--they're telling you that YOU would have to pay? I thought trees and sewers were city property. Why wouldn't the city take care of that?
Property owners are responsible for sewer lines from sidewalk back.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Property owners are responsible for sewer lines from sidewalk back.
And, and conveniently trees are planted on the sidewalk. This guy is definitely trying to rip us off, I'll be getting a couple more estimates on the replacement - but it sounds like cleaning it out is a good option for the near future

Old 09-17-2013, 03:27 PM

44,878 posts, read 59,858,372 times
I'd have him power snake it out (even in NYC a matter if only a few hundred dollars) and add this:

ZEP 2 lb. Root Kill-ZROOT24 at The Home Depot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City