Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 01:38 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,522,282 times

Advertisements

As an evil yuppie, I expect to be hated upon on this thread. However, I implore you youngsters out there to start fiscal responsibility at a young age. Boglehead.org... bookmark it, and read the forums everyday like you do with citydata.

Last edited by 85dumbo; 09-18-2013 at 01:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 01:42 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,711,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Eastbound - As long as you work in a salon you have to accept that you will never on your own be able to afford the same lifestyle as your rich clients. I don't see that as a bad thing.
It depends on the salon (if you're talking hair). My fiance works at one and some of the people she works with make over a million a year.

Also, Even though she works with people and all of the clientele that come in wouldn't dare shop anywhere else other than barneys, she gets complimented all the time on her outfits that she bought at forever 21, h&m and tj maxx. There's a girl that she works with that gets her clothes from places like that as well but tries to play it off that they are much more expensive items. My fiance will straight up say when asked "Who are you wearing?" I don't know, I got it from TJ MAXX on clearance.

Last edited by skinnayyy; 09-18-2013 at 01:52 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 01:47 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,195,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Of course, designer clothes, bags, etc are all made in the same Asian factories. All you're really paying for is the name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
that is a really silly statement.

there is something called craftsmanship. Some things are made my hand and utilize very high end materials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Not really, none of those materials are actually that expensive. The difference between high-end and low-end fabrics and materials that are actaully used isn't anywhere near the mark-up differential. The mark-up on handbags is among the highest of any object sold.

Its called Intellectual Property. There is a reason that these companies spend huge amounts on IP lawyers to protect their trademark, trade dress and copyrights. The value is in the Intellectual Property, i.e. the name and appearance of the handbag, not the handbag itself. But they make $$$$ money on people who buy into the status concept. Of course they can't make something that'll fall apart in a year, but handbag technology isn't rocket science.

If you're on a desert island, and there's no-one to observe you, you'll soon ditch the Prada and pick up the EMS backpack.
I agree with Sirtiger. Writerdude is stating that ALL those products are made in Asia, which is not correct. You can have high end items made in China but with materials that were made in Italy, France, Spain, USA, etc. There are high end companies who manufacture only in Europe.

Inexpensive items are made cheaply with cheap materials. There's certainly a difference between a $500 leather Coach bag and a $20 "leather" bag from Target. There's a difference between a $200 dining set from Liquidators and a $1000 dining set from Thomasville.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:13 PM

809 posts, read 1,270,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
that is a really silly statement.

there is something called craftsmanship. Some things are made my hand and utilize very high end materials.
It's not silly.

Only VERY few like Hermes or Turnbull & Asser strictly make it locally. That's why they cost 50,000s.

Everyone else (even gucci, canali, Brioni etc.,) makes them elsewhere - if you watch closely, you will see Morocco, Mexico, Tunisia, Taiwan etc.,

I am a brand geek and I vouch for it

The Euro zone crisis has forced these Euro fashion houses to join the offshoring party. Italy in particular.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:26 PM

9,241 posts, read 24,010,106 times
The only way to achieve any financial security is to live below,maybe well below, your means, so that you can save and invest the surplus.If you live beyond your means you spend your life in debt and will likely sink and if you live at or slightly within your means, you tread water forever.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:20 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,324,292 times
I'm not over thirty but my husband and I definitely have a certain lifestyle that allows us to save quite a bit of money even though neither of us make a lot of money. We're also pretty simple in terms of what we like so we're easy to please. Since I couldn't care less about purses/sunglasses (I destroy all my stuff) or hair (I haven't been to a hair dresser in probably 2+ years), I spend my money on other stuff that other people do not have in the city---our coop that we put down 30% on, our car, etc. I'll keep shopping at factory outlets because I'd be more annoyed at myself for spending $150 on a pair of jeans, rather than enjoying them. But that's me.

I will say that when I was laid-off, it wasn't even a strain. I wasn't happy about it but we didn't really change anything about how we lived. The only thing that we don't have (that I still want) is cable. We had cable and then years ago, when I left my first job, we ditched it because we couldn't afford it. But I've always missed it. (Sad, I know.)

Old 09-18-2013, 05:21 PM

589 posts, read 1,217,156 times
Live like no one else now to live like no one else in the future.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:24 PM

11,195 posts, read 9,030,946 times
stop trying to keep up with the joneses!

Old 09-18-2013, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 4,082 times
Maybe invest that money in learning how to make your own nice bag? The furniture I make is much nicer than what I would be comfortable buying.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:04 PM

106,110 posts, read 108,094,712 times
You never know how really thirsty you can get until the well runs dry.

Living below your means is only part of the story to be successful.

It cracks me up sometimes over on the frugal living forum the lengths people go to save a few bucks.

But they are blind to one very important over looked fact.

That is a penny saved is a penny earned but alas it is still a penny.

Without using the power of compounding growth through good investing skills that money will never amount to much.

It is rarely the little bits we round up from being frugal or our paychecks that create wealth. It is compounding gains over decades that do.

It usually turns out the most frugalist people either shy away from investing their money or they are financially ignorant about doing so.

The reality is if they learned to be financially more aware, better investors, and had a better plan and lived LESS frugally they would be farther ahead.

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-18-2013 at 06:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City