Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 07:30 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,924 times

Advertisements

Linden, Hylan, Victory may be called "boulevards" but they really embarrass the word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 03:29 PM

579 posts, read 945,438 times
The Bronx has Southern Boulevard, Bruckner Boulevard and the official name of the Grand Concourse was once Grand Concourse and Boulevard. Not as much as Queens but three nonetheless. The Bronx has a lot of streets named Parkways.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:35 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,912,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
The Bronx has Southern Boulevard, Bruckner Boulevard and the official name of the Grand Concourse was once Grand Concourse and Boulevard. Not as much as Queens but three nonetheless. The Bronx has a lot of streets named Parkways.
Every borough has around 2-3 major streets that are know as Boulevards, but Queens has over 20. Bronx has a lot of Parkways and Avenues though, and even Roads.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:57 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,310,360 times
Queens, Woodhaven, Northern are major boulevards, but most others are no different than avenues.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:40 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,041,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Linden, Hylan, Victory may be called "boulevards" but they really embarrass the word.
A section of Linden Blvd in Brooklyn, between Kings Highway and Conduit Blvd, is very wide. Conduit Blvd (which, ironcially, becomes Conduit Ave when it enters Queesn) is also wide).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
The Bronx has Southern Boulevard, Bruckner Boulevard and the official name of the Grand Concourse was once Grand Concourse and Boulevard. Not as much as Queens but three nonetheless.
The Bronx also has Bedford Park Boulevard, and Bronx Boulevard.

Quote:
The Bronx has a lot of streets named Parkways.
I don't think the Bronx has that many streets named Parkways. The Bronx River Parkway, Hutchinson River Parkway, and Henry Hudson Parkway are "real" parkways, not streets. The only streets in the Bronx that I'm aware of that are named Parkways are Mosholu Parkway (and part of that is a "real" parkway), Pelham Parkway (technically, Bronx and Pelham Parkway), and Crotona Parkway (which is basically a service road for Southern Boulevard). Are there other streets named Parkways in the Bronx?

Brooklyn definitely has the most number of streets named Parkways: Ocean Parkway, Eastern Parkway, Fort Hamilton Parkway, Bay Parkway, Bay Ridge Parkway, and Rockaway Parkway. The only "real" parkway in Brooklyn is the Belt Parkway, and its service roads are known as Shore Parkway.

Queens has Douglaston Parkway, Little Neck Parkway, Marathon Parkway, and Utopia Parkway. In the Queens naming system, I'm not sure how any of them are different from Boulevards. "Real" parkways in Queens are the Belt Parkway, Cross Island Parkway, Grand Central Parkway, and Jackie Robinson (formerly Interboro) Parkway. Subsections of the Belt Parkway, and its service roads, are Shore Parkway, Southern Parkway (not to be confused with the Southern State Parkway in Nassau and Suffolk Counties), and Laurelton Parkway. The name Southern Parkway, however, is never used for service roads, since that part of the Belt Parkway uses Conduit Ave as its service road. The Rockaway may have streets called Shore Front Parkway, and Cross Bay Parkway. I know both were parts of what were planned as a much larger project, so I don't know if either of those streets really exists or if those names are really used.

I'm not sure if Staten Island or Manhattan have any streets named Parkways. I know that in Manhattan, part of 110th Street has the alternate name Cathedral Parkway, but I'm not sure if that counts. The only parkway I know of in Staten Island is the Korean War Veterans Memorial (formerly Richmond) Parkway, which is a "real" parkway, not a street.

Going back to boulevards: in Manhattan, "Boulevard" seems to mostly be used for honorary names, mostly in Harlem:

Martin Luther King Boulevard = 125th Street
Malcolm X Boulevard = Lexington Ave
Adam Clayton Powell Boulevard = 7th Ave in Harlem
Frederick Douglass Boulevard = 8th Ave in Harlem
Juan Pablo Durate Boulevard = St. Nicholas Ave
Duke Elington Boulevard = W. 106th Street (that might be the only one outside of Harlem)

The only Boulevard in Manhattan that I can think of offhand that has no other name is Cabrini Boulevard, in Washington Heights, which, ironically, is a fairly narrow street.

Not in Manhattan, but in the Bronx, another example of an honorary boulevard:

Celia Cruz Boulevard = Fordham Road

Other boulevards in Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island have already been discussed. But one other major boulevard that hasn't been mentioned yet is McGuinness Blvd, in Brooklyn.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:44 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,041,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Queens, Woodhaven, Northern are major boulevards, but most others are no different than avenues.
Cross Bay Boulevard (which is a southern extenstion of Woodhaven Boulevard) I'd also consider to be major, but not as major as Woodhaven. Francis Lewis Boulevard is very long, and in some areas, very wide, but I don't think it's as much of a main artery as Queens Blvd, Woodhaven Blvd, or Northern Blvd.

Another boulevard in Queens that I don't think has been mentioned yet is Merrick Boulevard, which becomes Merrick Road (not to be confused with Merrick Avenue) in Nassau County and in Amityville (in Suffolk County), and becomes Montauk Highway east of Amityville. And another boulevard in Queens is Yellowstone Boulevard, which I don't think is very major, but I could be wrong.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Cross Bay Boulevard (which is a southern extenstion of Woodhaven Boulevard) I'd also consider to be major, but not as major as Woodhaven. Francis Lewis Boulevard is very long, and in some areas, very wide, but I don't think it's as much of a main artery as Queens Blvd, Woodhaven Blvd, or Northern Blvd.

Another boulevard in Queens that I don't think has been mentioned yet is Merrick Boulevard, which becomes Merrick Road (not to be confused with Merrick Avenue) in Nassau County and in Amityville (in Suffolk County), and becomes Montauk Highway east of Amityville. And another boulevard in Queens is Yellowstone Boulevard, which I don't think is very major, but I could be wrong.
Yellowstone Blvd is a minor street. Nearby 108 street in Forest Hills or Coronas 111 Street are more boulevard like.

Anyway, here's some of the boulevards in Queens that are big streets-

Queens Blvd
Northern Blvd
Woodhaven Blvd
Cross Bay Blvd
Francis Lewis Blvd
College Point Blvd
Merrick Blvd
Springfield Blvd
Rockaway Blvd

There's many more, but for the most part, they aren't as big as these, however most of them are still major commercial streets. Linden Blvd in Brooklyn ironically is much more Boulevard like then its Queens stretch, and really, if it wasn't for the Brooklyn stretch, Linden Boulevard probably wouldn't really be considered a boulevard.

One street that is very wide and goes north-south that I'm surprised hasn't been given a name or boulevard status is the Kew Garden Hill stretch of 164 street. It's a pretty big street [bigger then nearby Parsons or Kissena Blvd] and gets a lot of traffic too.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Yellowstone Blvd is a minor street. Nearby 108 street in Forest Hills or Coronas 111 Street are more boulevard like.

Anyway, here's some of the boulevards in Queens that are big streets-

Queens Blvd
Northern Blvd
Woodhaven Blvd
Cross Bay Blvd
Francis Lewis Blvd
College Point Blvd
Merrick Blvd
Springfield Blvd
Rockaway Blvd

There's many more, but for the most part, they aren't as big as these, however most of them are still major commercial streets. Linden Blvd in Brooklyn ironically is much more Boulevard like then its Queens stretch, and really, if it wasn't for the Brooklyn stretch, Linden Boulevard probably wouldn't really be considered a boulevard.

One street that is very wide and goes north-south that I'm surprised hasn't been given a name or boulevard status is the Kew Garden Hill stretch of 164 street. It's a pretty big street [bigger then nearby Parsons or Kissena Blvd] and gets a lot of traffic too.
I forgot about Seagirt Blvd in Far Rockaway, another big street.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:02 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
The very BEST boulevard, the Boulevard Of Broken Hearts.

MARIANNE FAITHFULL - BOULEVARD OF BROKEN DREAMS - YouTube

Old 09-22-2013, 09:31 AM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Are there other streets named Parkways in the Bronx?
Claremont Parkway

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City