U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 10:47 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,402,236 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your imput NooYowkur81. I can agree with you. For whatever reason, Fordham, Harlem, or Wash. Heights are great places to visit, Well for me. I even know people in some of them, who haven't complaint living there. I will never visit those other 'ghettos' you mention. I try to visit some of them, like Far Rockaway, Soundview and Mt Vernon. So I will never recommend people to look for cheaper places in those ghettos. So there is a difference after all. Now we are getting somewhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 11:09 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,557,348 times
I agree there is a difference between "the ghetto" and "the hood," as some of my former co-workers would say. Ghetto areas are somewhat rundown and have a higher crime rate than their nicer neighboring area, however on the whole they aren't too bad (Washignton Heights, Inwood, Fordham). However hoods are usually the worst neighborhoods in the Metro area with open drug dealing going on, hookers walking the steets, and large number of project housing and burnt out and abandoned private housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Yeah but you have to admit some are much worse than others. For instance I would feel much more comfortable in Fordham, Harlem, or Wash. Heights than in Soundview, or East New York. I also find some parts of Yonkers, Mt Vernon, Far Rockaway, and Staten Island to be scary as hell and you will never find me there for sure.

There are different degrees of ghetto. lol. Some places are ghetto and some places are real ghetto.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:26 PM

5,720 posts, read 18,544,063 times
Let me give it a try in terms of crime rate this year: From worse to best

Bronx

Hunts Point
Melrose/Morrisania
East Tremont
Mott Haven
University Heights/Fordham
Soundview/Castle Hill
Morris Heights

I've been to East Tremont and that's someplace I would never live in. Everything seems desolate, there's not a lot of action going on. But it's a haven for drugs and crime, you never know who could jump out on you.

Hunts Point I also wouldnt go there. The crime rate is just too darn high (1800+!) Plus alot of industrial buildings.

Other than that, the others I'd live in. Id be wary of Melrose/Morrisania due to the amount of projects in the area, same goes for Mott Haven. But if forced to live there, I'd would. As far as University Heights/Fordham, it's very crowded. There are no projects in the area, so the high crime comes from regular tenement buildings, but there are alot of thefts. Also the side blocks in those neighborhoods are packed full of drugs. But I'd live there. The above goes for Morris Heights as it's basically no different than University Heights. The whole west Bronx is full of gangs, DDP/Trinitario/Bloods etc...thats a big problem. Soundview I'd live in. The crime rate isn't as bad as the others...even though it's bad. I think most of the crime come from the projects, so I would definately live there if not in projects......also has alot more houses than some other neighborhoods.....probably my first choice.

Another one I haven't mentioned is the strip along White Plains road. I definately would not live there (in 200's). IMO, definiton of a ghetto.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upper Manhattan (IMO from worst to best)

East Harlem
Washington Heights
Central Harlem
West Harlem
Inwood

Im not an expert on the uptown area but I know I wouldn't live in East Harlem. Been on 125th and Lexington, and it was just to ghetto for me. Washington Heights is jampacked with people. My only worry would be the DDP/Triniario gangs, and the drugs. Not sure if I would live there, maybe. I don't know much about Central Harlem but Im leaning towards no there too. West Harlem and Inwood I'd move in too however.

Brooklyn

Browsville
Bed-Stuy
East NY
Bushwick

I wouldn't live in any of those places. Never been to any of them, but heard alot of bad about them.

Remember just my opinion, so don't kill me!

Old 11-17-2007, 12:31 PM

6,993 posts, read 16,040,430 times
Bed Stuy isn't bad, that one you can live in with little problem depending on area. Parts of fort green isn't bad, also flatbush/crown heights border area isn't the best but fairly safe.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:38 PM

706 posts, read 3,551,440 times
It would be necessary to define "ghetto"

My first thought of a "ghetto" is a place where NO ONE wants to live...

rats, roaches, dirty streets.

Do you mean low-income areas of NYC?

If so, how "low"?

Old 11-18-2007, 09:40 PM

706 posts, read 3,551,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
Hmm, how about a regular working class person that can't afford a condo? Which usually are the people moving around in the city. So what 'ghetto' wil be ok for that person.
There are very many decent "working-class" areas all over NYC and Long Island.

In fact, I think that is the majority.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:13 PM

842 posts, read 4,089,060 times
Everything Donnareed says, someone already said

Old 11-19-2007, 04:54 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,279,977 times
OK folks...this is a good topic for this forum indeed because of ll the mostly pointless, ubiquitous obsessoin over ghettos.

There are very few places in this city I wouldn't live in or at least visit without hesitation.

Yesterday I went to East 110 St to adopt a cat qt the animal shelter. Waited three or four hours, and talked to people getting or dropping off pets. Asked the Hispanic woman working the applications what good restaurantws there were in the hood. Great steakhouse, Italian joint, mexican place, Chinas Latinas. Went over about 8 or 9, ate at the Mexican place, bought flowers across the street. Ordered in Spanish (trying to practice my conversational Spanish with the locals like the cab and car drivers, etc.

In short, no problemo, my friends.,

Example two: a few days ago I ran out of cigs. Ws midnite and I called the security guard in my bldg to see if he tho0ughtt it was safe to go to ATM machine and deli. He said suire--just take an umbella cause it was drizzling.

Wound up walking several blocks on Fordham to find a bank ATM. Then came back to deli for cigs. Old middle eastern storeowner was so happy to see me (a two pack a day smoker? Manna from heaven) that he came outside to tell me to come everyday and then...get this...he kissed my hand.

Need I say more?

Old 11-19-2007, 11:45 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,181,818 times
^^^ cool story... but the guy "kissing my hand" part was creepy... Lesson?? Don't walk to the ATM at night in the Bronx.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:16 PM

25,505 posts, read 38,932,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
OK folks...this is a good topic for this forum indeed because of ll the mostly pointless, ubiquitous obsessoin over ghettos.

There are very few places in this city I wouldn't live in or at least visit without hesitation.

Yesterday I went to East 110 St to adopt a cat qt the animal shelter. Waited three or four hours, and talked to people getting or dropping off pets. Asked the Hispanic woman working the applications what good restaurantws there were in the hood. Great steakhouse, Italian joint, mexican place, Chinas Latinas. Went over about 8 or 9, ate at the Mexican place, bought flowers across the street. Ordered in Spanish (trying to practice my conversational Spanish with the locals like the cab and car drivers, etc.

In short, no problemo, my friends.,

Example two: a few days ago I ran out of cigs. Ws midnite and I called the security guard in my bldg to see if he tho0ughtt it was safe to go to ATM machine and deli. He said suire--just take an umbella cause it was drizzling.

Wound up walking several blocks on Fordham to find a bank ATM. Then came back to deli for cigs. Old middle eastern storeowner was so happy to see me (a two pack a day smoker? Manna from heaven) that he came outside to tell me to come everyday and then...get this...he kissed my hand.

Need I say more?
Based on this statement, its safe to say that crime no longer exists in the city. Wonder what all the NYPD is going do now that they're out of a job, right?
I live in Far Rock and I go out for cigarettes 2 in the morning frequently. Maybe I'm missing your point here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City