U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 09:16 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,309,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
theres a few gated buildings with security behind devoe park, on webb ave. that might be where she lives. a couple of isolated buildings dont represent how university heights is---at all. that area has lots of problems. Moreso towards the L--but even by BXCC, where its a bit quieter, you're still in the ghetto.
absolutely, I had relatives who lived in the PJs there many years ago and the area went to hell in the '70s and it hasn't gotten any better
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 09:19 PM

216 posts, read 925,965 times
i believe it was a few weeks ago that the first person in ny was convicted under the new 'terrorism law', where someone can be tried as a terrorist. guess where he was from ? university heights.

lol my old hood has terrorists livin in it.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:37 PM

5,719 posts, read 18,549,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
Ok so is the 5th in crime (according to you), but besides how high crime it might be, I have been to University Heights and alot of it looks ok from a streetscape point of view. I have to believe that the crime there usually happens late at night. I doubt the majority of the people witness crime all the time. Dangerous or not, I have walk in this hood before and I have to say that I like walking here. For me is sure better to walk than walking in Melrose or Morrisana or even Soundview. The vibrancy and the amount of people in Fordham Avenue is always a pleasant thing. One day I will take a photo tour of this neighborhood. Just wait.

Meanwhile I will leave you with this shot I took back in May...

Wow, you see how crowded it is; well at night those street corners are packed with drug dealers. Take a picture of aqueduct walk, and count the crackheads. Ok, take the pictures but stop trying to conveniently avoid the run down blocks. I want you to take a pictures of W 183rd street from Jerome ave to Andrews ave. Tell me how "nice" the neighborhood is then. Take all the pics you want but be aware of your sorroundings, alot of gangs there. One thing good with the W Fordham strip is that alot of the graffiti has been removed, especially in the area around the X-bar. Probably not to scare people away. Here are some pics of the area that I found on the internet.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/6473/fordham16pv0sx2.jpg (broken link)

Best I could find. But take pics, and I'll gladly eat crow.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
She just say she enjoy walking in her hood. What, are people in that hood scare all the time of crime, that they can't even go to a local store or some restaurant and enjoy themselves? I have a hard time believing that they are that scare. What nonsence?
no, what i find hysterical though is that she had to ask her security guard if he thought it was safe to run out and buy cigarretes. LMAO oh the irony. that speaks volumes in itself.

picture it.... someone jettin from their gated building to the corner store, comin back and saying....hmm that wasnt so bad, i live in a great neighborhood !

talk about livin in a bubble lol

Old 11-19-2007, 11:33 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,402,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Wow, you see how crowded it is; well at night those street corners are packed with drug dealers. Take a picture of aqueduct walk, and count the crackheads. Ok, take the pictures but stop trying to conveniently avoid the run down blocks. I want you to take a pictures of W 183rd street from Jerome ave to Andrews ave. Tell me how "nice" the neighborhood is then. Take all the pics you want but be aware of your sorroundings, alot of gangs there. One thing good with the W Fordham strip is that alot of the graffiti has been removed, especially in the area around the X-bar. Probably not to scare people away. Here are some pics of the area that I found on the internet.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/6473/fordham16pv0sx2.jpg (broken link)

Best I could find. But take pics, and I'll gladly eat crow.
What do you mean scare people away, those photos are not at all that scary. Lol.

Ok so that photo I posted didn't show how crowded Fordham Avenue can get, but if you have been in the area before, you know that it does get crowded with shoppers.

Here are other photos I took back in February,

I do agree that there are probably people selling drugs at night. I am not denying that. But that doesn't mean some people can't actually enjoy walking in this neighborhood and go shopping or go to a restaurant. Please.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:53 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,402,965 times
Here are more photos of the area close by. Non shopping regular streets. So daytime is the time to enjoy these hoods right? Ok I am down with that. There are other hoods that kind of scare me in the daytime, and will never attempt to take photos. LOL. So I guess this is an improvement for a 'ghetto'. Been able to take a walk in the daylight and for the most part not been bothered to do so.

Photos I took in June of this year...

Oh and I am also so surprise how clean these sidewalks are. an improvement for a 'ghetto'.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
I do agree that there are probably people selling drugs at night. I am not denying that.
only at night ? do you like SERIOUSLY think that ?

wait, u probably do. b/c ur the person who also said that drug activity happens on desolate streets with no people around. LOL

heres the real though--shop is open 24/7 (yes daytime too) and flourishes in densely packed areas.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:28 AM

5,719 posts, read 18,549,284 times
Yea, drugs are sold at all times of day. These people have to make a living so why would they only work at night. Day or night don't matter.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Yea, drugs are sold at all times of day. These people have to make a living so why would they only work at night. Day or night don't matter.
the ironic part is he/she posted a pic of 194th/decatur, a horrible block---very notorious for drugs. in the past, there have been drug WARS on that precise strip.

some ppl are funny. do they even know these areas ? b/c they just pass by, jump out of their car for a few seconds and take a quick snapshot of an area, then take off----proves what, exactly ? that everything is nice and dandy ? lol

anyway, i dont see anything 'pretty' in those pics. just ghetto buildings, bodegas and laundromats.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:58 AM

25,538 posts, read 38,960,618 times
Quote:
She just say she enjoy walking in her hood. What, are people in that hood scare all the time of crime, that they can't even go to a local store or some restaurant and enjoy themselves? I have a hard time believing that they are that scare. What nonsence?
reread what she wrote...she went and asked the doorman if it was ok to go outside this late at night and he said yeah just take an umbrella...meaning that it was her 1st time doing that....so now she went and got cigarettes late at night and nothing happened now she thinks her neighborhood is gentrified....bull****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City