U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 07:03 AM

25,952 posts, read 39,225,460 times

Advertisements

194th and decatur???? lol u must be kidding me
aint this close to that famous church where the father kicked the guys out the church for selling drugs during the service? and this happened in the daily news a couple of months ago. its a drug area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 09:29 AM

5,720 posts, read 18,593,668 times
lol wow 194th and decatur.........a good block ......pretty funny.........notorious for drugs...it's 24hr a day stores where drugs would go in and out...in no way shape or form is that block even halfway decent.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:43 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,408,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
the ironic part is he/she posted a pic of 194th/decatur, a horrible block---very notorious for drugs. in the past, there have been drug WARS on that precise strip.

some ppl are funny. do they even know these areas ? b/c they just pass by, jump out of their car for a few seconds and take a quick snapshot of an area, then take off----proves what, exactly ? that everything is nice and dandy ? lol

anyway, i dont see anything 'pretty' in those pics. just ghetto buildings, bodegas and laundromats.
Ok, first of all, is a he. And I don't drive to take photos. Go to the New York Photo thread for my other walking tours of the city.

Sorry 194 and whatever, I walk by, took my photos, and I just didn't see anything. So I am sorry to dissapoint. I even walk there a couple of times before I decided to take these photos. That is how I do it. So whatever you want to think I don't give a **** really. That is how I experiece my walks. Didn't see ****. LOL. Although I have seen gangs of young people hanging around on in other blocks. Selling drugs, hanging out? Who knows, but that is a crime that I am not scare of, and I am sure other people are neither. I experience alot of that ****, back in Philadelphia. Even on the same block I lived.

So laught at me all you want. LOL, I laugh back at you.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:10 PM

25,952 posts, read 39,225,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
Ok, first of all, is a he. And I don't drive to take photos. Go to the New York Photo thread for my other walking tours of the city.

Sorry 194 and whatever, I walk by, took my photos, and I just didn't see anything. So I am sorry to dissapoint. I even walk there a couple of times before I decided to take these photos. That is how I do it. So whatever you want to think I don't give a **** really. That is how I experiece my walks. Didn't see ****. LOL. Although I have seen gangs of young people hanging around on in other blocks. Selling drugs, hanging out? Who knows, but that is a crime that I am not scare of, and I am sure other people are neither. I experience alot of that ****, back in Philadelphia. Even on the same block I lived.

So laught at me all you want. LOL, I laugh back at you.
well lets say i just got a place in that area and i post on here looking for information about that particular part of fordham.....should i be more inclined to hear out a resident or frequent visitor to the area, or somebody who did a couple of "walks" and didnt see anything?

Old 11-20-2007, 12:47 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,408,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
well lets say i just got a place in that area and i post on here looking for information about that particular part of fordham.....should i be more inclined to hear out a resident or frequent visitor to the area, or somebody who did a couple of "walks" and didnt see anything?
Ofcourse a resident is more useful for information. I am aslo interested in these areas. LOL. I don't know why, but they look so interesting to me. Must be the History of it all. That is why I love to go out of my regular 'area' and go visit these places. I don't need to, right, since I live in the safe heaven of the Upper West Side. But maybe is because I lived and went to schools in a Ghetto before (Philly time!). I just want to state my observations that is all. If you or others think that this is a really bad area, then I don't blame you. But I seen worse, and I don't blame myself when I think, of Fordham as not as bad as other places. I didn't see anything alarming myself, and believe me, I have seen plenty of alarming things before. I don't know if I recommend Fordham to some people on this forum (I don't think that I ever did) but this is a place for some immigrants to probably consider. Especially the hispanics immigrants who are been price out of Manhattan and Queens.

Anyway wasn't there a resident name Elvira and you guys chase away? She had as much right to talk about her neighborhood and her observations as much as some of you do.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:22 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,298,885 times
^ These areas of Fordham are just as expensive or more so than areas of Queens and Manhattan that an immigrant would be priced out of.

The reason I'm saying this is because the person that is priced out of a low to middle income area anywhere in the city has probably been there awhile. So whatever they are paying would be much less than a newcomer to any other low - middle income area.

So if they can't afford what they are paying now where do they go? I don't know. I know people that have relocated to PA, Orange cnty, and other places they are still commuting 2 hrs to come to Manhattan to work and they were priced out of really low income areas in the other boros. These people are making a little more than the 45K someone said is average salary for the city. The commute is killing them. Some people are not hearty enough for this type of commuting.

Someone posted links to articles for people that saved money to buy in lower income areas and these people that these articles refer to make much more than people that are being priced out of low income areas in Queens or Manhattan.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:26 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,000,024 times
No, in general the Bronx and Fordham are way less expensive than Queens or any part of Manhattan for real estate (but I still would call it expensive). It’s a shame that anyone would get priced out of their neighborhood. I’ve been in NYC for many years, and I got priced out of pretty much all the neighborhoods where I rented before deciding to buy, including Hells Kitchen, Inwood, Astoria. It’s hard for middle as well as low income people trying to buy in the city these days.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:43 PM
DAS

^No I don't think you understand what I mean. Some people have been living in an area 10 or more years. I am not referring to newcomers of 5 years or less. I am also referring to low income - middle income areas.

So for these people their starting rents where much less and their current rents are still much less than the Bronx or Fordham. For instance 5 years ago a 2 bedroom apt on
W 110th in Harlem could be had for less than $600 in a so - so rent stabilized building. So this person would pay less than $900 today. 2 bedrooms are not starting at $900 anywhere, for a rent stabilized apt.

There are people paying much lower than that if they lived in places much longer than 5 years. Most of the time there are more than 5 people living in the apt so they can't move to anything less than 2 bedrooms. They can but as you can probably guess these situations are usually not the best.

These people make too much usually for subsidized housing and they won't pass the income requirements to move to another rent stabilized apt. They don't have the income to buy.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:26 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,000,024 times
Yes, I understand what you’re talking about now DAS, but it’s not only low income people in this situation. I have an acquaintance who has a very small rent-stabilized one bedroom in the east 50s that she’s lived in forever but pays very little money for. She actually owns her own small company now and grew out of the place a long time ago, but has not made a move because the apartment’s such a deal. Now she feels stuck because she would be priced out of her neighborhood were she to give the place up. Unlike a low income person in the same situation, she could afford to buy still in NYC, but not in her neighborhood.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:28 PM
DAS

Yes I understand your friends situation. There are quite a few people in this situation in the UWS and other neighborhoods like it around the city. Why would you move out of these neighborhoods that have the great stores, the good postal service and all the other amenities to buy in a less favorable area. Some will and I can understand that as well. As you point out your friend has the means to make more choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City