Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:14 PM

12 posts, read 51,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSoBe View Post
having the balance of a cat when it comes to riding in rocking subway cars.
hahaha! subway surfing is something I do to amuse myself when I forget my book or mp3 player. i see how long i can last on really shaky trains before I bump into someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 10:39 PM

56 posts, read 221,382 times
Do yall say "doohickeys" in NYC? That surprises me, I mean here we have doohickeys next the the thingamabobbers and the watchamacallits, but I didn't know that yall had doohickeys above the Mason Dixion line.

Funny thread..enjoyed reading it.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:41 PM

4 posts, read 56,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlee View Post
Ya'll have to pay to cross bridges?

What is a bodega?

Sorry, not stoopid...juss not from NY
Most of the list is true.

Speaking of bridges..... They are raising the toll on the Verrazano Bridge to $10.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:23 PM

173 posts, read 459,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslandGuy View Post

Speaking of bridges..... They are raising the toll on the Verrazano Bridge to $10.

Being from Pittsburgh originally and having to cross bridges all day long everyday to get anywhere...especially to the other side. I can't imagine why ya'll have to pay to cross a bridge, what if you don't have any money, what if you just wanna get home...can you walk across for free.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:01 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,313 times
Default You know you're from New York when:

Jay-walking is an art form.

Standing is an art form.

Smoking a cigarette is an art form.

Most of your clothes are black.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:02 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlee View Post
Being from Pittsburgh originally and having to cross bridges all day long everyday to get anywhere...especially to the other side. I can't imagine why ya'll have to pay to cross a bridge, what if you don't have any money, what if you just wanna get home...can you walk across for free.
Yes you can walk for free but it's long and windy. Might as well take the $1 buses

Old 12-02-2007, 10:29 AM

922 posts, read 3,860,320 times
Quote:
These are Pittsburgh bridges over the Monongahela River:

... and these are NYC bridges over the East River:

Quite a difference in size and span length. BTW - all three of the bridges in this photo are free to cross.

Larger, newer bridges (George Washington, Triborough, and Verrazano), have tolls, as do the four tunnels into Manhattan (Queens-Midtown, Battery, Lincoln, and Holland)

Most people pay their tolls with EZ Pass, a "doohickey" you attach to your windshield that deducts the tolls from a prepaid account linked to a credit card or checking account.

FYI - walking over the Brooklyn Bridge is a popular tourist activity. There is a wide deck above the roadway for pedestrians and bicyclists. Some great views of lower Manhattan, the river and harbor. It's free too!

Old 12-02-2007, 12:51 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psi2007 View Post
True. Don't forget you tell everyone "well in NY we have... " as if they don't have ...everywhere now (it's 2007 for crying out loud). Oh yeah you have to say it with a snotty attitude.
The general population doesn't know that.

But seriously, New York has many things that you''ll never find anywhere else but in New York. Same with London, same with Paris.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:16 PM

410 posts, read 1,675,645 times
I am from LI originally but worked in NYC for many years so I shall put in my 2 cents.
You know you are from NYC when you move to Texas and are told you walk and talk too fast. You are asked to slow down but your response is, "You need to speed up."
The first post is priceless.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:18 PM

410 posts, read 1,675,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslandGuy View Post

....and in Houston there was a public outcry when they wanted to raise the Toll Road to $1.75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City