Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 03:47 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
are people that are willing to work w her ever and however being discriminated against because employers prefer immigrants or people thAt fit a certain preferred criteria? If so, that must be dealt with.
I think much of that would come down to the individual applying. How the person is dressed when they apply and how well they communicate can make a great deal of difference to the outcome, regardless if an immigrant or not. Which applicant seems to need the job more, will work harder and stay with the employer long term? Will the immigrant be more willing to work long hours without complaint, maybe even for less pay? Some may see immigrants as better workers, use to long hours for little pay back home, be more dependable and a better bet long term. I would hope most employers would judge fairly on the qualifications presented and go from that.

November 1st is a terrible time to begin the cut, season's greetings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 03:49 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
i guess you feel like you're better than people on public assistance if you're too scared to answer the question.
It doesn't matter how I feel. The decision has been made for by the government to institute these cuts in ONE MONTH!

So why are you trying to personalize this?

Old 09-27-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I think much of that would come down to the individual applying. How the person is dressed when they apply and how well they communicate can make a great deal of difference to the outcome, regardless if an immigrant or not. Which applicant seems to need the job more, will work harder and stay with the employer long term? Will the immigrant be more willing to work long hours without complaint, maybe even for less pay? Some may see immigrants as better workers, use to long hours for little pay back home, be more dependable and a better bet long term. I would hope most employers would judge fairly on the qualifications presented and go from that.

November 1st is a terrible time to begin the cut, season's greetings.
If you use the holidays as an excuse, there is never a good time to begin the cut.

Back to the employers, those who hire immigrants illegally are breaking the law. Increase penalties to the point of jail and you end the hiring of those who are illegally right there.

This act ALONE would move people of welfare rolls, as there'd definitely be more jobs available. The nation is slowly moving in this direction. All versions of immigration reform would require all employers to use e-verify to verify one's legal status to work in the US.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:18 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If you use the holidays as an excuse, there is never a good time to begin the cut.

Back to the employers, those who hire immigrants illegally are breaking the law. Increase penalties to the point of jail and you end the hiring of those who are illegally right there.

This act ALONE would move people of welfare rolls, as there'd definitely be more jobs available. The nation is slowly moving in this direction. All versions of immigration reform would require all employers to use e-verify to verify one's legal status to work in the US.
Never a good time, but you don't find November a poor choice to enact a cut? I think spring is a better time than going into the holidays. It will be interesting to see if they serve more holiday meals at the shelters this year than the year prior.

Are you talking about illegal aliens or those immigrants eligible to legally work here? Or both groups? Upgrade the fines, but should the enforcement also be upgraded? That takes manpower which costs lots of money. Where does that come from? If the likelihood of getting caught is slim, higher fines or not it will continue.

OP, What percentage of those on benefits do you feel fit into the category of, as you term it, "poverty pimps"?

Old 09-27-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Never a good time, but you don't find November a poor choice to enact a cut? I think spring is a better time than going into the holidays. It will be interesting to see if they serve more holiday meals at the shelters this year than the year prior.

Are you talking about illegal aliens or those immigrants eligible to legally work here? Or both groups? Upgrade the fines, but should the enforcement also be upgraded? That takes manpower which costs lots of money. Where does that come from? If the likelihood of getting caught is slim, higher fines or not it will continue.

OP, What percentage of those on benefits do you feel fit into the category of, as you term it, "poverty pimps"?
Enforcement and imprisonment of those who knowingly hire illegal immigrants would end the problem. No business owner likes being locked up. Obviously that implies upgrading enforcement. Nov. is just a good time as any to cut benefits.

Truthfully it doesn't matter whether Nov. is a good time or bad time. Its a done deal. Its happening in one month.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:51 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
And these people ultimately need private sector jobs, and need to be off government/taxpayer support. The resources spent on this is at the expensive of the private sector, and is a cover up for doing nothing to address real issues in the job market and the economy.

But you don't want people to find work, do you Marilyn? You love the welfare programs above everything else.
I do want people to find work and I don't love the welfare system AT ALL, especially in NYC. Workfare in NYC does not allow leeway for people to learn a workable trade or at least get an associates degree in something.

It's a broken system that creates a PERMANENT slave class. There is no way to get "extra", unless you do under the table stuff or a family member gives you money to leave the city.

But you already know this.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I do want people to find work and I don't love the welfare system AT ALL, especially in NYC. Workfare in NYC does not allow leeway for people to learn a workable trade or at least get an associates degree in something.

It's a broken system that creates a PERMANENT slave class. There is no way to get "extra", unless you do under the table stuff or a family member gives you money to leave the city.

But you already know this.
Then your focus should be on ending things like offshoring of work, hiring of illegal immigrants, and other things that hurt working class people big time. Address the root cause issues, not just have more and more people on the rolls. Which isn't happening, as we both know they are being cut each time a new budget is passed.

And yes, it does create a permanent slave class as it creates a bunch of poor people dependent on the government.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:26 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,091 times
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day...TEACH a man to fish and he eats forever!

Keep those words in mind. Welfare people need to fend for themselves and acquire a skill instead of depending on uncle sam for a handout. Its bankrupting the government.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Then your focus should be on ending things like offshoring of work, hiring of illegal immigrants, and other things that hurt working class people big time.
I'm against this as well, but it's not going to be rectified EVER. The Obama administration has made it clear that they're not going after your run of the mill illegals, they're only going after felonious ones. Every time ICE puts out a press release saying how they've caught 2,000 illegals out of the MILLIONS that are here I just roll my eyes with disgust, because I know it's a gag.

I'm tired of Silicon Valley saying they can't find any 'qualified' techies in the US which is "forcing" them to issue visas to pakistan, china and india to pay them half the money, they'd pay an American.

I do not trust our government or feel they have the best interest of their citizens.

Welfare was cut not because it was draining the budget or that the government actually "cared" about people on the system. They created this Welfare Reform crap back in 1996, because they KNEW millions of jobs would be exported overseas, so they went on a full campaign of the lazy, good for nothing welfare recipients and they made sure that every picture of this "low life" had a black face. The darker that face the better.

It's not a coincidence that shortly after welfare reform took place, that more and more jobs started to leave the country. As a matter of fact, Clinton's last year in office showed that former professionals or regular office workers were only able to get part-time jobs or low wage jobs.

The government is attacking foodstamps for a REASON. They KNOW that the so-called "recovery" is a LIE. We NEVER left the recession. In fact, we're heading to depressionary status and there will be no get back from it. Not just here, but all across the world. Southern europe and France are experiencing what we are.

The reason they're cutting it in November rather than the Spring is because millions will lose their jobs either by Christmas or in January, so they need to get all slave like requirements in place BEFORE it happens.

Quote:
And yes, it does create a permanent slave class as it creates a bunch of poor people dependent on the government.
By the end of 2014, the "permanent slave class" will be former upper and middle class people.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day...TEACH a man to fish and he eats forever!

Keep those words in mind. Welfare people need to fend for themselves and acquire a skill instead of depending on uncle sam for a handout.
The US doesn't give "free" money to anyone. Stop perpetuating this fake *ish.

Quote:
Its bankrupting the government.
No. WALL STREET "bankrupted" the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City