Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 06:28 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times

Advertisements

Hahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 11:48 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
my dad retired at 50.

He came to this country with a few bucks in his pocket & made something for himself. He retired & couldn't adjust to retirement. Gained 20+ lbs and was bored as heck. After a few years of being sedentary, he went back to work to keep himself occupied & will retire when he hit 67 yrs old.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 PM

115 posts, read 306,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
My uncle, a recently retired University dean wants to retire in NYC. He stated he may pick up a part-time teaching gig at a local community college just to keep active.

Anyone retire to NYC from another state/city?

He's coming from Maryland.

(retire from U of M)

If your uncle wants to move here after retirement, he needs another form of income, such as SS, pension, savings, etc. Teaching part-time at a community college pays peanuts and the COL is extremely high in NYC. Perhaps if your uncle has a PhD, he might make a little more money.

After searching for years for any kind of teaching job, I just turned down a position as an adjunct at a local college because they wanted to pay me a paltry $2,000 for the whole semester. After calculating the amount of work I that would be putting in, it came out to $3-4 an hour. I guess that's the new way employers are trying to get around paying the minimum wage, by calling it a "salary." I told them no thanks and that I make a lot more than that waiting tables and tutoring.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:27 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPersonInNY View Post
If your uncle wants to move here after retirement, he needs another form of income, such as SS, pension, savings, etc. Teaching part-time at a community college pays peanuts and the COL is extremely high in NYC. Perhaps if your uncle has a PhD, he might make a little more money.

After searching for years for any kind of teaching job, I just turned down a position as an adjunct at a local college because they wanted to pay me a paltry $2,000 for the whole semester. After calculating the amount of work I that would be putting in, it came out to $3-4 an hour. I guess that's the new way employers are trying to get around paying the minimum wage, by calling it a "salary." I told them no thanks and that I make a lot more than that waiting tables and tutoring.

Don't assume everyone's financial situation is like yours

You might want to read the REST of the posts, specifically this one here.

Also, I am sure I said he'll teach just to keep active.
Based on reading your posts, I don't think comparing your situation to my uncles is remotely close. Apples and oranges.

I'm sorry about YOUR situation. It's safe me for me to say your financial situation is VASTLY different from my uncles. We can count on it.

Last edited by Rocco Barbosa; 09-23-2013 at 03:54 PM..

Old 09-23-2013, 04:01 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
WOW.......they haven internet in Heaven/Hell? Good to know, either way.

Yep, in Heaven it's optional but in Hell you must stay on it 24 hours a day for all eternity. I must be in Purgatory because I get to escape the keyboard once in a while.

But take it from one who has seen both sides of the coin: New York City is a LOT better a town to retire in than to work in. If your time is all your own you can have a VERY nice life here.
And remember the nitty gritty of inevitable aging in a place where you can have wonderful cuisine at your door 24/7, where there's a doctor or 6 on every block, with the best hospitals in the United States if taken in total.
Theater, museums, Central Park, nice weather, public transportation where even a wheel-chair bound person can be hoisted into a bus on his corner.

You cannot get all that in Reading, PA, or Sommerville, NJ or in one of those desperately dreary retirement communities in Ocean County, or Boca Raton.

Last edited by Kefir King; 09-23-2013 at 04:09 PM..

Old 09-23-2013, 07:38 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
NYC is considered a good place to retire. Compact city. Lots of activities.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:15 PM

420 posts, read 804,770 times
I just moved out of NYC about two months ago...when I retire in 20-25 years I'll definitely by an apartment there to spend 4-6 months of the year in.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
I just moved out of NYC about two months ago...when I retire in 20-25 years I'll definitely by an apartment there to spend 4-6 months of the year in.

Yeah, I can relate. Based on those numbers you and I are about the same age. I'm 39

Old 09-24-2013, 06:31 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
It's not unheard of to retire at that age. Retirement isn't always about not working again. A lot of times it's just having a job that brings less stress and responsibility or doing something you really enjoy but makes a lot less. i.e. working on a golf course.
excellent post.

Rocco: does you uncle need the money?

My parents takes some free classes at the community center & library for various subjects..... Foreign languages, crafts, history, etc etc....Quite a handful came from a variety of background from high paying corporate world or education like your uncle. They get paid peanuts to teach but I would assume its rewarding to give back to the community.

I noticed people here love to bring up nyc high cost of living in every other thread here.. Once you are retired & have a simplified life...its not bad at all.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
excellent post.

Rocco: does you uncle need the money?

My parents takes some free classes at the community center & library for various subjects..... Foreign languages, crafts, history, etc etc....Quite a handful came from a variety of background from high paying corporate world or education like your uncle. They get paid peanuts to teach but I would assume its rewarding to give back to the community.

I noticed people here love to bring up nyc high cost of living in every other thread here.. Once you are retired & have a simplified life...its not bad at all.
No, he doesn't need it. But he doesn't want to "sit around" either.

They(he and my aunt) have plenty. They've are very smart and have had a lot of success in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City