Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 08:48 AM

29 posts, read 42,830 times

Advertisements

I visited NYC last spring and fell in love. The family I lived with stayed in upper east manhattan which is very expensive. I am currently a student at the uni of Tn and I am studying accounting/finance. Is it easy to get summer internships in NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 09:33 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
you fell, in love with someone or with the city?

Old 09-23-2013, 10:06 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
find a furnished room.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:27 AM

29 posts, read 42,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
you fell, in love with someone or with the city?
city

Old 09-23-2013, 10:41 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
You're not going to be able to afford rent on an internship --- most pay very little. Do you have any supplemental $$$ from any source? All of Manhattan is very expensive, not just the Upper East Side!

Keep in mind, you're going to need money for your MetroCard to get around --- $112/month. Calculate what your food costs are going to be as well as your entertainment costs. Add to that clothing, laundry, and other incidental expenses.

Apartment prices in the outer boroughs vary. You can get an alcove studio in a doorman building for $1400/mo. You can also get a regular studio in someone's private home for $950-1000/mo.

If you plan to live in an outer borough, remember to keep in mind how far the apartment is from transportation as well as the time it takes to get into the area of Manhattan where your job is located..

If you absolutely want to live in Manhattan, you can rent a room somewhere but be VERY careful of where you rent!! You can also look into a room-mate situation but, honestly, who wants to share an apartment with a bunch of people you don't know?

OH!! Most importantly and before anyone else says it: Don't think you're coming to Manhattan to live the "Sex and the City" lifestyle or to "live on the set of "Friends" " Sorry.... just HAD to add that!! There are posters here who think anyone coming to live in Manhattan or NYC in general thinks they're going to live like the girls on SATC or the group on Friends

Last edited by Amisi; 09-23-2013 at 11:38 AM..

Old 09-23-2013, 01:10 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleBoy View Post
I visited NYC last spring and fell in love. The family I lived with stayed in upper east manhattan which is very expensive. I am currently a student at the uni of Tn and I am studying accounting/finance. Is it easy to get summer internships in NYC?
The best way to move to NYC is to arrive with a lot of money, hire a broker to find you a nice one bedroom in a trendy Manhattan or Brooklyn neighborhood and enjoy. You asked for the best way.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:17 PM

31 posts, read 55,025 times
Just...do all of us a favor and stay where you are. Don't ever plan on living here. Visit occasionally, but live where you're from, just like how those of us from NYC live where we're from.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:04 PM

4 posts, read 14,071 times
Don't do it.You will regret it

Old 09-23-2013, 02:11 PM

364 posts, read 708,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleBoy View Post
I am currently a student at the uni of Tn and I am studying accounting/finance. Is it easy to get summer internships in NYC?
Summer internships are hard to come by these days unless you come out of Ivy League schools. My sister graduated at University of VA with a high GPA (3.8+) and she couldn't find any work without knowing someone in the industry.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoryBlizzard View Post
Just...do all of us a favor and stay where you are. Don't ever plan on living here. Visit occasionally, but live where you're from, just like how those of us from NYC live where we're from.
At least half the city was born elsewhere. People do move on. Its a part of the American way for people to live where they want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City