Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 03:54 PM

3 posts, read 3,273 times

Advertisements

I am attending nursing school in Jamaica but I want to work in New York.... btw am almost through with my studies...What are my chances of relocating and getting a Job in New York? your replies would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 08:14 AM

74 posts, read 125,376 times
As a husband to a nurse, I would recommend going to a less populate (read: competitive) area away from major metros for new nurses.

My wife is a recent grad is having a nightmarish time finding traction in any nursing home, per diem or visiting nurse job. There are just way to many immigrant nurses from the Phillipines/China that are willing to do 12 hours worth of **** nursing work for 20-30% less pay than the generally accepted rate.

The farther away you can get from them the better.

Also, with no BSN, and no experience, you're better off going out of state to look for a place that'll take you in.

There is a nursing shortage, but in today's world of agencies, nursing administrator and Obamacare, you would be hired to do the job of 3 nurses and be paid a lot less than nurses did before. On top of major metro rates of rent, food, health insurance, and commute, nursing is not all that great of a vocation if you have other choices.

But hey, $25 an hour for someone with an Associates it's a pretty frickin' sweet deal. Just be prepared to suffer 15 hour shifts, mind-melting double-shifts and soul crushing administration.

Good Luck!

Old 09-26-2013, 03:24 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
I know people who could not get jobs here. They temporarily relocated to places where RNs were in demand for the experience and now they're already getting interviews for places in NY.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:37 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga View Post
As a husband to a nurse, I would recommend going to a less populate (read: competitive) area away from major metros for new nurses.

My wife is a recent grad is having a nightmarish time finding traction in any nursing home, per diem or visiting nurse job. There are just way to many immigrant nurses from the Phillipines/China that are willing to do 12 hours worth of **** nursing work for 20-30% less pay than the generally accepted rate.

The farther away you can get from them the better.

Also, with no BSN, and no experience, you're better off going out of state to look for a place that'll take you in.

There is a nursing shortage, but in today's world of agencies, nursing administrator and Obamacare, you would be hired to do the job of 3 nurses and be paid a lot less than nurses did before. On top of major metro rates of rent, food, health insurance, and commute, nursing is not all that great of a vocation if you have other choices.

But hey, $25 an hour for someone with an Associates it's a pretty frickin' sweet deal. Just be prepared to suffer 15 hour shifts, mind-melting double-shifts and soul crushing administration.

Good Luck!
My co-worker's daughter recently graduated and I have a relative who recently graduated. The co-worker's daughter went down to SC for school and she was able to find a job right after graduation. The relative is here with no job and no leads

Old 09-27-2013, 07:27 AM

259 posts, read 368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by <3 Shae <3 View Post
I am attending nursing school in Jamaica but I want to work in New York.... btw am almost through with my studies...What are my chances of relocating and getting a Job in New York? your replies would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!
Would you be graduating with an associate's or a bachelor's?

As another poster mentioned, it's challenging for a new nursing graduate (with no professional nursing experience) to get hired in this metropolitan area...and that's for those with a bachelor's degree in nursing who went to school in NYC. I don't know what the experience is for those with an associate's degree in nursing.

By the way, you should look over the state's list of licensing requirements.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:38 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
My co-worker's daughter recently graduated and I have a relative who recently graduated. The co-worker's daughter went down to SC for school and she was able to find a job right after graduation. The relative is here with no job and no leads
It's tough around here, that's for sure. You're relative might want to relocate. Too many places closing/laying off people as well, so if those workers are in unions their union is going to try to place them first. I'm in health care and it's the same in my field as well. Other people were telling students in my friend's program to get experience in a doctor's office or public school if they can't get in anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City