Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 07:55 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
even the highest rate listed was significantly cheaper than any option available to me when i was an independent contractor. as a single non smoker late twenties perfect health i paid well over 400/mo for high deductable catastrophic coverage with fairly bad benefits and networks and no frills. moreover, every single claim i submitted was challenged by the insurer, even crap like routine bloodwork

if i hadn't been in NYC - which had better options for self-employed folks than most places - it would have been even worse

so thanks for strengthening my case

Last edited by OdysseusNY; 09-26-2013 at 08:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 08:05 AM

5,112 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Do you have any real evidence to support that?
I met a good amount who do not have it and so far they have not run into any trouble YET. Below is some brief info from:
NYS Health Benefit Exchange FAQs - Federal Health Care Reform ...

"Q2. How many New Yorkers under age 65 do not have health insurance coverage?
Nearly 2.7 million New Yorkers under age 65, about 16 percent, do not have health insurance coverage.
The majority of the uninsured are workers and their families."

After reading some more, the situation is not as bad as I thought.
Thanks To Obamacare, New Yorkers’ Health Insurance Premiums Will Plunge 50 Percent

Old 09-26-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
even the highest rate listed was significantly cheaper than any option available to me when i was an independent contractor. as a single non smoker late twenties perfect health i paid well over 400/mo for high deductable catastrophic coverage with fairly bad coverage and networks and no frills. moreover, every single claim i submitted was challenged by the insurer, even crap like routine bloodwork

if i hadn't been in NYC - which had better options for self-employed folks than most places - it would have been even worse

so thanks for strengthening my case
I have not seen the premium numbers for high income bracket self employed yet. But ~$1,700 per year for a pretax $25,000 job will make it hard enough for NYC living.

An individual with annual income of $17,000 will pay about $55 a month for a silver plan, state regulators said. A person with a $20,000 income will pay about $85 a month for a silver plan, while someone earning $25,000 will pay about $145 a month for a silver plan

Old 09-26-2013, 08:18 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
I met a good amount who do not have it and so far they have not run into any trouble YET. Below is some brief info from:

Nearly 2.7 million New Yorkers under age 65, about 16 percent, do not have health insurance coverage.

Thanks To Obamacare, New Yorkers’ Health Insurance Premiums Will Plunge 50 Percent
I don't buy that. Listen do yourself a favor and talk to your family DR. Don't talk to politicians or talking heads. Talk to Dr's. I agree 100% with DSNY, everyone should get on the exchange. No exemptions for no one. I can't stand "Do as I say not as I do".

Old 09-26-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I have not seen the premium numbers for high income bracket self employed yet. But ~$1,700 per year for a [b]pretax $25,000 job will make it hard enough for NYC living.
developing a chronic illness while uninsured will make it impossible enough for any living. you are ignoring the fact that without this plan, many people will have no option whatsoever

actually you're not ignoring that, you're grossly misrepresenting it as an advantage rather than a problem. that somehow it's better to save a few bucks and hope you don't get sick

have you ever shopped for your own insurance? have you ever spent any time with a sick, uninsured individual?

health is not a purely financial concern

moreover, i don't pretend that the choice between paying for a plan, and having no plan and risking getting sick is some sort of freedom. that's the sort of thing people tell themselves is freedom, but in reality would never subject a loved one to

Old 09-26-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I have not seen the premium numbers for high income bracket self employed yet. But ~$1,700 per year for a [b]pretax $25,000 job will make it hard enough for NYC living
my income bracket had nothing to do with it. i still would have had to pay over $400 no matter what my job, or lack of one, was

actually if i was unemployed or worked off the books i wouldn't even have been eligible for the mediocre insurance i wound up with

Old 09-26-2013, 08:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:

I was asking about your statement that this will be too expensive for poor people.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:01 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Look at this website:

www.healthcare.gov

It has all the info you need as well as a link to the Kaiser Familiy Foundation where you can ESTIMATE what it will cost you.

Looks like I'm going to have to pay about $300/month and can get "some" back as a tax credit at the end of the year.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
moreover, i don't pretend that the choice between paying for a plan, and having no plan and risking getting sick is some sort of freedom. that's the sort of thing people tell themselves is freedom, but in reality would never subject a loved one to

Your points on heath risks are well taken, and the decision/option can vary from person to person. Now the OBCare deprives the option for individual americans to decide for themselves but this government makes the decision for all citizens (not sure how this affects the illegals). Like mentioned above, $1,700 (after tax money) a year OBCare premium for a $25,000 pretax job is a substantial amount for folks who are young and healthy. It is another way to squeeze money out of the young working class to subsidize the deficited and ill-run medicare/medicaid program.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:26 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Your points on heath risks are well taken, and the decision/option can vary from person to person. Now the OBCare deprives the option for individual americans to decide for themselves but this government makes the decision for all citizens (not sure how this affects the illegals). Like mentioned above, $1,700 (after tax money) a year OBCare premium for a $25,000 pretax job is a substantial amount for folks who are young and healthy. It is another way to squeeze money out of the young working class to subsidize the deficited and ill-run medicare/medicaid program.
Medicare is not ill-run, it's well funded going on well into the future. Although there are some challenges ahead as the baby boomers continue to retire. Your making the mistake many make of lumping Medicaid and Medicare together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City