Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 12:45 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,744,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
The NYPD are more concerned with speeding, parking, and groping you on the street then REAL crime. This is what happens when there is no oversight.
Again - The Police have little they can actually do about this tactic. The Bikes are fast and maneuverable and will scatter to the winds at the first sign of a police presence in force. Some even have retractable license plates. The Police will not generally engage in a chase as it is unsafe for the bystanders.

The California Highway Patrol has been fighting the problems for years and has come up with few good solutions. And the CA problem is probably easier as they do not have the canyons of Manhattan to deal with so they can in fact nail a single rider by air.

I would think the only real way would be a clever trap. But that is hard without risking the involvement of innocent passers by.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:51 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,644,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
And then after the gavel has been slammed, are you going to go hoorah and then forget about it completely?

I mean even with Ariel Castro case, everyone seemed to forget that it even happened and he hadn't even been sentenced yet. I don't think he had 105 pages on here though... just 105 pages of charges!
If Ariel Castro case happened in Manhattan, there will be 105 pages x 10 here.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:55 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,135,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Again - The Police have little they can actually do about this tactic. The Bikes are fast and maneuverable and will scatter to the winds at the first sign of a police presence in force. Some even have retractable license plates. The Police will not generally engage in a chase as it is unsafe for the bystanders.

The California Highway Patrol has been fighting the problems for years and has come up with few good solutions. And the CA problem is probably easier as they do not have the canyons of Manhattan to deal with so they can in fact nail a single rider by air.

I would think the only real way would be a clever trap. But that is hard without risking the involvement of innocent passers by.
I know they are fast and large. Maybe a massive police presence. Once they hear about them, block behind them, all exits, and close in on them. Arrest them, grind their bikes up. Let them have to buy new ones. Keep doing that and they will go broke and give up. I know, easier said then done. It's just annoying that they can continue to do this, but never seem to get in any real trouble.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:58 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,995,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Yes. NYPD needs to some splainin'. I'm in the DC area so I don't get the news you New Yorkers get. Has Kelly said one word about this incident yet?
Yes. When he and Bloomf__k is questioned about it, they're response is: "What incident?" , then they go on to talk about ticketing people eating bags of potato chips and 24 oz sodas.

It's amazing how the Mayor can play like "If I don't talk about it, then it doesn't exist", while the rest of the city is like .

Old 10-11-2013, 12:58 PM
PPL

95 posts, read 151,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I'll forget Mieses' name, but I will not forget the incident. I'm getting my family dash cameras.
don't forget run-flat tires; i took them out since they are noise, and harsh. now they will be back on this weekend.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:05 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,995,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I really wish you'd stop making excuses for NYPD as though they're imbeciles.

They have police helicopters that can ride up in the air and give the bike and car cops these guys locations. We do have motorcycle cops here you know.

I still hold to the fact that NYPD was AFRAID to deal with these guys, because there is no other reason for a lack of presence for the HIGHWAY PATROL. I thought we didn't have one which is why it took so long for NON HIGHWAY PATROL COPS to get to the SUV driver.

There is NO EXCUSE for this. Adding to the fact that the closest police station was only six blocks away and it took several phone calls to 911 to get them to come. I find it convenient that the bikers were all gone BEFORE NYPD got there. NYPD saw them leaving and like the cowards that they are believed it safe enough to render assistance.

The HIGHWAY PATROL should have been the FIRST RESPONDERS, but they obviously turned chicken *ish ran away.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:14 PM

542 posts, read 1,677,559 times
NYPD take care of their own. Not Guilty

Old 10-11-2013, 01:21 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,821,019 times
This has been oft-repeated. It's already recognized that chasing the bikers once they have scattered to the winds is not realistic and a risk to public safety. But if the bikers knew they were being watched and tailed, they would not have blocked off the highway and its exits, break-checked a law-abiding vehicle and attack its driver and occupants. There would have been no need for the cops to confront and arrest them. After all, they did back away from Times Square when they saw police presence so even the bikers prefer not to have a confrontation with the cops. A couple of choppers tailing the entire herd would have helped, as would a fleet of squad cars and bikes. If they disperse to different directions then good for everyone.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:26 PM

364 posts, read 706,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPL View Post
don't forget run-flat tires; i took them out since they are noise, and harsh. now they will be back on this weekend.
The tire company needs to make this commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wAvxQfusWU

http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20081116/...re_270x269.jpg

Old 10-11-2013, 01:40 PM

56 posts, read 92,776 times
Lol@people makin excuses why nypd failed and cudnt come or chase em, public safety bla so wat its betta to jus not show and let em go? any other legit police dept will laugh at this, i believe nypd didnt fail but actually did wat they were supposed to, they were called off by their own, since their own were a part of it
Only in nyc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City