Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 02:16 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
So you are claiming that I would be safer walking the streets of ENY than Middle Village? Are you trying to turn this into a gentrification thread?
I'm done...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 02:52 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,959,968 times
What do Italians have to do with this at all? Wasn't the bakery Sri Lankan owned?

Old 12-03-2013, 02:57 PM

For the record they'd have to close my business if a he said/she said case caused me a $25,000 fine. No chance in hell I'm paying. New corporation under a new name + new paperwork = new business and ********* race baiters.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:59 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,009 times
Default Green light

In American culture there is a ethnic "green light" which allows them to be disparaged - they can be lampooned even in polite company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
What do Italians have to do with this at all? Wasn't the bakery Sri Lankan owned?

Old 12-03-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
In American culture there is a ethnic "green light" which allows them to be disparaged - they can be lampooned even in polite company.
The only Italian name in this whole mess is the expert McDonald's worker crying racism.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:33 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I've been to Italy numerous times. Have you been to Naples? Do you know how many black people are born and live there? I grew up in an Italian neighborhood. The local dentist was a black man and us Italians went to him. Yes, we even let him in our homes .
I don't doubt you, but at the same time this is pretty common in Italy:
Italian FA promises full inquiry into 'unspeakable' racist chanting towards AC Milan's Kevin-Prince Boateng - Telegraph

Old 12-03-2013, 06:59 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Other than this one incident I don't ever recall a racial issue taking place in middle village. Go shop at metro mall and you will see many black shoppers there going about their business comfortably with no problem. Yet people always claim it is a racist neighborhood just because it is one of the last italian neighborhoods left in this city.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:09 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Other than this one incident I don't ever recall a racial issue taking place in middle village. Go shop at metro mall and you will see many black shoppers there going about their business comfortably with no problem. Yet people always claim it is a racist neighborhood just because it is one of the last italian neighborhoods left in this city.
Metro Mall is a bad example. Let's try one of the mom-n-pops along Metropolitan. Just being honest.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-03-2013, 07:59 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Metro Mall is a bad example. Let's try one of the mom-n-pops along Metropolitan. Just being honest.
Would you really feel uncomfortable buying a bagel, or a slice of pizza, or steaks from the butcher, or a pastry from a bakery on metro? I don't think it's like that. News like this makes people think the worst of a neighborhood. It's bad press that both the residents, and especially other small business owners, rather live without.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:09 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Would you really feel uncomfortable buying a bagel, or a slice of pizza, or steaks from the butcher, or a pastry from a bakery on metro? I don't think it's like that. News like this makes people think the worst of a neighborhood. It's bad press that both the residents, and especially other small business owners, rather live without.
So why not use that as your example instead of Metro Mall?
At the end of the day, let's be honest. We're talking about very insular neighborhoods here. Hell, to this day I won't drink in the west end bars in Rockaway. Had 1 racist incident and that's all it took for me.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City