Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 08:15 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,306,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So why not use that as your example instead of Metro Mall?
Because the last time I shopped on metro was at metro mall. Went to toys r us a couple weeks ago. There is no reason why anyone should feel they need to avoid shopping in middle village. Maybe I should of used atlas park as the example instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:16 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Because the last time I shopped on metro was at metro mall. Went to toys r us a couple weeks ago. There is no reason why anyone should feel they need to avoid shopping in middle village. Maybe I should of used atlas park as the example instead.
Same thing! This thread was started about 1 bakery. You can't compare entire malls with regional and national chains in them...to 1 mom-n-pop bakery.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-03-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Same thing! This thread was started about 1 bakery. You can't compare entire malls with regional and national chains in them...to 1 mom-n-pop bakery.
All I go to metro for are bagels. I find them to be pretty good. I recommend it if your okay with being the only non italian American there.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:06 AM

19,026 posts, read 13,932,533 times
Quote:
Or a specific nationality and country when neither were involved in this story in any way other than the race-baiter's last name sounding like it comes from said nationality.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:56 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,228,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

This has gone totally off topic. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist in Italy. Matter of fact, tell me what country is on this planet that doesn't have any racism at all.

What I don't appreciate is someone singling out an entire ethnicity based on HIS assumption "just because" and to go as far as saying that no other ethnicity does this. This is the problem I'm having.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Or a specific nationality and country when neither were involved in this story in any way other than the race-baiter's last name sounding like it comes from said nationality.
One he said/she said incident and we're ready to write off an entire neighborhood as a bunch of bigots. Truthfully, if the goods are worth buying, it does not matter who they have behind the counter. Its even got the mod avoiding entire commercial strips these days out of fear of being discriminated against.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:36 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
One he said/she said incident and we're ready to write off an entire neighborhood as a bunch of bigots. Truthfully, if the goods are worth buying, it does not matter who they have behind the counter. Its even got the mod avoiding entire commercial strips these days out of fear of being discriminated against.
Have you ever been discriminated against? Do you have any idea how it feels to be rejected because of the color of your skin? It's not a good feeling - and the first time it happens, it's pretty hard to recover from. It's like almost sticking your hand in fire and getting burned - why chance getting burned again?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-04-2013, 08:50 AM

44 posts, read 43,629 times
From what I read in the last few months things like that still going on in the city. I recalled watching a show about a famous black celeb who father was put in a nursing home where he was the only black man there who happened to pass for white. The horrible things he heard they said about black people especially during the early 20 century right up to the early 1970's made the man cried. He just could not believed that long after the Civil Right Movement, nothing much changes and these people probably poison some of their children/grandchildren and great grandchildren's minds. I don't believed all elders are like this because as a European, done my homework to know there were a lot who did stood side by side with Black people. Sadly there are still some people who still lived in the past and long for those horrible/shameful eras.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Have you ever been discriminated against? Do you have any idea how it feels to be rejected because of the color of your skin? It's not a good feeling - and the first time it happens, it's pretty hard to recover from. It's like almost sticking your hand in fire and getting burned - why chance getting burned again?
I have. By both white people and black people. Doesn't mean that I will avoid entire sections of the city based on race. Frankly, I don't think it would be physically possible for myself to even do so.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:03 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
^ what have you ever needed from a black person to feel as if you were being discriminated against?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City