Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 01:57 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
So I guess this guy doesn't look like he belongs in haute cuisine, right?

(Marcus Samuelsson, of Somalian descent, considered by many to be one of the top chefs in the world. Ironically enough he came to America to seek opportunity because he faced career discrimination in Sweden and France for being black)
If one went to a fancy restaurant where they sell overpriced slugs and wine to people, I'd imagine that they would more feel they got their money's worth to see someone who looks like Anthony Bourdain than Mr. Samuelsson working there. Racial as it may be, it's human nature. You identify a cuisine with the ethnicity of its origin.

Morally, anyone should be treated the same and should be able to work wherever they want as so long as they're qualified. And in the ideal world, maybe they would be, but in terms of marketing and presentation in the real world, it's just common sense. Most people don't want Italians making their wonton soup, they don't want Russians making their jerk chicken, and they don't want Haitians making their reuben.

When you're behind the counter, you represent the restaurant. To whatever extent, you are the restaurant.

While my sister was trained as a French chef, I hate French food. I wouldn't care if it was a black girl from Bed Stuy or a white girl from Belgium working there. It's the cuisine I have issue with. But that's just me. I don't judge others for thinking differently.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 02:06 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,713,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I agree. It still looks odd to me when I see Chinese people serving Mexican food in the city. But what kind of bakery is this? From the name, it appears to be French? France is populated by many cultures. I wonder what type of people do work at this bakery?
That's classic NYC right there, when Chinese take out restaurants flooded the city they went into Tex-Mex. I don't know of any Tex-Mex restaurant that isn't Chinese lol

Old 09-30-2013, 02:09 PM

34,074 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
That's classic NYC right there, when Chinese take out restaurants flooded the city they went into Tex-Mex. I don't know of any Tex-Mex restaurant that isn't Chinese lol
When I think of Mexican food, I think of Benny's Burritos or Blockheads...i like the Tex-Mex spots, but seeing Chinese people there always seems funny to me.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-30-2013, 02:14 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,220 times
Quote:
I agree. It still looks odd to me when I see Chinese people serving Mexican food in the city. But what kind of bakery is this? From the name, it appears to be French? France is populated by many cultures. I wonder what type of people do work at this bakery?
Considering it is in Middle Village, my guess is that the staff and clientele would be Italian-American. I'm sure that they could have South Americans on staff as well.

I haven't been there since it used to be Bauer's Bakery decades ago. At least I think it is in the same location.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:15 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,944 times
Quote:
It used to be Bauer's German bakery and was pretty good. Now it's just an average bakery. It seems like just the name is French. I did get a good lemon pie there once but I had to order it. The neighborhood it's in is mostly white Middle Village. They are very proud of their whiteness over there even though the neighborhood has a few Indian families now.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:38 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,554 times
Quote:
I know a few. Wish my hood had one.

There's two, that are across the street from each other on 10th aVE AT 207TH ST. The one on the west side is pretty good.

Tex-Mex places run by Asians? There's two in Chelsea near where I work. Neither is very good. Not that the food isn't fresh and wholesome...there's just something missing.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:04 PM

28 posts, read 31,939 times
This happened in the Middle Village which doesn't surprise me. It's an insular neighborhood. Very old school.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:06 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,913,245 times
Maybe I should walk by there and see if there's a huge media storm outside that place lol.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:08 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
It's just a publicity stunt, someone will get paid and the fines will get reduced or dropped if they hire a few blacks in exchange.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:09 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,400,569 times
how did all these non-white people get to move to this country and be prejudice on top of that? isn't there some type of screening process or do they teach you how to
hate blacks as a requirement to become a u.s. citizen?

somebody hip me. I mean really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City