Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 08:24 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Sadly, I'm losing sympathy. The people in these communities act like the police are the enemy. City councilman overseeing protests and riots for a hood gangster teenager getting shot while pointing a gun at police.

I know people of color are stopped more for stop and frisk. But that is the product of the racial make up of the dangerous communities. But people don't want this. Instead of marching and protesting for thugs, why not get the community together and march against the animals destroying these neighborhoods?
Because back in the day we had real civil rights leaders who weren't afraid of taking a bullet for what they believe in. We need somebody to march in these gangs' face with the community behind them and demand an end to it all.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 09:25 PM

28 posts, read 31,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Sadly, I'm losing sympathy. The people in these communities act like the police are the enemy. City councilman overseeing protests and riots for a hood gangster teenager getting shot while pointing a gun at police.

I know people of color are stopped more for stop and frisk. But that is the product of the racial make up of the dangerous communities. But people don't want this. Instead of marching and protesting for thugs, why not get the community together and march against the animals destroying these neighborhoods?
You are not losing sympathy. You're just an airhead who likes to hear the sound your keyboard makes when you type.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:40 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daloto View Post
You are not losing sympathy. You're just an airhead who likes to hear the sound your keyboard makes when you type.
This is funny. It sounds like you don't even know what the meaning of "I'm losing sympathy" is. When someone says they are losing sympathy, you can't tell them that they are not! It doesn't work that way.

It would be like if someone said "I'm upset about the increase in crime" and you tell them "You are not upset." Or "I'm tired of hearing about stop and frisk" and you say, "You are not tired of hearing about that." Well, yes they are...and they just told you so!

Old 10-01-2013, 09:58 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
A lot of these murders happen in the same hoods. Brownsville, ENY, Harlem, South Bronx etc. Crime will likely always be a problem in these areas.
UWS a dude slashed 5 people. Union Square recently a nut killed a man and assaulted three others.

Via public transportation people can easily travel out of ENY, Brownville, Harlem, and the South Bronx. Manhattan below 96th Street has a rapidly growing homeless population and a lot of projects and governmental housing. The crime problem in NYC may be a lot worse than people want to admit (Can't damage the real estate market, can we?)

Old 10-01-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Because back in the day we had real civil rights leaders who weren't afraid of taking a bullet for what they believe in. We need somebody to march in these gangs' face with the community behind them and demand an end to it all.
These communities would also have to agree on policing standards, and on turning in criminals to the cops. Unfortunately, criminals are concentrated in these communities. Perhaps its just best to get out and not worry about it.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
so should we compare to the worst then? how about detroit or somalia? it dont have noth to do with noth, this is nyc
and i lived in cities that dont have that bs regularly
I too have lived in cities and in neighborhoods that don't have that a lot. The New York newspapers are undeniably reporting on these types of crimes more.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:03 PM

414 posts, read 537,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
UWS a dude slashed 5 people. Union Square recently a nut killed a man and assaulted three others.

Via public transportation people can easily travel out of ENY, Brownville, Harlem, and the South Bronx. Manhattan below 96th Street has a rapidly growing homeless population and a lot of projects and governmental housing. The crime problem in NYC may be a lot worse than people want to admit (Can't damage the real estate market, can we?)
exactly, its not like people are confined to their nhoods, they can easily go out and do damage anywhere they want, we dont live in sealed, neatly stacked compartments, everyth affects everyone

Old 10-01-2013, 11:04 PM

23 posts, read 33,443 times
My gut tells me the NYPD are juking some of these crime stats.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:04 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daloto View Post
Dude, obviously me and all my yuppie friends only use iPads and tablets at night....so the keyboard doesn't even make any sound.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:36 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,740 times
Crime is very low compared to the historical highs.

What do people expect? In a city of millions people there will NEVER be zero crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
Mom, 24, shot and killed by a stray bullet in broad daylight on Tuesday in Brooklyn - NY Daily News

If crime is so low, why these incidents continue to happen so often? //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...hot-head.htmlI I guess addressing environmental, soda and loud headphones concerns is much more important.
Either way, I am glad the mayor at least gets to relax from all this craziness sometimes, unlike the rest of NYC peasants, even though he loves to brag that he is a workaholic. I don't know if it's just me, but the paragraph below is quite contradictive.

"The mayor, a billionaire, has often attributed his success in life partly to eschewing vacations. On his weekly radio program in August, he said, “I always tried to be the first one in in the morning and the last one to leave at night. Take the fewest vacations, the least time away from the desk to go to the bathroom or have lunch.” But he has never been confined to New York he travels frequently for political or philanthropic appearances, and his private aircraft allow him to escape for unannounced weekend jaunts to his vacation home in Bermuda, among other places."
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/01/ny...an-2.html?_r=0

Also: 14-year-old boy shot by apparent stray bullet in Bronx playground: cops* - NY Daily News
Stray bullet hits school bus in Harlem - New York News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City