Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 02:41 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Only Bloomberg himself said theft was up even last year.

Other sources say homelessness is up, as well.

The stats haven't come out this year, so it maybe a bit premature to say murders and shooting are up (but they are definitely in the news). But official thefts have increased last year and this year.
Actually,according to the latest stats,so far this year,murders are down by 26.2 % from last year,robberies are down by 6.7%,burglaries are down by 8.7%,shooting incidents are down by 24.1%, and the number of shooting victims is down by 25.4%.Rape and Grand Larceny are the only categories that are up,they are up only slightly and the overall crime rate is still down from last year.

In fact,murders and shooting are down by so much this year that it is very doubtful they could catch up to last year unless suddenly they both doubled for the next 3 months.Not likely.So, if anything,it looks almost impossible for murders and shootings to be up this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 03:19 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Actually,according to the latest stats,so far this year,murders are down by 26.2 % from last year,robberies are down by 6.7%,burglaries are down by 8.7%,shooting incidents are down by 24.1%, and the number of shooting victims is down by 25.4%.Rape and Grand Larceny are the only categories that are up,they are up only slightly and the overall crime rate is still down from last year.

In fact,murders and shooting are down by so much this year that it is very doubtful they could catch up to last year unless suddenly they both doubled for the next 3 months.Not likely.So, if anything,it looks almost impossible for murders and shootings to be up this year.
Murders and shootings tend to go down in with cold weather, so there shouldn't be too much more.

Btw, cops do not honestly report stats.

Years ago, when I lived in Spanish Harlem, someone stole my MacBook. The cops UNDERREPORTED the value of my MacBook. That also downgrades the crime.

A long time ago, someone stole my wallet (there was a big fight or commotion in the train station and while I was distracted, they stole my wallet). I even got a call from the person who found it. I reported it as stolen, the cops wrote it down as LOST.

NYC, “Safest Big City,” Systematically Falsifying Crime Statistics

"The consequences of downgrading or not reporting crimes can be severe. For example, in 2010 recently retired Detective Harold Hernandez revealed to Village Voice reporter Graham Rayman that a series of sexual assault-robberies in Washington Heights had been downgraded from serious felonies to misdemeanors. As a result, the NYPD missed the crime pattern and allowed a sexual predator to remain at large for at least two months and to commit six more rapes.

Let’s be real, though. This kind of thing probably happens in every big city. Smaller ones too, at least to some extent. Except it’s gotten a lot worse since 2001 when Mayor Mike and Chief Cop Kelly took the helm.

Researchers compared interviews with over two thousand retired cops (the only ones who feel free to speak without possibility of retribution). Of those who retired before 1995, 25% reported they’d seen reports falsified. Cops retiring between 1996 and 2001 saw it 28% of the time.

However, in the Kelly/Bloomberg era (2002 and after) over half the officers — 51 percent — had observed the intentional misclassification of serious crimes as petty offenses and other unethical practices, typically multiple times. Officers also reported that since 2002 they had experienced unusually strong pressures from supervisors to downgrade crimes and keep crime numbers low.
"

That's the problem with relying on statistics. There's a lot that's not mentioned when you post statistics, including whether they are accurate. The city does have a motivation to lie when it crimes to crime stats. If crime were more honestly reported, FEWER TOURIST and RICH people would come here.

Which is why its notable even Bloomberg himself admitted CRIME is UP in the CITY. THEFT IS UP!

And in a city where the homeless population continues to reach all time highs, does ANYONE belive that this population is going to go out of its way to be well behaved citizens that never steal and do assaults? If so, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:30 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
I recall in the early to mid 90's how the spanish news was flooded with stray bullet killings. NYC is super safe if you were born and raised here prior to the 1990's. If you are new to the city then i understand the concern.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:40 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,811 times
Really? We get your agenda. But just how under reported or fudged do you think murder statistics are? That's typically pretty black and white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Murders and shootings tend to go down in with cold weather, so there shouldn't be too much more.

Btw, cops do not honestly report stats.

Years ago, when I lived in Spanish Harlem, someone stole my MacBook. The cops UNDERREPORTED the value of my MacBook. That also downgrades the crime.

A long time ago, someone stole my wallet (there was a big fight or commotion in the train station and while I was distracted, they stole my wallet). I even got a call from the person who found it. I reported it as stolen, the cops wrote it down as LOST.

NYC, “Safest Big City,” Systematically Falsifying Crime Statistics

"The consequences of downgrading or not reporting crimes can be severe. For example, in 2010 recently retired Detective Harold Hernandez revealed to Village Voice reporter Graham Rayman that a series of sexual assault-robberies in Washington Heights had been downgraded from serious felonies to misdemeanors. As a result, the NYPD missed the crime pattern and allowed a sexual predator to remain at large for at least two months and to commit six more rapes.

Let’s be real, though. This kind of thing probably happens in every big city. Smaller ones too, at least to some extent. Except it’s gotten a lot worse since 2001 when Mayor Mike and Chief Cop Kelly took the helm.

Researchers compared interviews with over two thousand retired cops (the only ones who feel free to speak without possibility of retribution). Of those who retired before 1995, 25% reported they’d seen reports falsified. Cops retiring between 1996 and 2001 saw it 28% of the time.

However, in the Kelly/Bloomberg era (2002 and after) over half the officers — 51 percent — had observed the intentional misclassification of serious crimes as petty offenses and other unethical practices, typically multiple times. Officers also reported that since 2002 they had experienced unusually strong pressures from supervisors to downgrade crimes and keep crime numbers low.
"

That's the problem with relying on statistics. There's a lot that's not mentioned when you post statistics, including whether they are accurate. The city does have a motivation to lie when it crimes to crime stats. If crime were more honestly reported, FEWER TOURIST and RICH people would come here.

Which is why its notable even Bloomberg himself admitted CRIME is UP in the CITY. THEFT IS UP!

And in a city where the homeless population continues to reach all time highs, does ANYONE belive that this population is going to go out of its way to be well behaved citizens that never steal and do assaults? If so, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City