Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 12:45 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Well if they're used to that type of environment there are affordable apartments out there. If not, I will direct them to the good parts. There's no apartments for rent in the Jewish area of Rockaway. If they are, it's some basement in Bayswater in somebody's house.
There are some apartments in the Jewish sector of the Far Rockaway. I've lived there and though its mostly single family homes, there are a few actual apartment buildings here and there. My rent in the Jewish area was 1100 a month for an one bedroom apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 08:33 PM

11,597 posts, read 12,633,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I know someone (white male who was not accustomed to ghetto areas if that matters) who used to live in this building in a studio apt. with an oceanview terrace before he relocated out of state in the spring. He lived there for a couple of years (4, 5 years?) and liked it:

Studio Apt//NO BROKER'S FEE

It is in the Rockaway Park section of Far Rockaway on Shorefront Parkway. I don't think this area is ghetto/scary/horrible and I wouldn't be afraid to live in this building myself. (I am a white female.) It is the last of the tall buildings right next to the boardwalk. I think the other buildings next to it in the picture are Dayton Towers (??) co-op properties and this one is the only rental among them (someone correct me if I'm wrong). This building is owned and managed by Alma Realty and no fee except credit checks (see ad I linked to for all the info). I didn't see ads for a 1 BR, but if you are interested, you should get in touch with them and see. The building is walk to some shops (bagel store, pharmacy, etc.) and a new grocery store and walk to A train and buses. It has a parking lot for which there are assigned spots and a fee to park monthly. He had a car and parked on the street and had no trouble finding a spot except sometimes on summer days when beachgoers would come around. Building allows pets which is nice. He always used the laundry room and never had a problem. He liked it better than going to the laundromat. No roaches. Only saw a mouse once. Then he got a cat. He never got bedbugs or mentioned anyone in the building having them. Don't remember him complaining about other people in the building; seemed like just a lot of people who were quiet and went to work. I do remember seeing a lot of people walking dogs, but I suppose if a place accepts them, it would get a lot of applicants with them since a lot of LLs are too picky to take dogs in many cases. They will come to fix things fast if things break. I remember he said that. I think they have an office on the premises where you can pay rent and talk to them if you have to. I can't think of anything else important renters want to know, so ask a question if I missed anything. I will say the boardwalk there is very nice and the beach is really beautiful. I liked going to the beach there better than some places on Long Island due to less crowds and beach just as good! It was also nice having the apartment across the street to go to the bathroom or get food or drink.

PS: The building and area held up well during storms Irene and Sandy; no significant flooding around it on the street or damage to the building which made it uninhabitable like some people experienced; only problem was the one everyone else had: waiting for the electricity to come back on.
OP, I know the above apartments very well. They used to be Mitchel Lama rentals. The layouts are very nice, although I have only seen the one and two bedrooms. I'm sure the studios are nice as well and you have a terrace. There was a dentist/doctor practicing on the lobby level in some of the buildings. There was terrible, terrible flooding during Sandy and anyone who had their car in the lot or on the street lost it. The boardwalk and even the street lights were washed away. Fences were smashed and there was mud everywhere. A layer of sand was on the street for weeks. The building ran on generators for a long time. This complex used to have a nice pool. You have to take the shuttle to Broad Channel and then switch for the A train. There's a bus that runs along Rockaway Beach Blvd. There's a supermarket across the street, which is good enough. More shopping would be on 116th Street. and in the 90s-80s. Street parking is fairly easy during the winter, but extremely difficult during the summer. There is alternate side parking. Area is ok, definitely not the hood. Fairly quiet during the winter and very windy. One laundry room in the lobby for each building. Rather noisey from the train and major aircraft noise depending on the day's flight patterns. At least no more rattling of windows from the SST. Rockaway Beach Blvd. on 105th can be a bit rowdy when school lets out in the afternoon. Complex is next block over from Mitchell Lama co-op. DM me if you have questions.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:31 AM

33,873 posts, read 47,070,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There are some apartments in the Jewish sector of the Far Rockaway. I've lived there and though its mostly single family homes, there are a few actual apartment buildings here and there. My rent in the Jewish area was 1100 a month for an one bedroom apartment.
That building on Beach 9th really doesn't count as the "orthodox" area....it's isolated

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-06-2013, 03:33 AM

Quote:
I know someone (white male who was not accustomed to ghetto areas if that matters) who used to live in this building in a studio apt. with an oceanview terrace before he relocated out of state in the spring. He lived there for a couple of years (4, 5 years?) and liked it:

Studio Apt//NO BROKER'S FEE

It is in the Rockaway Park section of Far Rockaway on Shorefront Parkway. I don't think this area is ghetto/scary/horrible and I wouldn't be afraid to live in this building myself. (I am a white female.) It is the last of the tall buildings right next to the boardwalk. I think the other buildings next to it in the picture are Dayton Towers (??) co-op properties and this one is the only rental among them (someone correct me if I'm wrong). This building is owned and managed by Alma Realty and no fee except credit checks (see ad I linked to for all the info). I didn't see ads for a 1 BR, but if you are interested, you should get in touch with them and see. The building is walk to some shops (bagel store, pharmacy, etc.) and a new grocery store and walk to A train and buses. It has a parking lot for which there are assigned spots and a fee to park monthly. He had a car and parked on the street and had no trouble finding a spot except sometimes on summer days when beachgoers would come around. Building allows pets which is nice. He always used the laundry room and never had a problem. He liked it better than going to the laundromat. No roaches. Only saw a mouse once. Then he got a cat. He never got bedbugs or mentioned anyone in the building having them. Don't remember him complaining about other people in the building; seemed like just a lot of people who were quiet and went to work. I do remember seeing a lot of people walking dogs, but I suppose if a place accepts them, it would get a lot of applicants with them since a lot of LLs are too picky to take dogs in many cases. They will come to fix things fast if things break. I remember he said that. I think they have an office on the premises where you can pay rent and talk to them if you have to. I can't think of anything else important renters want to know, so ask a question if I missed anything. I will say the boardwalk there is very nice and the beach is really beautiful. I liked going to the beach there better than some places on Long Island due to less crowds and beach just as good! It was also nice having the apartment across the street to go to the bathroom or get food or drink.

PS: The building and area held up well during storms Irene and Sandy; no significant flooding around it on the street or damage to the building which made it uninhabitable like some people experienced; only problem was the one everyone else had: waiting for the electricity to come back on.
Thats Dayton on Beach 105th Street. Definitely not the hood. Only downsides are having to take the shuttle train and that stink from the sewage plant.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:55 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
That building on Beach 9th really doesn't count as the "orthodox" area....it's isolated

There are a few other buildings in that area, and not just on beach 9th street. While its mostly single family homes, its not entirely single family homes as there are a FEW APARTMENT BUILDINGS. When I was last in the area in June, they had vacancies. I'd say I know of about 5 apartment buildings in the area.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:11 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,240,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
OP, I know the above apartments very well. They used to be Mitchel Lama rentals. The layouts are very nice, although I have only seen the one and two bedrooms. I'm sure the studios are nice as well and you have a terrace. There was a dentist/doctor practicing on the lobby level in some of the buildings. There was terrible, terrible flooding during Sandy and anyone who had their car in the lot or on the street lost it. The boardwalk and even the street lights were washed away. Fences were smashed and there was mud everywhere. A layer of sand was on the street for weeks. The building ran on generators for a long time. This complex used to have a nice pool. You have to take the shuttle to Broad Channel and then switch for the A train. There's a bus that runs along Rockaway Beach Blvd. There's a supermarket across the street, which is good enough. More shopping would be on 116th Street. and in the 90s-80s. Street parking is fairly easy during the winter, but extremely difficult during the summer. There is alternate side parking. Area is ok, definitely not the hood. Fairly quiet during the winter and very windy. One laundry room in the lobby for each building. Rather noisey from the train and major aircraft noise depending on the day's flight patterns. At least no more rattling of windows from the SST. Rockaway Beach Blvd. on 105th can be a bit rowdy when school lets out in the afternoon. Complex is next block over from Mitchell Lama co-op. DM me if you have questions.
The building is the one at 108th. Did you know anyone actually living there during Hurricane Sandy?

Old 10-06-2013, 09:12 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,240,130 times
Quote:
Thats Dayton on Beach 105th Street. Definitely not the hood. Only downsides are having to take the shuttle train and that stink from the sewage plant.
The building I'm talking about is on 108th. What sewage plant? Never noticed a smell and my friend never complained about it.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
The building I'm talking about is on 108th. What sewage plant? Never noticed a smell and my friend never complained about it.
Yeah the last building is on 108th Street. The sewage plant doesnt stink every day but when it does - it stinks. The sewage plant is on 105th.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There are a few other buildings in that area, and not just on beach 9th street. While its mostly single family homes, its not entirely single family homes as there are a FEW APARTMENT BUILDINGS. When I was last in the area in June, they had vacancies. I'd say I know of about 5 apartment buildings in the area.
Are you talking about the buildings on Beach 9th going towards Cornaga? Those buildings are ok but I wouldn't live there because it's far from the train and any store.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
The building is the one at 108th. Did you know anyone actually living there during Hurricane Sandy?
I heard that their laundry rooms were ruined because they're on the first floor. I assume they've gotten fixed by now.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City