Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 10:34 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Are you talking about the buildings on Beach 9th going towards Cornaga? Those buildings are ok but I wouldn't live there because it's far from the train and any store.
Mostly those, yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 04:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
How about those buildings on Seagirt that used to be for seniors only and were nicknamed the "7-11's?" Now they were bought by a private company and they are being rented to any ages. The complex is called the Sand Castle now. They are renting these tiny, tiny studios that used to be really, really cheap for the seniors at around $1K or $1050 a month. That place had a reputation for bad bedbug problems going from apartment to apartment, PLUS the elevators going out a lot. If you are up high, that's a lot of steps to climb! Unless the new management has really improved it, I dunno about this one ... anyone have the current scoop on it? I bet it is still mostly seniors (unless a lot took off after Hurricane Sandy) and the new management is filling it with all ages as apartments become empty.

Another building not really far from that one which AFAIK is not too bad (has security, they try to rent to working people, not layabouts, etc.), on the beach, and has big apartments is Wavecrest that the OP might be interested in ... what is the current scoop on Wavecrest?

Old 10-06-2013, 07:17 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How about those buildings on Seagirt that used to be for seniors only and were nicknamed the "7-11's?" Now they were bought by a private company and they are being rented to any ages. The complex is called the Sand Castle now. They are renting these tiny, tiny studios that used to be really, really cheap for the seniors at around $1K or $1050 a month. That place had a reputation for bad bedbug problems going from apartment to apartment, PLUS the elevators going out a lot. If you are up high, that's a lot of steps to climb! Unless the new management has really improved it, I dunno about this one ... anyone have the current scoop on it? I bet it is still mostly seniors (unless a lot took off after Hurricane Sandy) and the new management is filling it with all ages as apartments become empty.

Another building not really far from that one which AFAIK is not too bad (has security, they try to rent to working people, not layabouts, etc.), on the beach, and has big apartments is Wavecrest that the OP might be interested in ... what is the current scoop on Wavecrest?
I haven't been in those buildings since I was a little kid, so I'm not sure how they are now. As for Wavecrest, I think it's decent. They've fixed up the complex over the last few years, and I think they're trying to make it better. Their credit is super strict however, they denied me when I first was moving from my parents house. My credit wasn't great at the time but I had just finished paying everything off. Six months later I bought my apartment so go figure. It still has the hood element there to a slight extent but for a regular working couple I think it's just fine. The apartments are a nice decent size. My family actually lived in Wavecrest when I was a baby then we moved to the condos across the street. Here's Wavecrest's website:

Wavecrest Gardens: Far Rockaway Apartments

Aslo, a few years ago I had a thread where I took some pics of Wavecrest; if I find it I'll send you the link. My gripe with Wavecrest is that it's a little far from the train (if you live on the beach side). If you live on the side that's closer to Plainview Avenue and Fernside Place then it's not bad - about a 7 minute walk. The shopping center has a grocery store, CVS, cleaners, pizza, Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins, an optometrist, Bank of America, a podiatrist, Subway and a Jamaican restaurant.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-06-2013, 10:28 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Thats Dayton on Beach 105th Street. Definitely not the hood. Only downsides are having to take the shuttle train and that stink from the sewage plant.
Dayton West is across the street, which is a co-op, not a rental. This studio is in Surfside.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The building is the one at 108th. Did you know anyone actually living there during Hurricane Sandy?
Yes, I do, a crazy person who thought that since their apartment was on the 4th floor, they'd be fine. And I was there quite a few times during November-Jan. and got to see the progress of the clean-up, as well as hearing all the stories from chums and family. It was crazy trying to drive through with no traffic lights and the cops on every corner. What a mess!

Edited to add: I tried to post some post Sandy pictures of the area, but couldn't get it to work.

Last edited by Coney; 10-06-2013 at 10:46 PM..

Old 10-07-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Dayton West is across the street, which is a co-op, not a rental. This studio is in Surfside.
Dayton West are rentals. Alma Realty is the managing agent:

Listings | Alma Realty Corp

What studio are you referring to? Where is Surfside?

Old 10-07-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Dayton West are rentals. Alma Realty is the managing agent:

Listings | Alma Realty Corp

What studio are you referring to? Where is Surfside?
I know even people who live in Rockaway often get confused between Surfside, Dayton Towers East and West and Dayton Beach Park. Surfside, which is really Surfside Park, but everyone in Rockaway just calls it Surfside was a Mitchell Lama Rental. I remember when they built it. Then they sold it, I think to Zucker and then it was taken over by Alma. It's between 105th and 108th Street (that playground near the boardwalk is opposite the buildings on Shore Front Parkway and the 108th Street building is across the street from that bar that had that whole KKK scandal during the 70s.)

Dayton Towers West is located between 105th and 102nd Street. The addresses are 102-00, 103-00, and 105-00 Shore Front Parkway for the 3 buildings. They are Mitchel Lama Co-ops and still part of Dayton Towers Association, which also encompasses Dayton Towers East. Surfside was built before Dayton. Dayton Towers West started construction around 1965ish or was it 1966 and completed by 1968. Dayton East construction started around 1968ish. I think Dayton Beach Park was constructed around the same time as Surfside. That is situated near Dayton Towers East and is also a Mitchell-Lama Co-op (nicer layouts than Dayton Tower, IMO). BTW, much of the boardwalk, the fence surrounding the perimeter, and concrete from the island on Shore Front Parkway, and the landscaping was swept into the lobbies of Surfside and Dayton. Surfside is on the narrowest part of the peninsula. This site formerly had those Rockaway bungalows.
DaytonForYou.info • View topic - Brief history of Dayton Towers

Old 10-07-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I know even people who live in Rockaway often get confused between Surfside, Dayton Towers East and West and Dayton Beach Park. Surfside, which is really Surfside Park, but everyone in Rockaway just calls it Surfside was a Mitchell Lama Rental. I remember when they built it. Then they sold it, I think to Zucker and then it was taken over by Alma. It's between 105th and 108th Street (that playground near the boardwalk is opposite the buildings on Shore Front Parkway and the 108th Street building is across the street from that bar that had that whole KKK scandal during the 70s.)

Dayton Towers West is located between 105th and 102nd Street. The addresses are 102-00, 103-00, and 105-00 Shore Front Parkway for the 3 buildings. They are Mitchel Lama Co-ops and still part of Dayton Towers Association, which also encompasses Dayton Towers East. Surfside was built before Dayton. Dayton Towers West started construction around 1965ish or was it 1966 and completed by 1968. Dayton East construction started around 1968ish. I think Dayton Beach Park was constructed around the same time as Surfside. That is situated near Dayton Towers East and is also a Mitchell-Lama Co-op (nicer layouts than Dayton Tower, IMO). BTW, much of the boardwalk, the fence surrounding the perimeter, and concrete from the island on Shore Front Parkway, and the landscaping was swept into the lobbies of Surfside and Dayton. Surfside is on the narrowest part of the peninsula. This site formerly had those Rockaway bungalows.
DaytonForYou.info • View topic - Brief history of Dayton Towers
Surfside Park Apartments II | Buildings | EMPORIS

Old 10-08-2013, 01:03 PM

Yup, Seventh Floor, that's the building that I Love LI posted about. I guess they added the "II" after Mitchell Lama sold it. I was a patient of Dr. Kurtz. whose office was in the lobby of the building facing 105th Street for more than 30 years. Spent many summers as a guest at the pool, which was located in a particularly shady and windy spot. Bad place for a pool. Lots of memories. I still can't figure out how to upload my Sandy pictures on the CD site. I have several taken last Nov. in front of Surfside and Dayton.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Yes, I do, a crazy person who thought that since their apartment was on the 4th floor, they'd be fine. And I was there quite a few times during November-Jan. and got to see the progress of the clean-up, as well as hearing all the stories from chums and family. It was crazy trying to drive through with no traffic lights and the cops on every corner. What a mess!

Edited to add: I tried to post some post Sandy pictures of the area, but couldn't get it to work.
Does that mean he did not evacuate and stayed during Sandy? LOL! So did our friend, even though he (and cat) were invited to our house! (He stayed there during Irene too.) He also parked his car somewhere on higher ground within walking distance of the building and it did not get flooded or ruined at all (it also did not get flooded during Irene either).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City