Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 28,188 times

Advertisements

Okay the title might sound ridiculous but that's why I posted here so people can tell me if my plans really are crazy.

I've read the moving to New York guide that's stickied. It's helpful with neighborhoods/safety/schools issues, but it seems like it's for more established folks, people with families, or students. I'm not currently any of those.

I graduated from college last year with a degree in mathematics. I worked for a few months in digital marketing before discovering that I really couldn't take, or wasn't ready to take, eight hours in front of a computer screen every day. So I quit that job and am looking to change careers. Writing, editing, or anything in the legal field appeals to me. I took the LSAT (167), so if I find some type of entry-level position perhaps I will retake it and go on to law school.

But here's the rub. Right now I'm in the Atlanta area and I feel rather stifled. I've visited NYC before, and I just love its energy. It's vibrant. I'm sure you've heard young people say that before. I'm probably no different but I'm willing to do just about anything to get a foothold in the city. Is it possible? I know you need obscene amounts of documentation and an income 40x monthly rent to get an apartment, so I'm thinking of subletting or finding roommates. I've looked on Craigslist; so far, no luck, but I'm not worried since I just started.

Of course, I'm not working and don't have a job lined up in NYC, but I figure if I'm to try New York now would be the best time to do it. Does it sound feasible, to sublease and then find some type of work until I get a more permanent position? I've done some research online and half the people say it's impossible and impossibly expensive, the other half say you can do it but the first year will probably be the hardest so far in your life. What do you think?

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 06:17 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
No, it is not feasible to come here without a job unless you had family or someone you could live with for free.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:29 PM

70 posts, read 238,119 times
I moved here with some college friends without having a job lined up. Granted, I have family about 2 hours away so I thought if I couldn't make it, I could fall back on them if need be. Luckily, I got a job right away. The money was slow - I was walking dogs and made just enough to afford rent and some bills, but then I got a substantial career and it all worked out.

Obviously, it's a much better idea to have a job lined up before moving here, but tons of people have done this. You may need to suck it up with your living situation to find something cheap and take a crap job though.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:34 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
As long as you are young, single, without dependents, you can do anything (well, almost...)

Old 10-02-2013, 08:00 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviction View Post
Okay the title might sound ridiculous but that's why I posted here so people can tell me if my plans really are crazy.

I've read the moving to New York guide that's stickied. It's helpful with neighborhoods/safety/schools issues, but it seems like it's for more established folks, people with families, or students. I'm not currently any of those.

I graduated from college last year with a degree in mathematics. I worked for a few months in digital marketing before discovering that I really couldn't take, or wasn't ready to take, eight hours in front of a computer screen every day. So I quit that job and am looking to change careers. Writing, editing, or anything in the legal field appeals to me. I took the LSAT (167), so if I find some type of entry-level position perhaps I will retake it and go on to law school.

But here's the rub. Right now I'm in the Atlanta area and I feel rather stifled. I've visited NYC before, and I just love its energy. It's vibrant. I'm sure you've heard young people say that before. I'm probably no different but I'm willing to do just about anything to get a foothold in the city. Is it possible? I know you need obscene amounts of documentation and an income 40x monthly rent to get an apartment, so I'm thinking of subletting or finding roommates. I've looked on Craigslist; so far, no luck, but I'm not worried since I just started.

Of course, I'm not working and don't have a job lined up in NYC, but I figure if I'm to try New York now would be the best time to do it. Does it sound feasible, to sublease and then find some type of work until I get a more permanent position? I've done some research online and half the people say it's impossible and impossibly expensive, the other half say you can do it but the first year will probably be the hardest so far in your life. What do you think?

Thanks for reading.
You need enough savings to live for at least a couple of months (like 6 months). Also you will need enough money to move into a sublet arrangement, and you should figure that would be a minimum of 3x the monthly rent, because you will be charged first, last and a security deposit. You will need to convince whoever you are subletting from that you will be able to afford your share of the monthly bills.

When you say "so far no luck" on craigslist, do you mean you've actually been emailing people to ask about rooms? Of course you won't have any luck doing that. No one in their right mind is going to rent a room to a stranger who lives out of town and doesn't have a job. If and when you do get here, you might have to spend a few nights in a hotel while you look for a sublet.

And when you look for a sublet, do not choose the most desirable areas to rent in. Choose a boring but safe area where the competition from others looking for roommate situations will be less. You can always move to a more interesting area after you get settled.

And wait a minute... did I read that right that you graduated from college LAST YEAR and only worked for a few months before you quit, and now you are unemployed and presumably have been for some time if you graduated college in 2012 and only worked for a few months? Doesn't sound promising but maybe you can turn things around.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:14 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Sounds like your just wasting away in ATL. If you have money saved to move to NYC then do it. Like the above poster said can't be picky on the place and the job you do end up getting. If you are then do not come. If your up for the rise and have some money then welcome to NYC. Just don't turn into one of those kids with a cup begging for money.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:28 AM

912 posts, read 2,098,594 times
Go for it, Atlanta is Hickville compared to De Blasio's Progressive Big Apple

Old 10-03-2013, 07:35 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
You can come here without a job... its called a vacation.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
You got no plan to how to tackle the transition. What you have there is a pipe dream. If you want to make the pipe dream become true. You need to come up with a solid plan than I want to move to location ____ because I love the ____ but no job lined up or even have a job at the moment.

If you are serious about the move, come up with a game plan, you need to be focused, and time it right. Otherwise, high living cost, very competitive job market, will chew you up and spit you out.

There are many plans to get here. Three common plans are...

- School but a real one with good chance of lining up a real job after graduating, not some bs degree say like Fashion Design.
- Applying to a job and getting hired to move. You need skills, experience for it. Companies don't need to hire non-locals to do the job and there are plenty willing to fill except in certain areas such where demand is higher than supply. Such as engineering.
- Save up for 4-6 months, preferably 6 month of savings of NYC living cost. Move here, hope that on 4-6 months you can find a job. But not just a job, an opportunity where you can grow in professional career with upside potential.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 28,188 times
Thanks for all the responses, they're very helpful. It seems NYC is doable with some planning and organization... I'll see what happens.

A question about the neighborhoods: it seems like Manhattan below 96th Street is where many of the large corporations and financial institutions are based, but it would be too expensive to live there. Where do young people usually try to establish themselves that's within a good commute (<30 mins) of Lower or Midtown Manhattan? I'm guessing Queens (Astoria) or Brooklyn (Williamsburg, Bed-Stuy, Bushwick) neighborhoods? Is the South Bronx as dangerous as it seems from a cursory Google search? What about Upper Manhattan? There must be a lot of students around Morningside Heights no?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City