Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2013, 05:19 PM

22 posts, read 46,417 times

Advertisements

Have a 4 yr old going to K next year. Looking to buy a home in either brooklyn or queens with good schools, decent commute to downtown manhattan (by subway train).
what resource should i use besides greatschools.org which comes with zillow home searching?
Looks like in brooklyn, its bay ridge/dyker heights.
In queens, it's middle village (not as convenient to train), forest hills.

what are the differences between brooklyn and queens schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 05:37 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Consider the insideschools.org site for specific school information, although their reviews of individual schools are sometimes out of date. But it is comprehensive and thorough. Good schools can be found in most parts of both boroughs and since most kids do their locally zoned K-5 school, demographics are destiny. A school serving a stable middle class neighborhood will generally have decent elementary schools.

That said, however, District 26 schools have long been considered the top of the heap in Queens. The district is northeastern Queens, like Bayside, Little Neck and thereabouts. Very suburban and relatively affluent. But to the city is usually by LIRR or a bus to the subway. The area is not well-served by mass transit.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:19 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Three boro schools get blue ribbons - Queens Chronicle: Queenswide

A school in Richmond Hill Queens was recently awarded a blue ribbon. Probably about an hour train ride to lower Manhattan on the J. Regarding Middle Village, you do have the M train.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:05 AM

Didn't realized J train goes to Richmond Hill, for some reason, always thought I should avoid Jamaica. will look into that area. M train in Middle village is far from good neighborhoods in middle village, though i could be wrong.

What about Jackson Heights historic area? I like those houses, but are schools terrible there?

Old 10-05-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_2013 View Post
Didn't realized J train goes to Richmond Hill, for some reason, always thought I should avoid Jamaica. will look into that area. M train in Middle village is far from good neighborhoods in middle village, though i could be wrong.

What about Jackson Heights historic area? I like those houses, but are schools terrible there?
I think that school also covers the northeastern part of woodhaven. Big Victorians with many already setup as 2 families. Also got forest park right there. It's a few stops before Jamaica. Woodhaven or the 104th street stop on the J.

In middle village, the area between metroplitan and juniper park is nice and not that far from the m stop. Might be able to find something with maybe a half mile walk to the train.

I don't know much about Jackson heights schools.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:52 PM

Did checked out Richmond Hill, not sure if i went to the bad area, it was close to train stop, a couple blocks north of Jamaica ave. wasn't impressed by the area. Sorry.

Middle Village, however was very nice i thought, especially by the park. walk to train will be a little challenge though.

Still wanted to know if anyone has info on Jackson Heights. Historic District specifically, for a family with a kid. Is the best option to send to the Garden school (private costs 15,800)? Maybe i should start a new thread for JH.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Did checked out Richmond Hill, not sure if i went to the bad area, it was close to train stop, a couple blocks north of Jamaica ave. wasn't impressed by the area. Sorry.
Sorry if I sent you out there and wasted your time. Always thought there were some decent blocks over there that seemed more affordable (if you can find a house on the market). Just didn't think the schools would be all that good until I came across that article. Either way, this would be one of the blocks that I had in mind.
https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.6986,...61.43,,0,-1.93

Old 10-08-2013, 10:42 PM

No waste of time at all. I learn more every time i venture out. Do sincerely appreciate your help so far.
thanks for the google map, that did look very nice, i was in the area just a couple blocks left of that.
problem is, you have to go through Jamaica Ave if you take public transportation, and walking on that block is a lot worse than Jackson Height's roosevelt ave. perhaps i will drive by another time, kind of curious to see how much better if i go further east a little. between the 104 st and 111st J train on the map.

Thanks again.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:19 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:

Middle Village, however was very nice i thought, especially by the park. walk to train will be a little challenge though.

Still wanted to know if anyone has info on Jackson Heights. Historic District specifically, for a family with a kid. Is the best option to send to the Garden school (private costs 15,800)? Maybe i should start a new thread for JH.
If you're seriously interested in knowing about JH schools, you should join the JH families yahoo group as that subject comes up frequently on there and many members send their kids to public schools as well as some to the Garden School. You have to be approved to join the group, so just say you are considering moving your family to JH, or you are about to move there, or whatever. Yahoo! Groups
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City