Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 11:54 AM

32 posts, read 138,875 times

Advertisements

I will go apartment shopping for move in around mid-December. I did some research of the potential neighborhoods I'd like to live. Can anyone give me some insights of these neighborhoods in Queens -Astoria, Long Island City, Sunnyside, Woodside, Rego Park and Elmhurst?
I'd like to find out whether they are safe neighborhoods for a single female and which part of the neighborhood is convenient for transportation. Are they mostly residential or a mix of residential and commerical? Do most buildings have laundry on site and is grocery shopping easy in the area?
Thanks in advance for any info you would provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 02:14 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
This is a big question. the problem is the neighborhoods are large and sweeping generalizations don't work for the entire neighborhood.
But if you want generalizations:

Astoria has a very European flair- lots of restaurants and bars and cafes that are open toe the sidewalk. Good shopping - local markets and some big chains. Lots of young people, ethnic people and long time residents as well. A nice place. Transportation is good and fast to the city.

Long Island City is much more industrial in comparison. Warehouses, etc. Recently very high end condos have been built and are attracting richer professionals in. But the neigbhorhood has not caught up to that and many bemoan the lack of good amenities like a good enticing grocery store. Transportation is even faster to the city - just one stop on the E train to midtown.

Sunnyside borders LIC and Astoria. Transportation is via the 7 train, so while it's fast to the city, that's your only train option. The 7 runs above ground in this area. Sunnyside Gardens (north of queens blvd) is incredibly beautiful and there are some very cool restaurants and cafes nearby. Queens blvd is a bit more gritty looking but sunnyside is a fine place to live. NYSC is opening there on Dec 1.

Woodside is a bit more nondescript (for me). Also serviced by the 7 train, just a tiny bit further out than sunnyside. A mix of industry and residential. Also a decent place to live. Lots of bars, restaurants but think many of them are under the 7 train (if that bothers you)

JAckson Heights is the next neighborhood out, and that one is not on your list but maybe should be. It's extremely ethnically diverse (lots of Indian shopping on one end and then Latin on the other). There is some incredible architecture in the historic district and it's know for its restaurants. Even though it's a bit further out than the last 2 nabes, it is serviced by the E and F trains which run express so it can be faster to get to the city.

Elmhurst borders Jackson Heights and has some of the similar 6-story brick apt and coop buildings. It is heavily Asian in many parts. Some parts are near the RVG train (you could transfer to the express E and F at the next stop in Jackson Heights) and some parts are closer to the 7 train. It's a bit messier looking (aesthetically - like with ugly huge signs) than some of the other neighborhoods but I haven't felt unsafe.

After that comes Rego Park, which is convenient because it's also on the GRV lines. It's ethnically mixed and has some decent shopping (malls) and an NYSC but I find it a bit dull. It's probably quite safe.

You did not mention Forest Hills, which is also on the E/F express train so it's also fast into the city. Forest Hills has some totally incredible looking houses and some fine apartments buildings. Austin Street has some higher end stores than you generally find in Queens including Barnes and Noble, Ann Taylor, Gap, NYSC, Bath and Body Works etc.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:31 PM

706 posts, read 3,762,615 times
Crowded, crowded, crowded!

All of those places are just too crowded.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:42 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,364,642 times
Forest Hills would be the nicest of any of the neighborhoods mentioned so far. The OP didn't mention it, but its worth a look.

Donna,

All of NYC is pretty crowded. Not much can be done about that.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Forest Hills would be the nicest of any of the neighborhoods mentioned so far. The OP didn't mention it, but its worth a look.

Donna,

Well, actually, I drove today through parts of Queens that weren't crowded -- that would be Metropolitan Avenue - I started in Williamsburg in Brooklyn (crowded) and drove to Trader Joe's in Rego Park (crowded) but there were several HUGE cemeteries that I passed in between, and funny, no one seemed to be around!!

Maybe Donna Reed would like to live near that area.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:20 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,364,642 times
Oh you mean Middle Village? Yeah thats a really nice area, mostly Italian. Middle Village is mostly residential, with less commercial activity than in Forest Hills. I like Middle Village, but some of the streets are really narrow.

I think the commute into the city from Middle Village might be a bit rough though. No subway line around. Does anyone know what the deal is there?

Old 11-19-2007, 01:18 AM

I did pass by an "M" train station across from one of the cemeteries - but there were fliers on the windows that said "no trains" - which I presume was for this weekend only.

It's fun driving through Queens seeing all the neighborhoods with more houses than apartments, and just seeing stuff you can't see when you're taking the subway everywhere. And that Trader Joe's is 10 times better than the one in Manhattan.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post

Donna,

I think it depends on if you're talking about private houses or apartment complexes.

There are very many areas of Queens where there are less people per block or per blocks based on what type of housing exist.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Well, actually, I drove today through parts of Queens that weren't crowded -- that would be Metropolitan Avenue - I started in Williamsburg in Brooklyn (crowded) and drove to Trader Joe's in Rego Park (crowded) but there were several HUGE cemeteries that I passed in between, and funny, no one seemed to be around!!

Maybe Donna Reed would like to live near that area.
Cute...

I like private houses as opposed to building complexes.

I like being able to park near my destination as opposed to walking for blocks and blocks, and I prefer no meters.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:26 AM

112 posts, read 649,063 times
starrynight...
rego park/forest hills/kew gardens would be your best bet...probably the safest of all mentioned areas and the nicest looking too. its also easily accessible to manhattan..and long island (roosevelt field mall in 25 minutes by car or the LIRR is close by too). you get the best of both worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City