U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:42 PM

420 posts, read 914,795 times

Advertisements

West 155th? It's Ok immediately near Riverside Drive but I wouldn't really recommend living east of Broadway. Inwood, Hudson Heights are safer than Sugar Hill IMO. I'd recommend staying north of 175th Street and west of Broadway if you're looking to move to Upper Manhattan.

Walk around the areas you're interested in moving to both during the day and at night, maybe once more on the weekend to get a good feeling of how it is vs the weekdays. Keep in mind also that it's November and people aren't out on the street like they are in the summertime. A street that seems quiet during the fall and winter may not be so quiet in the middle of summer.... I learned that the hard way living near the Dyckman nightclub strip on 200th and Broadway.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 05:49 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,775,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
West 155th? It's Ok immediately near Riverside Drive but I wouldn't really recommend living east of Broadway. Inwood, Hudson Heights are safer than Sugar Hill IMO.
i believe sugar hill specifically refers to a few blocks east of b'way (there's an avenue called sugar hill). riverside drive area is called hamilton heights south of 155 and washington heights north of it AFAIK

both hamilton heights and WH are better than SH

i'd recommend any of WH, hudson heights or inwood over hamilton heights as well

Old 11-04-2013, 06:16 PM

21 posts, read 110,169 times
Thanks again everyone!

To make it clearer, I was referring to Sugar Hill where the C train on West 155th is but by the comments I don't think its somewhere I would want to live at right now, maybe in a couple of years when the area improves a bit more

Old 11-05-2013, 05:25 AM

912 posts, read 1,976,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNJ15 View Post
Thanks again everyone!

To make it clearer, I was referring to Sugar Hill where the C train on West 155th is but by the comments I don't think its somewhere I would want to live at right now, maybe in a couple of years when the area improves a bit more
What's your budget

Old 06-04-2015, 01:37 PM
luu

1 posts, read 828 times
hi , i will take subway to 191 then walk to a church at 187 on weekend morning, is it safe walk from the station to the church ?

Old 06-06-2015, 09:26 AM

2,972 posts, read 2,244,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luu View Post
hi , i will take subway to 191 then walk to a church at 187 on weekend morning, is it safe walk from the station to the church ?
Yeah, you'll be fine. Just have your wits about you if you're around after dark.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:16 AM

156 posts, read 266,757 times
Both the A and the 1 are pretty safe; the A train stations are more attractive. As a woman, I wouldn't walk the #1 tunnel at midnight, but I'd probably be just fine. With spouse, no issues at all. We've lived here over a year and taken both trains at pretty much any hour. Can't even imagine what sort of emergency could require Spanish language skills, but I imagine some residents and shop workers might only speak Spanish.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:42 PM

41 posts, read 33,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
Both the A and the 1 are pretty safe; the A train stations are more attractive. As a woman, I wouldn't walk the #1 tunnel at midnight, but I'd probably be just fine. With spouse, no issues at all. We've lived here over a year and taken both trains at pretty much any hour. Can't even imagine what sort of emergency could require Spanish language skills, but I imagine some residents and shop workers might only speak Spanish.

This area is generally safe regardless of the time. That tunnel is a big spooky and is kind of a long walk but you should be fine.

As far as Spanish skills, yes, you do need them. Usually shop keepers speak English (with a heavy accent) so no worries there, but most older residents 40 years old and above (and there are many of them) speak little to no English despite living in this country for decades. So in the pinch of an emergency, some Spanish will come in handy for you. Wash. Heights can feel like Miami in that sense. So I would brush up on a few basic phrases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>