Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 07:43 AM

4 posts, read 11,574 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking at an apartment in Bushwick off the Knickerbocker Ave M train stop and was curious how safe this area is. I hear Bushwick is changing rapidly, but I was curious if this is one of the areas that has improved in recent years. What is the demographic like around this area? Do you see a lot of college students/ young professionals?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 08:22 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,586 times
There is a notable amount of transplants in the area, but the area still remains Hispanic. You should be fine if you use street smarts basic level 1.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:00 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,807,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCNewbie75 View Post
Hello, I am looking at an apartment in Bushwick off the Knickerbocker Ave M train stop and was curious how safe this area is. I hear Bushwick is changing rapidly, but I was curious if this is one of the areas that has improved in recent years. What is the demographic like around this area? Do you see a lot of college students/ young professionals?

Thank you!
What block are you moving to specifically if you don't mind me asking? Depending on the block in that area, it can range from a walk in the park to a little shady. For example, Knickerbocker by where the stores are from Flushing up to Bleecker has made huge changes in the positive direction though the demographics still largely remain what they were. However, once you pass the train station heading towards cooper and the 83rd precinct, things get noticeably different. You'd be right next to Hope Gardens which isn't one of the better PJ's in Bushwick...

Old 07-21-2015, 11:12 AM

4 posts, read 11,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
What block are you moving to specifically if you don't mind me asking? Depending on the block in that area, it can range from a walk in the park to a little shady. For example, Knickerbocker by where the stores are from Flushing up to Bleecker has made huge changes in the positive direction though the demographics still largely remain what they were. However, once you pass the train station heading towards cooper and the 83rd precinct, things get noticeably different. You'd be right next to Hope Gardens which isn't one of the better PJ's in Bushwick...
I am looking near Bleecker/Wilson. Do you know anything about this corner in particular? Thank you for your in depth help! I really, really appreciate it.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I am looking near Bleecker/Wilson. Do you know anything about this corner in particular? Thank you for your in depth help! I really, really appreciate it.
yea I know that area well. That's Puerto Rico block. You'll see what I mean when you get there . Prepare to be woken up by chickens at 5-6am. That area is right in between the low rise project housing, but also it's next to what I believe is a retirement home as well as a church for Jehovah's witnesses. The latter two help to keep that block relatively calm although it can get a bit loud at times...

Old 07-21-2015, 11:22 AM

Also regarding the college students/young professionals question... No. This area while you may see hipsters/young professionals come out of the knickerbocker M train, chances are they're heading towards the other side of Knickerbocker as opposed to where you'll be. That area is still mainly longtime residents which are majority PR/Black then Dominican with a small group of hipsters.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:28 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
yea I know that area well. That's Puerto Rico block. You'll see what I mean when you get there . Prepare to be woken up by chickens at 5-6am. That area is right in between the low rise project housing, but also it's next to what I believe is a retirement home as well as a church for Jehovah's witnesses. The latter two help to keep that block relatively calm although it can get a bit loud at times...
Are those chickens free range, roof top fed, and organically sustainable?

Old 07-21-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Are those chickens free range, roof top fed, and organically sustainable?
These aren't hipster chickens my man. These are hood nuyorican chickens. They have chicken races on the block there sometimes. That block is hilarious.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:43 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Quote:

Thank you!
I visit my aunt in Bushwick off of Hasley. I saw an group of hipsters rob a kitten and a yuppie steal a newspaper from someone's door step.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I visit my aunt in Bushwick off of Hasley. I saw an group of hipsters rob a kitten and a yuppie steal a newspaper from someone's door step.
There's a little bubble of hipsters near every subway in Bushwick. Some because they got conned into living in the hood. Others because they like living in the hood but the common factor of places in Bushwick where you'll see hipsters is close train access. By halsey, they'd be close to both the J and the L. Even though it's still the case by the Knickerbocker M train, that specific section by Wilson and Bleecker heading towards Palmetto still hasn't changed too much other than the fact that it's safer than it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City