Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 5,257 times

Advertisements

Hi there, my husband and I are interested in anything about Bushwick. After buying an investment property, getting inside it and then realizing it to be a great property for a starter home (wanting to move out of Manhattan, with a baby on the way), we have decided to gut renovate it, making it our first home and first home in Brooklyn at that. Despite both our ambition to start a home and the treasure the home itself holds, we aren't schooled on the neighborhood. More people have lent their negative feedback than anything else. We want safe, that's what we want. I would appreciate truthful helpful feedback from anyone who can lend it... We're off the Halsey stop of the JMZ... thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 02:42 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
You might find more positive responses on a blog about Bushwick. I don't think I'm allowed to post a link here. Try a blog search for Bushwick and it should pop right up.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:03 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
I don't totally understand your post. The way it's written, it sounds like this is a done deal - the home has been purchased, you are renovating, you are having a baby, you are making it your home and not renting it out as originally planned. But then you say "we want safe, that's what we want" and basically are requesting "truthful helpful" feedback (what truthful-helpful means, I'm not quite sure).

It sounds to me like you want someone to get on here and say that yes, it's a lovely safe neighborhood, never had a problem, you will love it.

Is that what you want? I mean, maybe someone can provide that and that will be their honest opnion, but why ask for this kind of feedback?

Unless there is something in your post I am just not getting?

My feedback is - I know what seems like a million and one artists who are either living or working there and it is fast becoming unaffordable even for them. I personally don't know anything about the safety there but I would agree with the other poster who suggested looking for bushwick blogs and possibly event listings so you can meet some neighbors in real life.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:33 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't totally understand your post. The way it's written, it sounds like this is a done deal - the home has been purchased, you are renovating, you are having a baby, you are making it your home and not renting it out as originally planned. But then you say "we want safe, that's what we want" and basically are requesting "truthful helpful" feedback (what truthful-helpful means, I'm not quite sure).

It sounds to me like you want someone to get on here and say that yes, it's a lovely safe neighborhood, never had a problem, you will love it.

Is that what you want? I mean, maybe someone can provide that and that will be their honest opnion, but why ask for this kind of feedback?

Unless there is something in your post I am just not getting?

My feedback is - I know what seems like a million and one artists who are either living or working there and it is fast becoming unaffordable even for them. I personally don't know anything about the safety there but I would agree with the other poster who suggested looking for bushwick blogs and possibly event listings so you can meet some neighbors in real life.
thats part of the problem with posts on here....we applaud everyone's amibition to move into these neighborhoods for the sake of homeownership, but some of these neighborhoods are not exactly roses, and it takes years from a neighborhood to transform....aside from the crime and quality of life issues (which i wont discuss) regarding bushwick, the OP mentioned that a baby is on the way....schools are then going to become an issue in a few years, and with the exception of phillipa schuyler (which is junior high), i dont know of any good public elementary schools that bushwick has. can someone confirm this?

Old 11-19-2007, 04:00 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
thats part of the problem with posts on here....we applaud everyone's amibition to move into these neighborhoods for the sake of homeownership, but some of these neighborhoods are not exactly roses, and it takes years from a neighborhood to transform....aside from the crime and quality of life issues (which i wont discuss) regarding bushwick, the OP mentioned that a baby is on the way....schools are then going to become an issue in a few years, and with the exception of phillipa schuyler (which is junior high), i dont know of any good public elementary schools that bushwick has. can someone confirm this?
No longer takes years...look at Williamsburg for one. Started getting hip long ago, amd now al;l the surrounding ares on L train as well.

IMO, they'll be just fine.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:01 AM

To the OP: many on this forum are scared of the colored folk, and will scare you half to death if you post here.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

They will likely be laughing all the way to the bank as they see their property appreciate over the next few years...if they can afford a nice home in Bklyn I'm sure private/parochial schools will be a definite option.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
No longer takes years...look at Williamsburg for one. Started getting hip long ago, amd now al;l the surrounding ares on L train as well.

IMO, they'll be just fine.
it doesnt take years? so now it takes months for a neighborhood (especially 1 as large as williamsburg) to get gentrified? seriously? they started getting "long ago" (your words not mine......doesnt that translate to years? from about the mid 90s they started moving to williamsburg by the early 2000s its what you see it as today pretty much.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
To the OP: many on this forum are scared of the colored folk, and will scare you half to death if you post here.
Keeper, delete this post if you absolutely must, but i have to say my piece.

EB, go ahead and pat yourself on the back if you're a white female living in the Bronx. Nobody gives a ****.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
They will likely be laughing all the way to the bank as they see their property appreciate over the next few years...if they can afford a nice home in Bklyn I'm sure private/parochial schools will be a definite option.
well if thats the case the only advice i will be giving out from now on is "hey guys your precinct had 24 murders last year, but in 5 years that number will probably be only 4 or 5". when people come on here and ask about neighborhoods, we assume that their asking about the current conditions over there. and if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck then its a mother****ing duck. bottom line the area is not that good. actually 1 of the worst in the city. why dont you get off at halsey and broadway and walk around there daytime and night before you tell these people what a good investment they made. who's to say the property wont appreciate i'm all for it if it does. but also make them aware of the current situation they've gotten themselves into. why dont you take a walk down rockaway ave and bainbridge street and see all the winos and dopes. why dont you tell them about people blasting music all nite on broadway and all the seedy clubs that people get arrested in front of for god knows what on broadway. tell her about all the vacant lots in the area (howard and broadway) where people dump their trash. and what about the graffiti on all the cheap fedders construction that THEY JUST PUT UP. and as you can see i'm shouting out the blocks im not making this crap up.

once again, to the OP, welcome to brooklyn, and i hope everything works out in your favor. but this chick thinks she's a ghetto connoseiur (sp) because she's white and moved to the bronx and nothing's happened of a criminal nature to her. which is extremely naive. I'm not saying live in fear, but be aware (hey that rhymes).....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City