Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 01:24 PM

26 posts, read 95,790 times

Advertisements

I'm currently unemployed and living off my dwindling savings (augmented by sporadic, poorly-paid freelance work).

Friends tell me that I'm eligible for Food Stamps and should apply -- which I dread having to do, even temporarily, although it would definitely ease some of my current financial pressure.

My question: Will the Food Stamp people contact my landlord? Or require him to fill out an official "tenant verification" form?

I'm not a rent stabilized tenant. As nasty as my landlord is, I need to stay in his good graces. I fear that if he learns that I'm applying for food assistance, he'll use my shaky financial situation as grounds to "decline" to renew my lease in February (which I originally signed back when I still had a regular job).

I need to hang on to this apartment until things pick up. Without a weekly paycheck, it will be impossible to get another landlord to rent to me. (Trust me, I've tried in the past.)

But if I apply for Food Stamps, does anyone know whether the process will tip off my landlord?

Thanks.

Last edited by DillyDilly; 10-09-2013 at 01:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 01:51 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillyDilly View Post
I'm currently unemployed and living off my dwindling savings (augmented by sporadic, poorly-paid freelance work).

Friends tell me that I'm eligible for Food Stamps and should apply -- which I dread having to do, even temporarily, although it would definitely ease some of my current financial pressure.

My question: Will the Food Stamp people contact my landlord? Or require him to fill out an official "tenant verification" form?
They might and if they do, so what?

Apply for SNAP benefits online today and stop worrying about it.

https://a858-ihss.nyc.gov/ihss1/en_US/IHSS_homePage.do

Quote:
I'm not a rent stabilized tenant. As nasty as my landlord is, I need to stay in his good graces. I fear that if he learns that I'm applying for food assistance, he'll use my shaky financial situation as grounds to "decline" to renew my lease in February (which I originally signed back when I still had a regular job).
I swear these landlords have you new jacks shook! Lol!

As long as you have the money to pay the rent, then there should be no issue.

Do you know how extremely difficult it is to evict or try to get rid of a tenant in NYC? Do you really think he cares about you being on foodstamps? He doesn't. All he cares about is if you can pay his rent every month. That's it.

Last edited by marilyn220; 10-09-2013 at 02:07 PM..

Old 10-09-2013, 02:24 PM

26 posts, read 95,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I swear these landlords have you new jacks shook! Lol!
Actually, there's nothing "new" about me. I'm 63. And I've lived in New York City for my entire life.

Quote:
As long as you have the money to pay the rent, then there should be no issue.
"Should" be no issue is the worrying concept here.

Quote:
Do you know how extremely difficult it is to evict or try to get rid of a tenant in NYC?
Evicting a tenant is difficult, yes. But a landlord -- especially the owner of a non-rent regulated apartment -- can simply decline to renew a lease when it legally expires.

That's not difficult at all, especially for a landlord already known for doing so -- or for simply jacking up the rent to an unaffordable level at renewal time -- to force a tenant he suddenly deems "financially risky" to move out.

He's done it to others. Which is why I need to be cautious. And why I need to know about the Food Stamp application process for sure.

Last edited by DillyDilly; 10-09-2013 at 02:33 PM..

Old 10-09-2013, 02:32 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Look, the bottomline is that you're hungry when you don't have to be.

If they call, they call. I have no idea if they will. It's easy to verify if you're a tenant without having to notify the LL.

If you're that afraid, then call 311 to find out which places are giving away free food for you to cook in your area.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:44 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
They might and if they do, so what?

Apply for SNAP benefits online today and stop worrying about it.

https://a858-ihss.nyc.gov/ihss1/en_US/IHSS_homePage.do

Do you know how extremely difficult it is to evict or try to get rid of a tenant in NYC? Do you really think he cares about you being on foodstamps? He doesn't. All he cares about is if you can pay his rent every month. That's it.
If you can't pay the rent, its not all that difficult. Judges are more or less rubber stamping evictions these days in NYC. If you owe your landlord money and he sues to evict, going forward not only would you have to PAY, you'd have to establish that you have the INCOME to pay on a regular basis.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:49 PM

137 posts, read 272,674 times
Hi, I work in social services.

No, they don't contact your landlord.

If you are still uncomfortable with the idea, how about going to a food pantry? Call 311.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:25 PM

402 posts, read 811,246 times
good to see some people still have self respect and dignity...

Old 10-09-2013, 06:16 PM

13 posts, read 61,140 times
They won't call, they will make you bring your lease or rent receipts to prove what your rental payment is.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:36 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
They will definitely want a copy of your lease. I doubt HRA calls your landlord unless they suspect FRAUD.

You say you're in a non rent regulated apartment.

HRA will want to know what you're were doing before the point you needed Food Stamps. As for your freelance gigs, though they mean not seem much, you definitely want to be honest with them on how much you make. If you don't report it and they somehow find out (like when its time for you to pay taxes for example) they can may investigate you for fraud and in that case they might contact your landlord.

Honestly, Food stamps are really for people who aren't working or who make very little (so you will need to make sure you're income doesn't disqualify you).

Old 10-10-2013, 03:54 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillyDilly View Post
Actually, there's nothing "new" about me. I'm 63. And I've lived in New York City for my entire life.

"Should" be no issue is the worrying concept here.

Evicting a tenant is difficult, yes. But a landlord -- especially the owner of a non-rent regulated apartment -- can simply decline to renew a lease when it legally expires.

That's not difficult at all, especially for a landlord already known for doing so -- or for simply jacking up the rent to an unaffordable level at renewal time -- to force a tenant he suddenly deems "financially risky" to move out.

He's done it to others. Which is why I need to be cautious. And why I need to know about the Food Stamp application process for sure.
That person does not live here, thus the silly responses, and the reason you should ignore.

You are smart to be cautious. There are probably cases to be made disallowing discrimination against food stamp recipients, but who wants to deal with that and if your place is not regulated you could have few protections.

Food pantry idea ...? Perhaps better safe than sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: