Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 05:52 PM

28 posts, read 34,032 times

Advertisements

I wanted to get a sense on the presence of science in the city. I am currently living in DC and due to personal reasons (hating the social scene), I want to look at other cities in the east coast. I am hearing conflicting reports on opportunities in science and I wanted to get those clarified before I start trying to look for those opportunities.

I am also open to looking at North Jersey if anyone can provide any insight.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 06:15 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddorsey585 View Post
I wanted to get a sense on the presence of science in the city. I am currently living in DC and due to personal reasons (hating the social scene), I want to look at other cities in the east coast. I am hearing conflicting reports on opportunities in science and I wanted to get those clarified before I start trying to look for those opportunities.

Thanks!
What exactly within science are you looking to do? There are a pretty good amount of research institutions both within NYC and its metro. There's a pretty good concentration of research institutions whether affiliated with universities or not.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:28 PM

466 posts, read 902,068 times
Your question is way too vague to be meaningful. Careers in STEM fields are usually pretty specific. There are not "science" opportunities. There are specific opportunities in narrow fields of science, or for jobs which require very specific knowledge and skills in science.

What kind of opportunities are you interested in, and what is your current level of education?

For instance, my background is in physics but I received veeeerrry specific training in a healthcare profession. I work in NYC in a very small and very specialized field.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:19 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times
You need to be more specific than just 'science'. Data Scientists are in hot demand in NYC to startups and established tech shops (google, fbe, twiter, etc). Also there is large pharma presence in NJ and many around Morristown, Parsippany area.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:20 AM

28 posts, read 34,032 times
Sorry for the delayed response. Right now my expertise is in biological defense, microbiology and public health. While pharma is not what I desire at the moment, I could definitely explore that option.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
New York City is more Art and Money oriented rather than science.

Of course, New Jersey is still the pharmaceutical center of the country. There are lots of research facilities.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:21 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times
If you can't find anything in NYC, moving to NJ for pharma, and then taking your time to find the right one in NYC is another option to go.

Also you should consider looking into education sector in NYC and NJ. We have lot of schools here so there may be researcher opportunity.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:40 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddorsey585 View Post

Thanks!

Hmm try Boston or the Research Triangle in North Carolina!

Old 10-22-2013, 05:29 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,765 times
plenty of pharma and chem jobs both in north jersey and long island

Old 10-22-2013, 06:25 PM

202 posts, read 265,143 times
If you're into microbiology and other biological sciences, Rockefeller University has a lot of opportunities for research. I would also focus on research hospitals too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City