Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 05:18 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Many Americans are already routinely working 2 jobs.

Yes, I realize that many people are working two jobs - but you seem to be regarding it as a normal reasonable starting point, whereas I'm looking at it as something disturbing that people are driven to out of desperation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 05:24 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Many Americans are already routinely working 2 jobs. And it's very common to have both spouses in a family working just to stay in the middle class and stay solvent. These are realities especially for those who don't get generous housing, health and educational subsidies. My former landlord in Queens works 3 jobs - firefighter, landlord and a part time gig. His wife is a FT nurse. Nothing new.

In Corona and East Elmhurst, there are central american immigrants with families who work multiple low wage jobs including in Manhattan and still pay market rents.
Yes, many of these immigrants work in the service sector (restaurants, hotels, bars, taxis).

A lot of newcomers to the city, even Americans live 6 people or so to an apartment.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:26 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Yes, I realize that many people are working two jobs - but you seem to be regarding it as a normal reasonable starting point, whereas I'm looking at it as something disturbing that people are driven to out of desperation.
This is something that should be addressed by labor laws/regulations and unions. Not by subsidizing people indefinitely. Giving some people subsidies does nothing for working people who have to get by without these subsidies, and creates a permanent class of dependent people who feel that they are entitled to all.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:39 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
It's a given, whether we find it disturbing or not. America's and NYC's economy is undergoing big changes. Jobs that used to be plenty no longer are. Lack of affordable housing did not cause these hardships.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:52 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
NYC existed for a very long time without rent control/stabilization, it has only served to create yet another class of entitled elites (see public union employees) dedicated to supporting the masters controlling their addiction to someone else's money, i.e., the Democratic party.
Quote:
Another poster already pointed out the original purpose of rent stabilization. There are not that many people that have rent control anymore.

I also look at having 2 jobs just to pay rent as desperation. 2 jobs should be to save for a home, to buy a car, start a business, support a mistress/lover or some other luxury.

The way it works when someone convinces you to buy a property with rent stabilized tenants is: They sell it you for as much as they can get, to recoup what they have lost over the years and make a profit. You in turn suffer as they did, and after some years do the same thing to some one else.

This has been going on since real estate started in NY. Only people that only sell real estate make money constantly, not landlords. Cost are too high in NY and average working people cannot pay enough to stop a landlord from complaining. Obviously the landlord doesn't have enough money to buy a non-rent stabilized building. Why not buy in another city that doesn't have these laws?

Old 10-13-2013, 05:56 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Why stop at 2 jobs? Why not demand 3 jobs to pay the rent. There's no reason why landlords cannot lay claim to every penny their tenants earn? And THEN some.
Children could be put to work to make sure large rent increases every year are sustainable.
There's no limit.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:58 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Nah,i say stop at two jobs but if you still can't pay the rent then you get evicted or are the governments responsibility not mine.

You have to move to an area you can afford. Gee what a revelation.

Imagine that,you have to eat what you harvest. What a novel idea.

Maybe i should feed them and pay their iphone bill too.

Oh wait ,tax wise we already are.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-13-2013 at 06:06 PM..

Old 10-13-2013, 06:06 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
Yeah as long as your rent goes up just as much i guess.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:11 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Another poster already pointed out the original purpose of rent stabilization. There are not that many people that have rent control anymore.

I also look at having 2 jobs just to pay rent as desperation. 2 jobs should be to save for a home, to buy a car, start a business, support a mistress/lover or some other luxury.

The way it works when someone convinces you to buy a property with rent stabilized tenants is: They sell it you for as much as they can get, to recoup what they have lost over the years and make a profit. You in turn suffer as they did, and after some years do the same thing to some one else.

This has been going on since real estate started in NY. Only people that only sell real estate make money constantly, not landlords. Cost are too high in NY and average working people cannot pay enough to stop a landlord from complaining. Obviously the landlord doesn't have enough money to buy a non-rent stabilized building. Why not buy in another city that doesn't have these laws?
If you ever tried to do long distance real estate investing you would know why few small landlords want to get involved out of state.

I owned a home in the poconos and sold it after 5 years of trying to deal with a property with no tenant.

The last thing i would want to do is deal with tenants,courts and lawyers out of state.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:20 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Why stop at 2 jobs? Why not demand 3 jobs to pay the rent. There's no reason why landlords cannot lay claim to every penny their tenants earn? And THEN some.
Children could be put to work to make sure large rent increases every year are sustainable.
There's no limit.
Rents actually haven't skyrocketed outside of Manhattan and a few hyped areas in Brooklyn. And there are landlords who cannot afford to keep their apartments sitting empty. There's enough competition to keep landlords sweating to land responsible tenants. It's not rents that's forcing people to work 2 to 3 jobs. It's the lack of career opportunities, personal debt and salaries that have been stagnant for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City