Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:17 PM

424 posts, read 973,435 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there's a thread around here about which is the "best" airport and cheapest to fly out of but how do they stack up with everyone?

I've been flying out and into LaGuardia ever since I moved into the city since I was living in Queens and fly Southwest which only flies out of LaGuardia... it was the closet airport anyway to my old neighborhoods of Forest Hills and Astoria anyway. Even when living in Manhattan continued to use it as my preferred airport. Maybe I'm lucky so far but I haven't really had any complications flying out of LGA despite its reputation as one of the worst airports in the country. I've considered JFK and Newark but am not sure... JFK has international flights and thus more expensive airlines flying out of there. Newark airport seems like a pain coming from Queens and even Manhattan... not sure if the PATH even goes out there but it might have cheaper airlines than JFK.

It depends on where you live of course but I didn't find LaGuardia to be all that bad flying into and out even during the holidays (a few days before Thanksgiving I had the fastest security check ever there since there were only 4 other people in line at 9am) But what does everyone else think of JFK and Newark?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 12:27 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
I Don't know about Newark, but going to JFK depending on if your traveling down the LIE and Van Wyck can be problemtic due to traffic delays and congestion, it can have you waiting in traffic for a long time. Lets not forget using the subway to get to JFK can take a longtime and then transferring to the AirTran which takes 5 mins to get to JFK. What's good about JFK is that the airport has more destinations not only because its international but has more direct flights to more far distant regions of America, compared to LGA if you plan on flying out of LGA to get to Seattle expect to stop and transfer planes to continue your journey. Me personally I prefer LGA because its nearby, however LGA terminals can be a mad house, disorganized security, rude workers, long lines when trying to check in security, not very seamless. Also LGA does not have as much destinations compared to LGA, also larger planes can not land at LGA. LGA is only good for flying along the East Coast, if one is going to the West Coast out of LGA, expect a stop or a transfer and a layover when flying out of LGA!

Old 10-15-2013, 12:53 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,141 times
Rates tend to be cheaper out of LGA for the flights I've looked at when compared to JFK. This is just to Detroit, so take that with a grain of salt.

Like the above said, you can't really go that far out of LGA without a layover. Even just going to Detroit, I think delta is the only airline that will fly direct. This is only like an hour and a half flight.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:18 PM

364 posts, read 708,039 times
I have had the worst luck with LGA - Every one of my flight (whether it's for business or personal, either outbound or inbound) is delayed. In addition, the cab ride home to Brooklyn is always terrible.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:14 PM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
I have flown out of LGA and JFK. It seems that there are more delays when I am flying in/out of LGA and then when I am flying in/out of JFK. Since I live in Queens I don't really use EWR (Newark).

Old 10-15-2013, 03:22 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
I live in Manhattan. Generally I get better fares out of JFK. I've also taken to using the Airtrain to JFK, which, while a little annoying sometimes, does work, and is eons cheaper than cabs.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:31 PM

257 posts, read 684,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I live in Manhattan. Generally I get better fares out of JFK. I've also taken to using the Airtrain to JFK, which, while a little annoying sometimes, does work, and is eons cheaper than cabs.
Same. It takes me an hour tops door to security check at JFK taking public transportation. Any time of day. I would take E train (Lex to Airtrain) even at 4 in the morning. Just did that few days ago. Hate LaGuardia. haven't been there in yrs.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:55 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,025,676 times
Newark is easy to get to via NJT from Penn Station. Very convenient.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:28 PM

32 posts, read 95,676 times
Go with JFK if you can. Aside from one snowstorm, we've had fairly good luck flying into and out of there.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:19 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,563 times
I live in Manhattan (Murray Hill/Grammercy) and i try to fly out of LGA because its the closest. I've flown business from LGA and a handful of times at JFK. Both are crappy airports, delays out of either one are a crapshoot and i've been in horrendous lines at both.

However, one reason i do like JFK is Jetblue. The terminal is great, and I've scored good fares going to Orlando, even taking into account the costlier cab ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City