Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 10:44 AM

290 posts, read 688,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
They don't? Why else would they move then?
To retire in Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, or Ft Myers...for cheaper living...for the not-so-fast-paced way of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 10:50 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
They don't? Why else would they move then?
For a change of scenery, retirement, job, etc.

There's no "re-invention". NYers are still the same people wherever they go.

Dweebs from other places come to NYC, get a makeover to try to appear more "cosmopolitan", but the dweebness still radiates through in conversation and mannerisms which results in "pretentiousness".

Old 10-17-2013, 11:05 AM

5,113 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Not disagreeing, what what is the greatest to you? Just curious. I've been to Barcelona to Siam Reap to Paris, Rome, Tokyo, etc. I may be biased since NYC has always been my home.

And to OP, it would help if you gave examples of what you meant.. I would imagine most of the experiences are with young people not from New York that are feeling good about themselves for being here and "living their dream."

In terms of diversity, no other city beats nyc. The four seasons in NYC are also wonderful. Its close proximity to the ocean and mountains and lakes are big pluses. The art scene may be of top quality too, but I am not into that so much. Other than that, nyc ranks somewhere in the middle of my list of cities. You have many nice and charming european cities such as Vienna, Hamburg, Brussels, Amsterdam, Stockholm, etc, which all easily top NYC imo. I was so shocked by how rude and indifferent people were on my first visit to nyc over 20 years ago. I never thought of coming back again had it not for my job. By now, I am adjusted to the way it is.

Last edited by leoliu; 10-17-2013 at 11:27 AM..

Old 10-17-2013, 12:35 PM

23 posts, read 33,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I agree with you but I also know of examples I came across from. Someone had pointed out that a yuppie im gentry Brooklyn said that people who live in South Brooklyn are neanderthals. I came across many transplants say stupid and silly things. Like onetime there was a shootout near 12, and a SF transplant said oh gosh Im gonna die. Another comment from another Transplant. The reason why New Yorkers dont enjoy college football is because most New Yorkers do not go to college. Another guy who is from Memphis, he worked in thr Bronx and laughed at Black people in the projects chilling with iphones anf expensive air jordans, but where he comes from is far worse than any Bronx hood, even more worse than Mott Haven which super mario claims as the worst area in America. Over heard two oh gosh like yah white women, one of the woman was persuading her friend to cheat on her boyfriend by stating its not considered cheating if he finds out. problem is this, yuppie transplants have superioity complex which comes from their parents, everyone gets a trophy, oh your the best, self entitled millennial, narcissist. Also plenty of high self esteem and self worth from going to a Grade A college and feel culturally superior over the masses.

And this behavior is also commonly among black yuppies and other non white yuppies. It just reinforces my hatred for these guys. Someone tell these guys that they are not special! Another thing I've noticed is a lot of these young professional are not sharpest tool in the box. They talk like they are they bastions of wisdom and knowledge but say the stupidest things. And don't get me started on those valley girls. ARGH!!

All yuppies should undergo some sort of cultural rehabilitation. Remove the a$shole from within before moving here. Or better yet, try to humble yourself.

Last edited by crookepalace; 10-17-2013 at 12:44 PM..

Old 10-17-2013, 12:59 PM

895 posts, read 1,702,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
I take offense that you say many young people in New York are less pretentious than people in San Fran or Boston.

It is very difficult to generalize 1.5million people (I'll limit this to Manhattan, as that's where I live and don't venture out much and wouldn't be able to offer opinion on surrounding areas). Those that you are describing as pretentious are highly visible. They are the ones at the swanky after work happy hours, the clubs and restaurants you read about in the paper, the $200 / month gyms. Many of them have attributes where they are 'elite' in an area in life that is likely important to them. The girls at the ultra exclusive nightclubs. Well, they are likely models, or gorgeous at the least, and are used to certain benefits and advantages in life. Those finance guys out at the hot new restaurants dropping a few hundred dollars on bottles of wine....well, they likely excelled in school (and often times sports) their entire life, got into the exclusive schools, got the elusive job, etc. The ones that you see out in these 'pretentious places' have made it, or at least in their eyes. Often times, the only way to do that is with a high degree of confidence in oneself, which can easily translate into what can be perceived as a cocky attitude.
I said that that ny was more pretentious than most other cities with the exception of san fran or boston, implying that those two cities were high on the pretension spectrum as well.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:09 PM

895 posts, read 1,702,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
Young professionals in New York are no more or less than young professionals in other major city's... It's interesting that the OP limits pretentiousness to only those who are young.

Or maybe we can end the transplant vs native flame wars by giving the 5 boroughs back to the hundreds of Lenape Indians who are the real native NYer's.
I focus on that demographic because they are who I deal with due to my age.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:11 PM

338 posts, read 676,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I don't know if I could share a specific experience with you that would illustrate this concept, it is more the general ambience I feel ...

Absent specific examples of bad behavior, this sounds more like a personal issue. You'll see what you're expecting to see, most of the time.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:12 PM

809 posts, read 1,272,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I don't know if I could share a specific experience with you that would illustrate this concept, it is more the general ambience I feel when going out to eat, going to see live music, etc. It seems like there is an element of self importance in the air that is more pronounced than most other cities, excluding San Francisco, LA, and maybe Boston. I live in Seattle and it certainly has pretentious elements but it is much more tempered.

I feel like people think they live in the cultural capital of the world and if they got a job there they must be the pick of the litter. It is a dog eat dog mentality up there and people must get that way in order to survive. Those that appear more reserved, unassuming and compassionate are sure to get the shaft.
Dude, it IS the cultural capital of the world. Get over it

It's the attitude that makes it New York City. I don't care for SFO.

Last edited by Duchamp Dude; 10-17-2013 at 01:29 PM..

Old 10-17-2013, 01:24 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otown native View Post
To retire in Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, or Ft Myers...for cheaper living...for the not-so-fast-paced way of life.
And reinvent yourself as some laid-back retiree wearing Hawaiian shirts all of a sudden. So New York.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:34 PM

706 posts, read 1,041,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
People are going the other way with this topic and it just shows how sensitive some people are. The classic defense mechinism when people single a group out is why do you care so much... It's not about that. If I'm just going about my daily life trying to get by but at the same time have eyes and ears where I can see from a mile away if a pretentious prick has a condescending way of being for whatever insecure reason that pops into his/her head, i'm going to take offense to that. No one person is any more important than the other due to job position, wealth, college degree, etc.
That makes no sense. So you are walking down the street and you see someone walking by that looks "pretentious" and it ruins your entire day? You give that much power to complete strangers..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City