Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:49 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times

Advertisements

These days, many motorists driving in Northern Boulevard feel the urgency to step on the gas as soon as they see you on the horizon trying to make a turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 07:15 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
What was the name of the Ice Cream shop on Springfield and does anyone remember the yearly Carnival on Springfield across from 67th?

Old 10-04-2014, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,082 times
Default Bayside

Hamburger Express had delish burgers...Joes Pizza and Larrys record shop on Springfield Blvd...OMG
I went to PS 74 as well and Francis Lewis High...things were just simple then, right?
What about Adrians Bakery?? To die for! They had the best everything...too bad they closed
I lived on 215th ...was always at 73rd ave stores...the corner candy store on Bell Blvd best ice cream and soda fountain.

Roller skating, sleigh riding down hills and playing punch ball in the street...WE are the lucky ones who got to experience those great times...agreed??

Old 03-11-2015, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,942 times
I was in the first class in P S 213 the very first day it opened in September 1955. I remember most of the teachers names Mr Dundon, Mr tufel, Mrs varnes, Mrs Caulderwood Mrs Hartman ,Mrs James and Mrs Eberlin the first principal there was Mr Paul Kokonan . i remember the old Springfield blvd with Firestone, Jahns, The Dougout Oakland News Oakland drug store and platt drugs and Wolfs Hardware. I remember sleigh riding on dead mans hill on the old golf course and I remember Jays diner before Keil Bros florist was there. I remember there was a farm near the golf course and when the kids would go on his property the farmer used to chase us carrying a shotgun. It was a wonderful place to grow up and when I think back I have wonderful memories.

Michael Chaiken

Old 09-23-2016, 04:07 PM
mng

1 posts, read 2,605 times
Hamburger Express was in Great Neck on Middle Neck Road

Old 12-23-2016, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 9,413 times
Default I think I reemeber you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy michaels View Post
I was in the first class in P S 213 the very first day it opened in September 1955. I remember most of the teachers names Mr Dundon, Mr tufel, Mrs varnes, Mrs Caulderwood Mrs Hartman ,Mrs James and Mrs Eberlin the first principal there was Mr Paul Kokonan . i remember the old Springfield blvd with Firestone, Jahns, The Dougout Oakland News Oakland drug store and platt drugs and Wolfs Hardware. I remember sleigh riding on dead mans hill on the old golf course and I remember Jays diner before Keil Bros florist was there. I remember there was a farm near the golf course and when the kids would go on his property the farmer used to chase us carrying a shotgun. It was a wonderful place to grow up and when I think back I have wonderful memories.

Michael Chaiken

All of what you said makes me remember growing up in Bayside. I to went to P.S.213 but only sixth grade in 1962. Then went to P.S.74 and then onto Francis Lewis High. I used to work at Lefty and Louis's candy store at the far end of the stores near to Joe's Pizza. I know the family who owned Joe's Pizza. A slice and a coke was 25 cents. Anyway thanks for the memories.

Bob Amoroso

Old 01-29-2018, 02:21 AM

3 posts, read 6,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbread View Post
I lived in Windsor Park in Bayside, next to the Vanderbilt Highway, until 1954 or 1955. I was only 4 or 5 years old. I remember Hamburger Express that brought you your food on plates on electric trains that ran on tracks around the counter. I also remember a dentist by the name of Wolinsky. Anyone know anything about this? Was Hamburger Express on Bell Boulevard? I don't recall much.
The Hamburger Express was on 73rd a few doors from NNicholls 5 and dime. Adrians was on same side-The best bakery ever omg I used DR wolinsky also.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
What was the name of the Ice Cream shop on Springfield and does anyone remember the yearly Carnival on Springfield across from 67th?

The ice cream parlor was Jahn's and the carnival was held on the lot between Springfield and P.S. 46 ACROSS FROM 67TH AV Do you remember the deli on 73rd near Windsor- the opened a second store on Springfield in the late 50s.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
I went to PS 46, JHS 74. Lived on 212th st. Yogi's, Adrian's Bakery, Futerman's Deli, Digi's pizzA. All on or around Bell and 73rd. Ave. Had so much fun there in the early 60s. Stickball, girls, Ice Cream Trucks.......

We grew up in same neighborhood- I was there in the 50s and it was the best place to be a kid or a teenager -married by 1963 and moved away but memories still=

Old 03-25-2018, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,242 times
I lived on 220th st., about a block or 2 from Alley Pond Park, until I was 7; then out to Plainview, L.I. I have wonderful memories of playing in the court within the garden apartment area. There were probably 4 or so courts that we would mix with , competitions in ring-a-leevio, hide and seek, etc. Children of all ages participated. I remember going to Lotollipop Farm in Syosset, Kiddie City where?, and The Hamburger Express! That was the coolest way to have your food served EVER. In the early 60's, my fondest memories involved going to Freedomland In The Bronx (became Co-op City). Disney has nothing better than that place; too bad it only lasted 4 years. Ah, the good old days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City