Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 9,501 times

Advertisements

Wandering the Internet, out in LA thinking of the good/bad old days in Bayside when I was a youngster, a time so long ago I can remember our
neighborhood as the LIE was under construction.
Attempting to compile a history of Bayside from those days.
Anyone remember Hamburger Express? Lamston's? Larry's Record Shop?
The Big Apple, A&P, King Kullen? Selma Petersilie's luncheonette?
If you're a real local, you'll know that I refer to an area of Bayside bordered by Springfield/Horace Harding boulevards, up to Cloverdale Elementary School
and over to JHS 74.
I'm managed to connect with a buddy from JHS 74 (whom I hadn't seen in
27 years) and his family and I enjoy regular visits.
There's one fellow out here who's the local advice Dr. on our KNBC/Channel 4 station; he was a real creep that I knew well back at PS 213.
Anyone remember Spider Jorgensen? Would like to be in touch. He was a ballplayer who was a buddy of mine during elementary and junior high.
Anyone know the whereabouts of Jane Lebow or Pamela Carvel? Pamela's
uncle was the celebrated Tom Carvel, and if anyone reads this who attended
PS 213, you'll know that he donated Carvel product to our graduation dance...back in about 1959!
Let me ramble another time.
Should any of you have memories to share, would enjoy hearing from you.
By the way...I pass Bayside on my way out to Amagansett every summer,
and unlike so much else around, it's actually become a nicer looking small
community than it was back in the day. Those tiny garden apartments are now pricey condo's and the private homes have been maintained beautifully.
Oh...to be sleigh riding down the hill at the golf course, with a pit stop at
Jahn's for a hot cocoa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 03:27 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,719 times
Nice post. I think however it should be moved to the NYC forum if you want to get a reply.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:16 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,964,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baysiderecall View Post
Should any of you have memories to share, would enjoy hearing from you.
By the way...I pass Bayside on my way out to Amagansett every summer,
and unlike so much else around, it's actually become a nicer looking small
community than it was back in the day. Those tiny garden apartments are now pricey condo's and the private homes have been maintained beautifully.
Oh...to be sleigh riding down the hill at the golf course, with a pit stop at
Jahn's for a hot cocoa!
I guess you missed bay terrace and all the high rises, bayside is way too congested, navigating bell blvd is a drive through hell, I guess from the prism of happy memories and an LA mindset it still looks good to you

Old 08-24-2009, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 8,827 times
Default Bayside

I lived in Windsor Park in Bayside, next to the Vanderbilt Highway, until 1954 or 1955. I was only 4 or 5 years old. I remember Hamburger Express that brought you your food on plates on electric trains that ran on tracks around the counter. I also remember a dentist by the name of Wolinsky. Anyone know anything about this? Was Hamburger Express on Bell Boulevard? I don't recall much.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 7,833 times
We moved from Astoria to Bayside in the early 1950's. They were just erecting the homes in the Police/fireman project and we bought one on 207th Street and 26th Avenue.
We grew up playing in the woods of the Cord Meyer estate before the Throgs Neck Bridge and Bay Terrace came along. We caddied at Bayside Golf Course($6.00 for a double) and practiced at Clearview Golf Course(still there today). One brother got a golf scholarship to St. John's University.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 7,608 times
I went to PS 46, JHS 74. Lived on 212th st. Yogi's, Adrian's Bakery, Futerman's Deli, Digi's pizzA. All on or around Bell and 73rd. Ave. Had so much fun there in the early 60s. Stickball, girls, Ice Cream Trucks.......

Old 11-02-2012, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 9,412 times
Default Bayside resident from 1962-1968

This is a wonderful site. I was trying to remember Larry's record shop and my first experience seeing the Beatles cardboard ad and the way the heads of the fab four bobbed back and forth was something I will never forget.
My brother Richie and I were fresh from moving from Smithtown via the Bronx and moved into the Garden appartments. The "Looly Pop Court" is where we lived and I attended PS 213 in the 6th grade and then attended JHS 74. Attended St Robert's Cathloic school for my 8th grade and then went to Francis Lewis.
I also sleighed down the old golf course with one of my best friends Steven Reilly, his father was the caddy master of the golf course. The course became homes and they erected Cardoza HS.
My brother and I were in a band called The Mummys and were in the battle of the bands at JHS 74. I was the singer and my brother was the drummer with Burt Stollerman and Mickey Yasparro And Billy Zavecki on guitars. We lost and but what an experience!
Best pizza in town was Joe's on Springfield and Jimmy Vitale's aunt ran the place, slice and a coke for 25 cents. I ate a Kitchen sink at Jahn's and occasionally stole small items from Lampston's. Don't bust me please.

Last edited by ramoroso; 11-02-2012 at 11:30 AM..

Old 11-02-2012, 11:39 AM

594 posts, read 1,633,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermelstein View Post
We caddied at Bayside Golf Course($6.00 for a double)
Wait a minute...are you telling me you used to make $6.00 a pop for carrying 2 golf bags around the course? Assuming this was the 50's, (let's say 1955), that would be the equivalent of $49.70 today. You made that in a couple of hours?? Geez...I'm in the wrong business...

Old 11-02-2012, 03:02 PM

106,621 posts, read 108,757,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
I guess you missed bay terrace and all the high rises, bayside is way too congested, navigating bell blvd is a drive through hell, I guess from the prism of happy memories and an LA mindset it still looks good to you
i live in bay terrace

Old 11-03-2012, 08:46 PM

18 posts, read 39,395 times
This is very interesting, the 50s seemed like such a great time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City