Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 08:03 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,234,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
It's hard to decide where to move, hence this thread...
Follow your heart. People on a forum aren't gonna know whats right or wrong for you. I think back to the many moves I made pre internet. I would just get up and go. I didn't know much about places but moved where I thought I would like. Some I liked, some I didn't but the experiences I had were great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 08:44 PM

137 posts, read 272,767 times
New Orleans. Algiers is a very nice community. Lots of trees, yards, community. Diversity, culture, a rich history....

Old 10-18-2013, 08:48 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,666 times
Why not Dallas?

Old 10-18-2013, 08:53 PM

850 posts, read 796,254 times
Don't think the grass is greener on the other side, I moved from chicago to atlanta for a job and I hate it here, weather is good, but thats it. I think NY and the people are great.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:31 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,349 times
I am 31, been in ny for 8 years, and often times feel the same. I have been trying to relocate to miami beach. Nice mix of suburban and urban, weather, conducive to fit lifestyle which is important to me, and you can live like a king for a lot less than in nyc.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:21 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,016 times
Florida, Texas, Cali

Midwest is dead

Old 10-19-2013, 04:14 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Its actually pretty easy to decide to move. If you're giving serious thought about moving, start applying for jobs/schools in other places. When you get offers, you can assess them and end up taking the one you like best.

If you just sit around and passively talk or wait until things are perfect, you'll never do anything.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:40 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,354,335 times
My husband and I have a "five year plan" where we will kind of evaluate our situation in a few more years.

I also would like to move. But since we haven't seen most of the US, we plan on taking mini-trips (hopefully) throughout the next few years to see if there's anything else out (big city) that is more affordable. Regardless, I know I'd still miss the city and the convenience.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:51 AM

29,214 posts, read 22,354,404 times
This is an interesting topic for me; I live in Idaho, a would-be destination for a lot of city folks who are looking to move to the wide open spaces.
I've visited NYC several times. The last was about 10 years ago, when I flew out to the Catskills for some training by the company I worked for. A co-worker and I stayed in Fishkill, and took the classes in Peekskill. We drove back and forth in a rental car daily.
What hit me the most was how quiet and small all the little towns were, and how remote they seemed with the big city so close by. I took a train into Manhattan, and was really amazed at how short the distance was.

Out here, folks from big cities often have no concept of how far apart towns are. I live in the 3rd largest city in the state, and we are less than 60,000 people. It's 50 miles away to the closest town of similar size, 300 to Boise, the only large metro in the state, and 200 to Salt Lake City, the closest metro.

And people from a 200 mile radius all around us come here to find some entertainment, shopping, and things to do. In between our relatively tiny communities, there is nothing but a big bunch of nothing, as far as humans go. Anywhere 50 or so miles away from a city here is wilderness.

I would never have thought that I would see wilderness in a similar distance so close to NYC. I was amazed at how heavily wooded the countryside was, and how rough it was, especially when thinking about how old and settled that area was. Out here, everything that's 100 years old is ancient; I expected I would see lots of old farmsteads, woodlots, etc. but, while different, the Catskills were as rough as any of the forests out here.

I came away thinking about how many folks go thousands of miles to seek someplace new that is uncrowded, but how easy it is to overlook areas that are close at hand. The lifestyle I observed in Fishkill wasn't a lot different that living in Shelley, Idaho. Only the countryside differs.

As a native Idahoan, I'm not used to big cities, and find them to be too much concentrated humanity for me. I was born and raised on a ranch, so that's natural, I guess, as I'm comfortable spending weeks in places where the closest living soul is miles away. But I've seen many folks who have moved out here and found that isolation to be boring, scary, and just as much a pain in the ass as living in a crowded city. It's just a different pain in the ass, and newcomers have no old friends, family, or familiar faces to ease the adjustment.

Before you pack up the pickup and split, I think anyone would be well advised to actually go spend some time first in a place that looks like paradise from far away. The more time, the better.

Last edited by banjomike; 10-19-2013 at 06:04 AM..

Old 10-19-2013, 08:15 AM

466 posts, read 901,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Follow your heart. People on a forum aren't gonna know whats right or wrong for you. I think back to the many moves I made pre internet. I would just get up and go. I didn't know much about places but moved where I thought I would like. Some I liked, some I didn't but the experiences I had were great.
Cool story bro. A lot of people like to do research before moving. "Follow your heart" is trite BS. If you don't think rationally about your decisions then you are more liable to make a poor one.

Sure, at some point, it helps to follow your heart. But it's better to think rationally first and narrow down your choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City