Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 05:45 PM

15 posts, read 24,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
I'm in the same boat as you are brother. For me, I just can't get up and leave or else I would've done so a while ago. The city gets to me too, and I agree with everything you described.

I would recommend Austin, TX - definitely better cost of living, people are friendlier and it's more spread out (albeit the traffic is still bad). It's a fast growing city but there's enough jobs to support the population. Great music scene, lots of singles in your age range and the weather isn't bad either.

Also look into Charlotte and New Orleans. New Orleans is VERY laid back.
I'll look into it, thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK04 View Post
I feel the same way lol.. I was thinking Seattle, LA, or Chicago. Haven't been to any of those cities, but I will in the near future and probably make a decision then. I'd still want to be located in a city, but NYC is just too much..
I know what you mean! I don't mind living in a city just not a big one lol. I've visited La and Chicago and those cities reminded me of NY.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
I like NYC and will stay here for at least four years, but I have thought about where I might like to live if/when I move.

Northwest Arkansas is one option, since that's my home.

Big cities that I like are Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, San Diego, Denver, and Atlanta. There are lots of midsize cities and towns that I would also consider. I think a lot of the coastal Californian towns would be nice, as would the Californian wine country towns. Boulder, CO would be nice. A nice New England town might work, too.
thx for info! I look into it further.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Follow your heart. People on a forum aren't gonna know whats right or wrong for you. I think back to the many moves I made pre internet. I would just get up and go. I didn't know much about places but moved where I thought I would like. Some I liked, some I didn't but the experiences I had were great.

Easier said than done. I don't expect anyone to decide for me as to where I should go. I'm merely asking for suggestions and doing research before I decide to move anywhere. Everyone's situation is different and some of us can't just leave everything behind and start over somewhere new right away. It does take a lot of planning , time and resources.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Its actually pretty easy to decide to move. If you're giving serious thought about moving, start applying for jobs/schools in other places. When you get offers, you can assess them and end up taking the one you like best.

If you just sit around and passively talk or wait until things are perfect, you'll never do anything.
I know that's why I'm not just sitting around and waiting for things to go my way lol. I've actually been applying to jobs in several places. I'm hoping to hear from them soon but will keep on researching.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:32 AM

88 posts, read 84,708 times
I'm in the same boat, I don't hate new york really, but i'm over it, and can't afford it anymore. I think after living here 20 years it will be a compromise anywhere else, but my thoughts are similar to a lot of other people, Austin, Miami, Denver, Seattle.. I love Chicago like crazy, but I don't want more hard winters, I hear Nashville is supposed to be nice as well as Santa Fe. It's easy to move, but it's a huge decision. One of the reasons I need to go is the air quality, I have sinus problems all the time, and the air quality sucks. I feel like in NYC we are all under this delusion that this is the only place worth living in... but if you aren't rich, you really can't take advantage of a lot of the culture etc that make it so great.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:55 AM

88 posts, read 84,708 times
btw, nobody is talking about the coast, like miami, ft lauderdale, carolinas etc... why not?

Old 03-08-2015, 11:40 AM

30 posts, read 64,908 times
I'm all in.. I need suggestions on getting out of here too. I'm actually looking into Chicago since I've been there, but I can't find a way to make the move.. I work as a substitute for the NYC DOE and the pay isn't all that great, since I'm only paid per day and I'm on-call.. meaning that I only work when they need me. And that hasn't been happening much lately.. So I would have to have a good paying job lined up before I set foot anywhere... Anyone know how the job market is in Chicago? Is it easier to find employment than NYC?

Old 03-08-2015, 04:39 PM

371 posts, read 526,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobSaibot View Post
I'm all in.. I need suggestions on getting out of here too. I'm actually looking into Chicago since I've been there, but I can't find a way to make the move.. I work as a substitute for the NYC DOE and the pay isn't all that great, since I'm only paid per day and I'm on-call.. meaning that I only work when they need me. And that hasn't been happening much lately.. So I would have to have a good paying job lined up before I set foot anywhere... Anyone know how the job market is in Chicago? Is it easier to find employment than NYC?
It's hard to get a job in another city while living somewhere else. Basically, you have to have family there for that to work. I have been trying that for a while and you can put someone else's address down if you know someone that lives locally.

If you apply with a different address, they might want you to interview right away and it might be hard based on travel time.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:31 PM

30 posts, read 64,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
It's hard to get a job in another city while living somewhere else. Basically, you have to have family there for that to work. I have been trying that for a while and you can put someone else's address down if you know someone that lives locally.

If you apply with a different address, they might want you to interview right away and it might be hard based on travel time.
I have a friend that lives there, so that wont be much of a problem, but you are right about jobs wanting to interview right away..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City