U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:54 PM

158 posts, read 573,204 times

Advertisements

You know how small town people love to bash certain ideas into people's heads. Here's a simple question.. is it really impossible to make the move to the Big Apple? For a young couple with a small child, at least..

Cultural diversity, job opportunities, eccentric chances at making it big somewhere if you've got the talent, lots to do.. Historically speaking, NYC has been presented to me as a place that is so expensive that it makes people's heads spin. We don't want to buy a house or plant ourselves, we just want to actually live life while we have one. This small time thing is done.

Any advice?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 06:13 PM

6,993 posts, read 16,339,573 times
Millions are living there and making it every day, so why cant you? Don't ever let someone tell you what you can and can not do. Sit back, study the situation from every angle possible, map out a blue print for your plan with your wife and execute it. As long as you and the wife are moving as one unit and as long as your plan is as air tight as you can possibly make it, you will be fine. Just don't let your emotions cloud your judgment, try to look at things from a logical stand point and you should be fine.

Best of luck

Old 11-19-2007, 06:39 PM

That's a very fair answer, thank you very much. At least it was not an answer from one of the "exclusives" who don't want newcomers.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:20 PM

11,149 posts, read 14,977,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStarLiesWest View Post
You know how small town people love to bash certain ideas into people's heads. Here's a simple question.. is it really impossible to make the move to the Big Apple? For a young couple with a small child, at least..

Cultural diversity, job opportunities, eccentric chances at making it big somewhere if you've got the talent, lots to do.. Historically speaking, NYC has been presented to me as a place that is so expensive that it makes people's heads spin. We don't want to buy a house or plant ourselves, we just want to actually live life while we have one. This small time thing is done.

Any advice?
It's certainly not impossible, but make sure you do your research before you make this great leap into the unknown. My main concern would be with your child -- many NYC schools are less-than-good (and I'm saying that as a NYC teacher) -- so be aware that this could be a problem for you.

But -- go for it if you can!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:38 PM

146 posts, read 660,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post

But -- go for it if you can!
Agreed. You only live once, right? But a huge factor in how well you do here is your job skills/educational background. Just make you sure you can get a job that pays a living wage, as a lot of them don't (depending on how you define living).

Old 11-19-2007, 09:18 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,825,184 times
Ever think about the burbs. We are pretty diverse ourselves. And we have better schools for your kid for sure.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:34 PM

When you say burbs, where do you mean? I don't want to live IN NYC. Not only can I not afford it, I just wouldn't feel safe with a child. I'd be happy to consider the area around NYC, where do you live? What're the prices like?

Traffic will be hell that I know, but I'm looking forward to public transit. What's the job market for telecommunications and IT like up there?

Old 11-20-2007, 05:47 PM

6,993 posts, read 16,339,573 times
A friend just moved back to NYC from south florida. He was able to land 70,000 in time square some where as a network admin.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:53 PM

Wow. I could deal with that.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:21 AM

44 posts, read 243,643 times
Default Why not NYC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStarLiesWest View Post
When you say burbs, where do you mean? I don't want to live IN NYC. Not only can I not afford it, I just wouldn't feel safe with a child.
We just moved to NYC with our preschooler and I have no safety concerns. Have you been here lately? There are tons and tons of kids in NYC. I'm most familiar with UWS and Morningside Heights, both with have a large population of children and many many many parks and playgrounds.
Now, in terms of expense, yes, living here is pricey..our 2 bedroom is
$2500 per month. If you can handle a large 1 bedroom then you could possibly get one for $2000 if you look around, but you'll definately have to use a broker, who will charge you 15% of your annual rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City