Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:41 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times

Advertisements

Just in time for the holiday season, millions of American families will see their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits—aka food stamps—slashed by the federal government. On November 1st, recipients of SNAP benefits will lose a portion of their monthly allowance when the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act law expires. The ARRA, which was enacted in 2009, raised the monthly benefits of families on the SNAP program as a reaction to the recession. Now benefits will return to their pre-recession levels, depending on circumstances like household size, income and monthly expenses.
According to the USDA, a family of four with no changes to their status will receive $36 fewer dollars after the first of the month. “For those of us who spend $1.70 a day on a latte this doesn’t seem like a big change," says Stacy Dean, vice president for food assistance policy at the Center on Budget and Police Priorities. "But it does kind of really highlight that millions of families are living on an extremely modest food budget.” Over 1 in 7 Americans are currently enrolled in the SNAP program and the program feeds 1.8 million people in New York City alone. The average monthly benefit is approximately $275 per household.
The scaling back of SNAP benefits comes just a month after the U.S. House of Representatives voted 217-210 to cut the SNAP budget by $4 billion annually. The cuts would come down over the next decade and would also allow states to maintain stricter standards for eligibility, drug test applicants and deny indefinite benefits to adults with no dependents. If enacted, some beneficiaries could also be dropped from the program completely. Your government "at work", people.

Federal Food Stamp Benefits To Be Slashed Just In Time For The Holidays: Gothamist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 09:44 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,091 times
Yey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-21-2013, 10:02 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
People will find a way to make due for 9 dollars less.
Maybe the grocery store will offer more sales.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:09 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
People will find a way to make due for 9 dollars less.
Maybe the grocery store will offer more sales.
I'm sure they will and I know stores like Walmart will be very accommodating to the "new" cuts in benefits.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:11 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Yey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You crack me up. You really can't be this mean. I refuse to believe it. Lol

Old 10-21-2013, 10:12 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I'm sure they will and I know stores like Walmart will be very accommodating to the "new" cuts in benefits.
That certainly wont go over very well with the jealous haters who mispell "Yey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Old 10-21-2013, 10:12 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
The Bodegas will just be selling a little less beer.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:15 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
You just have to budget your money (or SNAP benefits) accordingly. Look for sales, use coupons, check unit prices, etc. Don't be wasteful.

A drop of $36 per month ($9 per week) isn't all that much of a drop. It's a matter of budgeting.

Keep in mind, also, that ALL grocery stores have huge sales around the holidays. Canned goods, dry good, etc are all on sale. Stock up on things like soup (I just saw the Progresso soup on sale for 88 cents a can ---- normally $1.79/can), canned veggies, etc.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:28 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
You just have to budget your money (or SNAP benefits) accordingly. Look for sales, use coupons, check unit prices, etc. Don't be wasteful.

A drop of $36 per month ($9 per week) isn't all that much of a drop. It's a matter of budgeting.

Keep in mind, also, that ALL grocery stores have huge sales around the holidays. Canned goods, dry good, etc are all on sale. Stock up on things like soup (I just saw the Progresso soup on sale for 88 cents a can ---- normally $1.79/can), canned veggies, etc.
What are the IQs of SNAP recipients? I wonder. If they are smart and good at budgeting, they should go to Washington and fix the Congress.

On a second thought, NO. They will just vote more SNAP for themselves.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:42 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Food Stamps need to be clamped down on big time. They should be used as an emergency measure for people to get back on their feet, not as a permanent handout crutch to depend on courtesy of the taxpayers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City