Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:13 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,079,693 times

Advertisements

I know utilities have the right to enter your property to work on telephone and other wires on poles in the backyard, but the protocol seems that they have to ask permission or at least let you know they are entering your property. Yesterday I was home and I heard noise in my backyard and there is a guy with a ladder in my backyard. He was wearing jeans and a red t-shirt, nothing that said Verizon but I gathered that is where he was from. I go out and ask him who he is. He snapped at me and said Verizon in an annoyed tone. Apparently my neighbor was getting Internet access. I said he should have knocked on my door and asked before entering my property. He said he did, but I was home and would have heard him knocking. I stayed outside and watched him. He looks down at me and says "do you want to help me hang the wire?" I thought that was very rude so I asked him for his name, which he refused to give me. I then asked for his ID number which he also refused to give me. I thought Verizon and other utility workers had to carry ID and show it upon request. Does anyone know if they have to show ID if asked? It would have been no problem if the guy would just have been friendly and said sorry I missed you or you didn't hear me knocking rather than mouthing off to me about whether I wanted to hang the wire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 07:59 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Verizon often sub-hires to get their work done. But I would presume they would be required to show proper ID.
Why not call Verizon and complain? Perhaps they might avoid hiring this jerk in the future.

Do you have a telephone pole on your property? Were you paid to have it installed?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:07 AM

282 posts, read 575,241 times
I would defintely call Verizon and see if they sent anyone out to do work--I think it's very strange he wouldn't show ID. And why would they have to go through your backyard for your neighbor's cable? Sounds weird all over to me.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Verizon often sub-hires to get their work done. But I would presume they would be required to show proper ID.
Why not call Verizon and complain? Perhaps they might avoid hiring this jerk in the future.

Do you have a telephone pole on your property? Were you paid to have it installed?
I tried calling Verizon but they have the ultimate automated call direction system from hell that doesn't give any choice for a general complaint. The guy did have a Verizon van but it was parked down the block so I couldn't see it from my door. Usually you can tell it's a Verizon repairman because of their work clothes and equipment belt but this guy was dressed in regular jeans and a shirt that didn't say Verizon. I saw him earlier in my neighbor's driveway and I thought he was a friend of the people next door.

The telephone pole is in the yard in back of mine but for whatever reason they seem to like to work on the pole from my side.

What ticks me off is that once I called Verizon when my phone was out of service and later they told me they came but couldn't work on my line because I wasn't home to give them permission to enter the property.

Last edited by martinjsxx; 10-22-2013 at 08:34 AM..

Old 10-22-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox17 View Post
I would defintely call Verizon and see if they sent anyone out to do work--I think it's very strange he wouldn't show ID. And why would they have to go through your backyard for your neighbor's cable? Sounds weird all over to me.
I guess he knew I was asking for ID because I wanted to complain about him. He said he doesn't give out his personal information. Meanwhile I have a stranger in my backyard who refuses to show me his ID. I saw his van down the block later on but as far as I could know he could have been anyone. There is a junction box on the pole facing my yard so I guess he had to connect something there.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:21 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I then asked for his ID number which he also refused to give me. I thought Verizon and other utility workers had to carry ID and show it upon request. Does anyone know if they have to show ID if asked? .
If he was so nasty, I would have started whipping out my camera & started taking pictures of him. That would def make him feel more defensive. If he wanted to take it to the next level, I would call the police. Its your right to ask for ID esp in this age of higher security

Old 10-22-2013, 08:28 AM

483 posts, read 870,105 times
OP - If rude Verizon contractor was in my yard without permission, I would have taken pics and alerted the police ASAP.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
If he was so nasty, I would have started whipping out my camera & started taking pictures of him. That would def make him feel more defensive. If he wanted to take it to the next level, I would call the police. Its your right to ask for ID esp in this age of higher security
That's exactly what I did except for the part about calling the police. After he said he wouldn't give me his ID number I said in that case I'm going to take your picture. I went inside to get my camera and then when I came back he took down the ladder and turned away from me so I couldn't take a picture of his face. I walked behind him to his van and he took out his cell phone and apparently started calling his boss or colleagues at Verizon. Every time I tried to take his picture he turned his back to me, so all I got was pictures of his back. I did take a picture of the license plate on his Verizon van. Since he was now off my property and down the block I left after a few minutes of him giving his back to me everytime I tried to take his picture.

This shouldn't have been an incident at all, if the guy forgot to knock on the door a little politeness would have made it a non-issue. Instead he mouths off to me when I was watching him if I wanted to help him hang the wire.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
^^that is almost comical. I probably would have called the police...then call his boss to make a big stink for kicks. Its pretty strange he won't show his ID.

side note.....those vans have markings all over the vehicle. When I see commercial cars driving recklessly....I personally have called it in to report that. Why start being a jerk when it comes to your livelihood?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:13 AM

916 posts, read 2,246,157 times
It's like an unwritten rule you always give courtesy to the Verizon technicians access to your backyard
when they need to fix something. But they usually have to show their ID and ask for permission first
before they go into people's private property. If he was acting like a jerk while trespassing your property,
you can definitely tell him to GTFO of your backyard.

The Verizon junction box pole is in my neighbor's backyard for our block, The technician or I would always
go knock on their door to ask for permission to access their backyard before going in to fix problems. It's
just a little show of respect of other people's private property, and let them know you are not a burglar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City