Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 02:50 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Jesus Christmas, I'm tired of seeing young poor youths break their backs to buy a pair of air Jordan's, but now a 350 dollar designer belt? Not even an average Joe will buy that!
And what about the jeans they wear? Could easily drop $500 for one pair.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:50 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
And how many hours was that after taxes?

Were your parents footing the tuition? The food, the room, the books?
Heck, I don't remember or really care.

My tuition and room was paid for, but not my books.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:55 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Because there is a reporting scam going on here.
As I have said from the get-go we are getting false information that does not add up.

A kid working part time while trying to get though college is NOT working part time to get a belt at 500 times the normal cost of something to hold up his pants.

I am smart enough to trust that when I read something STUPID it is probably STUPID.

RICH kids buy silly overpriced frills. Poor kids do not becasue there is too much they know they will have to forego.

For those with problems with reality, let's try hyperbole: Why do no poor kids scrimp and save to buy a Picasso or a Maserati?
How do we know the kids is even poor? Who said he was poor?

Is it because he is black? Well, I am black and bought even more expensive stuff working part-time in college.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:56 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
A black cashier at Brooklyn Ikea asked me for me for ID when I was purchasing there the other day. Das racist.

Did they call the cops? Were you cuffed, brought in, questioned, and treated like a criminal even after showing the proper identification?

Old 10-23-2013, 02:58 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
So would I.

If NYPD has the same type of equipment as OTHER POLICE departments in checking to see if a state issued ID or license is valid, then taking him in was completely unnecessary.

I'm really more interested in why the Barneys salesperson who sold him the $300 belt sicked the cops on him after making a decent commission on the item. Something like that is very, very rare, especially when you should be procuring other customers for sales.
I work for a bank. I started out as a teller and worked in the branches for 10 years. We ALWAYS had on hand a guide of state identifications. It's called I.D. Checking Guide. We ordered it through our supply vendor. It lists all 50 states, territories, Canada and several other foreign ID's. Updated reference guides came out I believe annually. If we didn't know what an Alaska license looked like, we referred the guide. There's no excuse for retailers not to have one. The guide even tells you how to know if it's fake.

Why wasn't the barcode scanned?

If the clerk felt uncomfortable they should have called their supervisor and make up an excuse or even say something like, "Your ID looks different for a NYS ID. Would you mind if my supervisor took a look at it." Either way the clerk lost the commission. Good for him that he returned it.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:00 PM

364 posts, read 708,494 times
When I shop, I usually give the cashier my ID along with the credit card. I probably don't have to but I just don't like to be asked.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:05 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianNYC92 View Post
When I shop, I usually give the cashier my ID along with the credit card. I probably don't have to but I just don't like to be asked.
Yep, I do too. Sometimes they ask, sometimes they don't. Depends on the store. Some ask for ID if the sale is over a certain amount or if the signature is faded. And I'm ok with that because there's a lot of fraud and identity theft but this was just uncalled for.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:19 PM

364 posts, read 708,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Yep, I do too. Sometimes they ask, sometimes they don't. Depends on the store. Some ask for ID if the sale is over a certain amount or if the signature is faded. And I'm ok with that because there's a lot of fraud and identity theft but this was just uncalled for.
I agree. What they did to the kid wasn't right. Especially if they had already verified his ID and debit card. I want to know, what triggered the "arrest"?

Old 10-23-2013, 03:23 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianNYC92 View Post
I agree. What they did to the kid wasn't right. Especially if they had already verified his ID and debit card. I want to know, what triggered the "arrest"?
Young black male in an upper crust store in Manhattan having the NERVE to purchase an expensive high end item like he can actually AFFORD it.

Like seriously, how DARE he??

^ ^ Said by snobby racist salesperson and equally racist NYPD officers who arrested him.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:23 PM

268 posts, read 480,995 times
The Bronx isn't bad anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City