Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 10:38 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,089 times

Advertisements

How things have changed in the past 23 years since I have worked in a McDonalds. I remember when working at McDonalds was considered a way to build character, work ethic, people skills, which inculded customer service & sales. At the time minimum wage was $3.35 an hour & we started with $3.65 ph & got small raises every 6 months or so. The job was meant for HS kids, which is what I was. The Adults working were ownership, middle management, entry level management, crew chiefs or elderly people that just wanted somthing to do a few days a week.

I don't eat fast food much at all anymore. The last couple of times I went in to a Wendy's over the past year or so the people working the counter are older than I am now & have no idea what customer service is.

When my16 yo cousin was complaining he couldn't find a job I told him to go to McDonalds or Wendy's. His 21 yo sister told me flat out that working fast food isn't a job for white people, that it's ghetto to be working at a place like that, & working in a fast food joint is for & I quote uneducated Ghetto trash that droped out of school & aren't educated or qualified enough to do anything else. I was kind of shocked. But at same time I reliazed she was right.

These are the only jobs that a lot of people can get. & it covers maybe 20% of what they need to live on. The state's & the federal government are covering everything else. I guess we should be happy that these people have the drive to work at all & aren't jacking people up. I just wish they would stop having kids thinking they are the key to a bigger welfare check & bigger section 8 housing.

By the way, I remember an entry level manager starting made $25,000 a year. This was back in 1989-90. So $32,000 a year is a joke. When you take into account inflation it works out to be less than $25,000 a year in 1989-90 dollars. That's a real prolbem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 11:20 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
I think the bigger questions are: Why is McDonalds keeping people on low wages for so long? It's really not solely the employees fault. Where is the oversight to keep these kinds of things from happening? I feel McDonalds should be a little more hands on with their employees.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:34 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I think the bigger questions are: Why is McDonalds keeping people on low wages for so long? It's really not solely the employees fault. Where is the oversight to keep these kinds of things from happening? I feel McDonalds should be a little more hands on with their employees.
I had worked for McDonalds when I was either 16 or 17 (don't remember) and I remember the "raise" would consist of a nickel, dime and a quarter being the highest. This was a long time ago, it could be different now. I only worked there for a year or less.

But I remember reading an article about a guy who worked for McDonalds in Chicago. He worked at two McDonalds, so that he could afford his weekly SRO rental. He said that McDonalds had "transferred" him to various stores around the city which resulted in him never getting the raise he deserved. The problem is that when they transfer you to another location, your wages go back to minimum wage, even if you did get a raise. It's legal too.

I felt bad for him, because you knew he was an ex-felon and drug addict that couldn't get jobs doing anything else. It really was a struggle for him to pay his rent, but luckily for him, his landlady liked him and would give him a chance to get the money up.

Here's the article on him and others like him from last year:

McDonald

Old 10-26-2013, 11:37 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I just wish they would stop having kids thinking they are the key to a bigger welfare check & bigger section 8 housing.
Welfare all across America stopped giving extra money for people who have numerous kids on the dole a long time ago.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:15 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,064,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Because, like walmart workers, they dont deserve more than minimum wage. When are people here going to get it in their heads that unskilled labor doesnt deserve to be paid much. Want good money, get some training in a skill. Whats so hard to understand that?

Old 10-27-2013, 08:50 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Because, like walmart workers, they dont deserve more than minimum wage. When are people here going to get it in their heads that unskilled labor doesnt deserve to be paid much. Want good money, get some training in a skill. Whats so hard to understand that?
Truth is we could probably just put a bunch of touch screen computers at every fast food restaurant for ordering purposes and it would be alot more efficient. Orders would be more accurate as well ... well provided the workers in the kitchen can read it.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:00 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Opportunities for good higher education grow more scarce by the day. I find it shocking and a bit unbelievable. I am an academic and therefore see this, not sure how many people realize just how elitist a proposition higher education has become.

People do not have a chance without tutoring and advice, which is also scarce. So much wasted talent.
If 100% of the population goes to college, we would just have a lot of college educated cashiers.

If you have good grades and test scores and you keep applying to different programs/schools, you'll get into a place. Its going to take work and time, but you'll get there.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:12 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Truth is we could probably just put a bunch of touch screen computers at every fast food restaurant for ordering purposes and it would be alot more efficient. Orders would be more accurate as well ... well provided the workers in the kitchen can read it.
From what I've read this is already done in Europe, where McDonald's pays better and pays benefits. They could do that here, but if they are made to pay more they will reduce the labor force and it will be much harder to get a McDonald's job.

For that matter, with fewer workers, they could then demand higher skill levels from them (particularly if they were paying more money). So reading orders wouldn't be a problem.

So it is better to have more McDonald workers and pay them at the market rate (minimum wage) or less McDonalds workers who are paid better and have more skills (the food prices might be higher as well).

Being that McDonald's is already higher than meals at cheap diners or ethnic food places, the public would shift at least some of its money elsewhere as well. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, maybe more people would lose weight. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: