Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 06:17 PM

7,855 posts, read 7,745,751 times

Advertisements

McDonald's workers should have no problem qualifying for government programs like food stamps and heating assistance.

The hamburger chain pretty much admits that in a call made by a worker to "McResources"-- a helpline set up for its workers.
The advocacy group Low Pay is not Ok recorded a phone call made to the helpline by one McDonald's worker Nancy Salgado. The group circulated an edited video of the recording. CNNMoney reviewed the full recording of the call.
Salgado, who has worked at a Chicago McDonald's for 10 years and makes $8.25 an hour, asked the McResources representative a number of questions related to getting assistance to pay for her heating bill, her groceries and her sister's medical expenses. Salgado told the representative that she was recording the call for her sister.
The helpline operator never asked Salgado how much she made per hour, and how many hours per week she worked beyond the fact that she was a full-time employee. But she said that Salgado "definitely should be able to qualify for both food stamps and heating assistance."
The representative then pointed her toward a number of resources in Chicago, such as food pantries and a program that would help cover some of her heating bill. She said she would email her specific phone numbers and programs.

The operator also explained that the McResources Line is available to help McDonald's workers who need help navigating the process of getting public assistance. The helpline's phone number is posted in fliers at many McDonald's locations.
But the line is not open to all McDonald's workers. Franchise owners need to pay for the service in order for their employees to use it.
Salgado's franchise owner in Chicago, for example, had not paid for the service. The operator said that none of the Chicago franchises had.
"We can be a good program," the operator said. "We can do a lot of the leg work that takes a lot of the stresses off of you making a million phone calls trying to find services."
News of the McResources Line comes a week after a report found that more than half of fast food workers have to rely on public assistance programs since their wages aren't enough to support them.
The report estimated that this public aid carries a $7 billion price tag for taxpayers each year.
A separate report by the National Employment Law Project released on the same day showed that McDonald's alone was responsible for $1.2 billion of that $7 billion alone.
The recorded phone call supports what the reports found and also the claims of hundreds of fast food workers that their pay is too low, they don't get scheduled for enough hours and they get no benefits. Since last November, workers have organized protests around the country, including New York City, Los Angeles, Memphis and Detroit calling for a minimum wage of $15 an hour and the right to organize without retaliation.
Earlier this year, McDonald's came under fire for releasing a budget planning guide for its employees. The sample budget it provided didn't account for either food or gasoline, a big expense for low income workers. The budget also left room for an income from a second job, which many called an admission by the fast food giant that its workers can't live on wages from one job at McDonald's.
McDonald's did not return a request for comment.

McDonald's helps workers get food stamps - Oct. 23, 2013
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 06:24 PM

111 posts, read 144,146 times
Lends a new meaning to the term corporate welfare...

Old 10-23-2013, 06:33 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,286,383 times
With food costs so high now, why not let Mickey D workers eat for free every day? It would help make up for their slave wages. Make the clown pay for its workers not the general public.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:36 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,970,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Supernatural View Post
Lends a new meaning to the term corporate welfare...
Exactly.And this is nothing new.Walmart's and other giant retailers all over the country encourage and help their employees apply for food stamps and get on section 8.

When are Americans going to wake up about all this corporate welfare ?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3365814.html

"Walmart wages are so low that many of its workers rely on food stamps and other government aid programs to fulfill their basic needs, a reality that could cost taxpayers as much as $900,000 at just one Walmart Supercenter in Wisconsin, according to a study "

"The labor policies of Walmart, and those of companies that emulate its low-road approach, end up leaving taxpayers holding the bag," Miller said in a statement."

Old 10-23-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Exactly.And this is nothing new.Walmart's and other giant retailers all over the country encourage and help their employees apply for food stamps and get on section 8.

When are Americans going to wake up about all this corporate welfare ?

One Walmart's Low Wages Could Cost Taxpayers $900,000 Per Year, House Dems Find

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55123115,d.eW0
Bdog, all the American sheeple care about is how cheap they can get stuff. So they can go home and be enlightened by Dancing with the Stars and Fox news...

Old 10-23-2013, 07:47 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,982,987 times
Freaking bums!!!

Using up my damn dollars to feed their families!!

Country is going to hell in a handbasket, I tell ya. *shakes head in disgust*

Old 10-23-2013, 07:53 PM

33,363 posts, read 46,784,531 times
You are not going to be a homeowner working at McDonalds.....unless you're a regional manager or something.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-23-2013, 08:19 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,061,700 times
Fast food jobs are not intended to support a family unless you are a manager or some sort of corporate level worker. It is intended for high school students, college students, and 20/30 somethings.

BTW: I have a friend who is an assistant manager at a local McDonald's and he makes 32k/year + health/dental/vision insurance - I would say that is pretty damn good for a 25 year old considering most of my friends are stuck working part time jobs without any health benefits - like myself.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:30 PM

33,363 posts, read 46,784,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Fast food jobs are not intended to support a family unless you are a manager or some sort of corporate level worker. It is intended for high school students, college students, and 20/30 somethings.

BTW: I have a friend who is an assistant manager at a local McDonald's and he makes 32k/year + health/dental/vision insurance - I would say that is pretty damn good for a 25 year old considering most of my friends are stuck working part time jobs without any health benefits - like myself.
That's twice as fantastic if he still lives at home.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-23-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

32K and all the Big Macs he can eat...I`d say he livin large in NYC...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: