Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 08:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I smell class action civil lawsuits against the city of ny, nypd and barney's retail. Where is that lawyer rubinstein?
You've a good sense of smell. Ah, Bloomberg's police state is coming undone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 08:36 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Gotta be honest, I don't really see the big deal in this one.

She bought an insanely expensive item with a "temporary" debit card with no name on it. She was stopped and questioned, and when she produced her new debit card, which had a name that matched her license, the cops let her go.

The other incident, with the kid who was able to produce identification with a name matching the debit card he used, and the cops basically said, "Nope, that's a fake ID, sorry" and arrested him anyway, is a whole different matter.

Yeah, but she used it as a DEBIT CARD meaning she did NOT have to produce ID once she put the pin number in.

The cops also waited until after BOTH of them got to the subway to accost them.

There is a "problem" and I can't wait for many other black youths to come out.

Barneys seems to have a problem with blacks (who don't fit a certain look) in their store. The salespeople in the Beverly Hills store treated Whiz Khalifa was treated like a thief and basically ignored after he dropped $16000 shopping with them, except he didn't return the stuff he purchased:

Wiz Khalifa Treated Like Thief At Barneys | The Urban Daily

Quote:
Wiz Khalifa was treated like a thief after purchasing over $16,000 in shoes for girlfriend Amber Rose at a Barney’s in Beverly Hills. A store clerk who observed the biased service said “After his spending spree on the shoes, Wiz went up to the ultra expensive men’s department floor, but instead of rolling out the red carpet for him they refused to help the poor guy! Not only did they fail to recognize him they actually thought that that he was a thief and treated him like one! It was only when somebody pointed out to them who the guy actually was that they back-tracked somewhat.”

Barneys hates Black people. (*said in Kanye voice*)

Old 10-24-2013, 08:45 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Yeah, but she used it as a DEBIT CARD meaning she did NOT have to produce ID once she put the pin number in.
I've never used a temporary card, but with my regular debit card, I can just tell the clerk its a credit card and it bypasses the pin, you only have to sign.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:50 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Quote:

Barneys seems to have a problem with blacks (who don't fit a certain look) in their store. The salespeople in the Beverly Hills store treated Whiz Khalifa was treated like a thief and basically ignored after he dropped $16000 shopping with them, except he didn't return the stuff he purchased:

I can't believe that purple dinosaur can be so racist! He's PURPLE, for Pete's sake!

Old 10-24-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I can't believe that purple dinosaur can be so racist! He's PURPLE, for Pete's sake!
Lol!!

Old 10-24-2013, 09:33 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:

Marilyn, some banks have maximum debit purchase amounts. If her card allowed the $2500 transaction with the use of a pin number then I agree, she didn't need to produce ID unless the store requires ID on certain dollar amounts. I get asked for ID sometimes and I don't mind because I've been victim of identity theft twice (some stores ask for ID on a $50 purchase). My problem is when they ask for ID, accept it, process the sale and then BAM, call police and have people arrested. The store could have simply declined the card because there was no name on it and that would be completely acceptable considering the amount of the sale. Lots of places do that just like not accepting starter checks with no name printed. They also could have called the bank just to verify that the debit card did in fact belong to her. Would have taken 5 minutes to ask her to step aside while they call the bank's customer service but instead they went this route.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:33 AM

Can someone explain what the TWO LINES OF TAX are for??

I've never seen this on a regular receipt. Are luxury items subjected to extra tax?

It's a cute bag, but at 20 something years of age working at Target, it really is something a Sugar Daddy should be purchasing.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:39 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:

I've never seen this on a regular receipt. Are luxury items subjected to extra tax?

It's a cute bag, but at 20 something years of age working at Target, it really is something a Sugar Daddy should be purchasing.

Some stores break down the tax
Clothing and footwear under $110 are exempt from New York City and NY State Sales Tax. Purchases above $110 are subject to a 4.5% NYC Sales Tax and a 4% NY State Sales Tax.

That's the bag? Yeah, it's really cute but I don't see why it's so expensive.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:40 AM

364 posts, read 708,415 times
Quote:

The sales tax in NYC is 8.875% so the rate is fine. But I'm not sure why it's broken down into two.

EDIT: Is it a suede bag? I don't know much about women's handbag but what's so special about this Celine bag? I don't even see the brand name.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:

That's the bag? Yeah, it's really cute but I don't see why it's so
expensive.
They throw in the travertine base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City