Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 08:26 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times

Advertisements

last nite i got a knock on my door for the super to install a wireless thermostat control in my wall. he said all the apartments on the top floor needed one. he said since our boiler was replaced this wireless control was needed

i noticed the temp in the apartment was cold for the past few nights. i assumed that the outdoor temp was not below 40 (between 10PM and 6AM) for most of the week which is why the heat didn't come on. but this AM the heat did come on about 5AM not sure if that was because it was less than 40 outside or the new wireless control helped bring the heat up

any experience about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 08:33 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
You are extremely lucky because the apartment with the thermostat is always comfortable.

Trouble is that when you put it on the top floor, the lower floors are usually overheated.

Incidentally, we just gout our boiler replaced...the reason is that the City mandated all systems using #6 oil (heavy and dirty) must replace their boilers to burn #2 oil or natural gas.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:36 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Sounds like they installed an Energy Management System in your building, EMS

Old 10-28-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
You are extremely lucky because the apartment with the thermostat is always comfortable.

Trouble is that when you put it on the top floor, the lower floors are usually overheated.

Incidentally, we just gout our boiler replaced...the reason is that the City mandated all systems using #6 oil (heavy and dirty) must replace their boilers to burn #2 oil or natural gas.
Ideally the sensors are supposed to be spread out throughout the building

Old 10-28-2013, 08:40 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Ideally the sensors are supposed to be spread out throughout the building
This is the first I've heard of the system but I sure hope my building gets it. My alternative is to start running the AC all Winter.

How does it work?

Old 10-28-2013, 08:46 AM

Ehh it's kind of complicated to explain but the idea is to prevent overheating and get a better balance throughout the system by monitoring the temperature in the apartments to get a better idea of what is going on, instead of just shooting the heat up and hoping for the best. Over time if you tinker with it and gradually drop the temperatures (but still maintain a comfortable level) you can get energy and cost savings. But most owners are dumb they install these things and drop the temperatures in the apartments like 10-15 degrees overnight. You can't do that to people. Tenants complain and owners give up on really using and making the proper adjustments so they never see the savings.

P.S. Owners also like it because it keeps a log of the heat they are providing. So if they get taken to court or get a summons they have documents showing that they are providing the temperature to the apartments they are legally required to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City