Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 02:34 PM

86 posts, read 126,374 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

New member here from Louisville, KY. I'm a 20 year old with big dreams of moving to NYC once I get my degree in a few more years. I've done a lot of research and it seems like the jobs are very competitive and obviously the prices are higher than most. I've read post after post about people saying living in Manhattan is impossible unless you make 6 figures, and then some who say they've done it on 30k. I have visited numerous times and definitely can tell how much higher general things cost. I read that rent x 40 is a good starting point, and I've seen some studios in parts of Manhattan such as Chelsea in the 1100-1250 range, which leads me to believe that 50k-ish is a good starting point. I would never cancel out a place like Brooklyn, but like most, my dream is Manhattan. In a few years I will have my Bachelors in Communications, and after doing some random NYC job searches, I've seen some that desire a B.A. in Communications but pay in the 40k-60k range. So, my question is, with the credentials I will have in the future, is it a realistic plan to make that kind of money and live in Manhattan?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 02:45 PM

257 posts, read 685,004 times
No studios in Chelsea in the 1100-1250 range. In fact nowhere below 96th street you'll find rents like that

Old 10-28-2013, 02:48 PM

542 posts, read 1,684,030 times
Studios in Chelsea start at $3,000 per month. Your best bet is to find a roommate - you can expect to pay about $2,000 - $2,500 to live with a roommate in a 2br in Chelsea. If you're looking for something cheaper, look at Jackson Heights in Queens - you can find studios starting at $1,500 per month...takes about 40 minutes to get into Manhattan.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha7 View Post
No studios in Chelsea in the 1100-1250 range. In fact nowhere below 96th street you'll find rents like that
Really? I looked on this website I read on another forum called nakedapartments.com and searched Manhattan apartments and came up with some small studios in that price range. Is there some kind of catch to those or something? I read that a few were for full time students only.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:50 PM

268 posts, read 481,033 times
You may be able to find a studio in Chelsea for 1100-1250 range if you're willing to be some guy's boy toy..

Old 10-28-2013, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,241 times
Studios in Chelsea range from $2,200 - $3,000. You can do it if you get your degree and some experience before moving here. If you are smart and work hard, you should be able to get a job here making enough money to live and enjoy NYC. Good luck!

Old 10-28-2013, 02:51 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostellic View Post
Really? I looked on this website I read on another forum called nakedapartments.com and searched Manhattan apartments and came up with some small studios in that price range. Is there some kind of catch to those or something? I read that a few were for full time students only.

Sounds like a catch/ bait and switch. That's a more realistic price if you have roommates.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:53 PM

542 posts, read 1,684,030 times
Quote:
Trust us - there are no apartments available in Chelsea in that price range...if there were, people would stampede to get it. Most likely what you've seen does not exist - brokers like to do the "bait and switch" where they list apartments that are too good to be true and when you call, they tell you the apartment is no longer available and try to sell you on a much higher priced apartment.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:53 PM

257 posts, read 685,004 times
Quote:
Probably scams of some sort. No such thing as 1200 studio. Nothing under 2K. You can maybe find something on 1st or 2nd av on UES for $1900. And I am talking 5th floor walkup railroad with tiny kitchen right in your living room. I lived in places like that in mid 90s and even then rents were $1500-1800 for those kind of places

Old 10-28-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Sounds like a catch/ bait and switch. That's a more realistic price if you have roommates.
Makes sense. I had a feeling it was too good to be true. That's why I said I'd never cancel out a place like Brooklyn..I wouldn't rule our roommates either.

Here's an example of what I came across.

studio rental at W 31st St, Chelsea, posted by James Pyecha on 10/12/2013 | Naked Apartments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City