Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 07:29 AM

257 posts, read 682,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintercel091 View Post
I hear that in brighton beach there is a lot of anti semitism tension between jewish russians and ethnic russian and Ukrainian immigrants.
You heard wrong. OP! Whats your agenda here? All your posts about Ethnic Russians VS Russian Jews. Sorry to inform You but there is no tension there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 07:36 AM

260 posts, read 430,902 times
Quote:
I thought nowadays that most of the russian speaking people that live in brighton beach are ethnic Russians and Ukrainians that moved to the area after the collaspe of the Soviet Union?
Yes, they flowed into the area for many years, but the wave has slowed down it seems. Some of the ones who have been here for fifteen years or more are beginning to leave. There are still Russians and Ukrainians moving into the area, but not anything like the 90s.

A lot of the new arrivals are coming from other former Soviet countries, mainly Uzbekistan. There has also been a noticeable increase of Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, and Mexicans in the area further from the beach.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:07 AM

900 posts, read 2,365,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blainnyc View Post
Yes, they flowed into the area for many years, but the wave has slowed down it seems. Some of the ones who have been here for fifteen years or more are beginning to leave. There are still Russians and Ukrainians moving into the area, but not anything like the 90s.

A lot of the new arrivals are coming from other former Soviet countries, mainly Uzbekistan. There has also been a noticeable increase of Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, and Mexicans in the area further from the beach.
They are moving where? Back to Russia? Other parts of the country or NYC? Where?

They can't leave! I'm just discovering Ukrainians.. I'm loving me some Ukrainian about now.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:17 AM

260 posts, read 430,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
They are moving where? Back to Russia? Other parts of the country or NYC? Where?

They can't leave! I'm just discovering Ukrainians.. I'm loving me some Ukrainian about now.
No, they're mostly just moving to other parts of the city or to the burbs. I don't think Brighton is really a direct destination for new arrivals from Russia like it was in 90s. Many have spread out to Sheepshead Bay, Bensonhurst, Midwood, etc.

I live in Sheepshead Bay and there are plenty of Russians and Ukrainians. Condo developments that were built over the past decade here seem to be at least 50% Russian/Ukrainian. We also have a growing Georgian population.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:08 AM

17,876 posts, read 15,769,526 times
There was actually going to be a reality TV series staged in Brighton Beach, I think called Russian Dolls or something.

The discussion changed to whether Brighton Beach, and the stars of the show were russian orthodox or russian jewish. We could not decide, so that same afternoon I decided to take a short road trip to Brighton Beach and see for myself, and plus I was hungry.

I started up a few convos with people, and brought up the question. I got mixed responses. A lot of the responses were hostile. I guess that is what you get when you ask questions like that

Then I found a shop keeper who I know will not be hostile because he clearly is not of caucasian descent so he should not care. He says the area is primarily jewish, and most of the russian only speakers you hear are jewish as well. But who knows who is telling the truth.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:52 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,829,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But who knows who is telling the truth.
First of all, do not believe a reality TV series like Russian Dolls and you won't go wrong.
Otherwise, you will have a false idea about "russian" community with full set of false stereotypes, biased prejudices and unhealthy fantasies. All personages of the series are way far away from a typical russian speaking brighton beach dweller. These personages were selected very specifically to the scenario, not randomly. And those TV "reality series" have nothing to do with a reality. Really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The discussion changed to whether Brighton Beach, and the stars of the show were russian orthodox or russian jewish..
They were russian jewish from Ukraine.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:14 AM

39 posts, read 86,456 times
Is brighton beach referred as still little Odessa for its russian jewish population or is now dubbed little russia for it's now large recent ethnic russian community?

Old 11-21-2013, 12:15 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,829,903 times
Quote:
Is brighton beach referred as still little Odessa for its russian jewish population or is now dubbed little russia for it's now large recent ethnic russian community?
Have you read previous posts in this thread?

Old 11-21-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
Have you read previous posts in this thread?
I am having difficulty in understanding this. Can anyone please explain it in a easier because I have comprehension misunderstanding sometimes

Old 11-25-2013, 01:07 PM

Are there any russian orthodox people living in brighton beach despite the neighborhood being a jewish russian community?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: