Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times

Advertisements

I bought a big beautiful 20 cu foot fridge on a Super sale for $600 in the rent controlled joint. Six months later I moved to a brand new "luxury" apartment. With a 14 footer.
I asked if I could bring my new fridge and they said SURE, but repairs and replacement were on me.
Bittlerly I sold the 6 month old fridge for $275 and accepted the landlord's GE. At least I didn't have to drag the thing down 3 flights and across town.

Well whooda thought I'd be there 22 years and burn through 4 refrigerators which they dutifully replaced with new ones. So I made the right choice.
And when I moved into the co-op they gave me another brand new one.

I guess all things considered it's better to have the fridges, stoves, washing machines attached to the apartment rather than having to haul them from one to the other even if what you get is rarely top of the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 03:45 PM

478 posts, read 773,210 times
I've had the same fridge for all 25 years of living in my apt, and it wasn't even new when I moved in!
Still works, though it's a chore to keep defrosting. Rather use it til it dies, than having to pay an increased rent.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:07 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
You need to read the whole law.

The landlord is not required to provide HEAT, only to provide an inside temperature of 68 degrees.

What temperature is your apartment.?
He certainly is not required to provide enough heat to warrant your opening your windows.
Is this the same landlord who put the sensor for the EMS in his apartment. Knowing how most landlords/management act they probably dropped the temp by a large amount from one day to the next after installing the sensor. Instead of gradually reducing it and allowing the tenant to get acclimated.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:31 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Is this the same landlord who put the sensor for the EMS in his apartment. Knowing how most landlords/management act they probably dropped the temp by a large amount from one day to the next after installing the sensor. Instead of gradually reducing it and allowing the tenant to get acclimated.

like the backflow thing the city requred all buildings to have, once we got that installed the water pressure in my bathroom has been terrible. The LL claims I have water saving faucets ( I bought new ones about a year ago), my shower pressure is awful, LL claims nothing was touched. It was fine until the backflow thing thing was done????/

Everything the city requires a building to get something, it is never right again, same with new lights in the hallways installed for emergency reasons, now one light per floor goes off because of a sensor, WTF....

Old 11-07-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
like the backflow thing the city requred all buildings to have, once we got that installed the water pressure in my bathroom has been terrible. The LL claims I have water saving faucets ( I bought new ones about a year ago), my shower pressure is awful, LL claims nothing was touched. It was fine until the backflow thing thing was done????/

Everything the city requires a building to get something, it is never right again, same with new lights in the hallways installed for emergency reasons, now one light per floor goes off because of a sensor, WTF....
Some amount of light in the hallway is always supposed to be on on by code. In fact even further depending on size of building there are supposed to be emergency lights that stay on even in a power failure. I don't know what you mean by a sensor. Do you mean a motion sensor? If so unless it's a really long hallway that doesn't get used for a large portion of day I don't see why there would be a need for a motion sensor. Those kind of motion sensors are usually put in stairways of buildings that have elevators and hence people rarely use the stairway.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:

That's a different poster, NooYowkur.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That's a different poster, NooYowkur.
I was responding to rlrl's comment on this thread and it was in reference to this previous thread that he posted...

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...l#post31990227

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 11-07-2013 at 09:55 AM..

Old 11-07-2013, 07:31 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Some amount of light in the hallway is always supposed to be on on by code. In fact even further depending on size of building there are supposed to be emergency lights that stay on even in a power failure. I don't know what you mean by a sensor. Do you mean a motion sensor? If so unless it's a really long hallway that doesn't get used for a large portion of day I don't see why there would be a need for a motion sensor. Those kind of motion sensors are usually put in stairways of buildings that have elevators and hence people rarely use the stairway.

we have 2 lights per floor, they changed one to a newer one with a red light on the side so in case black outs the lights will stay on, something to that effect, but now the other light, the old ones on each floor are off.

none of it makes sense...

the super even replaced a light near my door, and then the next night it went off and has been off ever since, like 2 weeks now.
meanwhile the other side of the hall has the light and that is where the window is, my side, the dark side needs the light. ugh.

Im keeping my mouth shut on this, let someone else take the inniative for a change.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
we have 2 lights per floor, they changed one to a newer one with a red light on the side so in case black outs the lights will stay on, something to that effect, but now the other light, the old ones on each floor are off.

none of it makes sense...

the super even replaced a light near my door, and then the next night it went off and has been off ever since, like 2 weeks now.
meanwhile the other side of the hall has the light and that is where the window is, my side, the dark side needs the light. ugh.

Im keeping my mouth shut on this, let someone else take the inniative for a change.
That's some kind of electrical issue. Something ain't right. An electrician who knows what they are doing needs to fix it.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:

the other side of the hall has the light and that is where the window is
You have a hall with a WINDOW??? Here do you live, VERSAILLES? I haven't had a hall with a window since 1987.

Yah, I agree. Supers should keep their hands off electricity because they rarely have Clue ONE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: