Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 09:10 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I wouldn't recommend Woodlawn or really Riverdale either because of commutes. Also, Woodlawn's housing stock is primarily older buildings with houses here and there -- not really much different from other aforementioned areas but has maybe a higher Irish population. It has ZERO walkability and lacks many shopping options. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice area to live in and has green space. But the lack of shopping/retail, commute, lack of true walkability, and other conveniences discouraged me from purchasing in the area. Riverdale is bucolic, but again the commute time isn't optimal and unless you live next to the major streets, there isn't much walkability. Metro-North, while nice, is more expensive than the subway and the #1 is not nearby. Again, one reason why I didn't buy there. Also, as far as price goes, OP would get a better deal in other Bronx nabes besides Riverdale. At 225,000, you'd probably get a Jr. 4. He would be better served by having at least a 2/1.

Pelham Parkway offers pretty much everything he could ask for in terms of price, quality of life, commute time, amenities, green space and price. IMHO.
Homeowners in Woodlawn and in Riverdale generally DRIVE. Even in nearby Wakefield (the next neighborhood over to Woodlawn) long term residents with good jobs drive. The North Bronx is practically in Westchester and you get around much faster by car to other parts of the metro area than you do with subway. Had I stayed in Wakefield long term, I would have had to get a car, no doubt. By car its 20 minutes or so to Midtown, by the 2 train its an hour.

As for Woodlawn, depending on where you live you've got either the walks or the bus to the train adding on time. It is a pretty neighborhood and one of the best in the Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 10:07 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
Wow since when is a 1 hour commute considered "quick"???? If you can go 1 hour commuting and consider it quick, you should have no trouble finding the right place for you. 1 hour to me would be hell....a quick commute in my opinion is 30 mins or less.

In which case, you should consider all parts in North Bronx cuz they are all basically around 1 hour or less from Midtown.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:07 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
Woodlawn is worth your time, longer commute, but MUCH higher quality of life. Riverdale too.
The OP seemed specific about a CONDO in the $225,000 range with maintenance of around $700/mo.Woodlawn has no condos at all that I am aware of,though it does have 5 or 6 Co Op buildings.
Riverdale does have some condo buildings but none are anywhere near $225,000 ,even for a 1 br, or have monthlies in the $700 range.There are lots of co ops in Riverdale in the specified price range but I think the maintenances on almost all 2 br co ops in Riverdale are at least $900/mo to 1,100.

Hopefully the OP realizes the differences between co op maintenances,which include property taxes,and condo maintenances,which do not.

The "quality of life" point is quite debatable.Pelham Parkway is the 49th precinct,which has had the lowest crime rate in The Bronx and one of the lower crime rates in the city for 2 or 3 years now.It was also just listed by NYC as the cleanest area in the whole city.Also,I had no problem passing on both Riverdale and Woodlawn, though I could have a afforded either quite easily,because to me "quality of life" means being 2 blocks from the subway and being able to walk to the supermarket and other amenities.

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-31-2013 at 10:26 AM..

Old 10-31-2013, 10:11 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
Pelham is not a bad option either, and now with a superstar Golf Course not too far away, makes it even better. But Woodlawn is safer. McClean Ave (border of Yonkers) has good shopping.
I'd agree, Woodlawn is a nice area. For the OP, however, I think his needs are better served buying in the Pelham Parkway area. McClean Avenue is not as convenient as White Plains Road. I think safety wise, Pelham and Woodlawn are both good bets. The one thing that might subtract points from Pelham is the housing project but that's down the way and not that close to the area I've described. Both areas you can't really go wrong, but of course I'll give the nod to my old area bc I loved it

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Woodlawn looks like a walkable neighborhood to me. Pleasant residential streets with an active commercial street (Katonah Ave.) running through the middle of the neighborhood. Looks like a shlep to the subway though.
Katonah has commercial, but overall, the retail selection along White Plains Road has just about everything on his list. You'd lack for nothing. More importantly, it is far closer to public transportation and offers three different commuting options. At the same time, the area still has a residential feel with tree lined streets and a park right across the street. You have the Botanical Garden and Bronx Zoo at your doorstep, both of which are among the top Bronx attractions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Homeowners in Woodlawn and in Riverdale generally DRIVE. Even in nearby Wakefield (the next neighborhood over to Woodlawn) long term residents with good jobs drive. The North Bronx is practically in Westchester and you get around much faster by car to other parts of the metro area than you do with subway. Had I stayed in Wakefield long term, I would have had to get a car, no doubt. By car its 20 minutes or so to Midtown, by the 2 train its an hour.

As for Woodlawn, depending on where you live you've got either the walks or the bus to the train adding on time. It is a pretty neighborhood and one of the best in the Bronx.
That's the reason why I nominated Pelham, because you have the option of not having to use a car for much of anything. Unfortunately, when it comes to the Bronx, many neighborhoods near the train aren't that great, but Pelham (and Kingsbridge) can be classified as exceptions. Also, he has kids, so he'd definitely appreciate close proximity to Bronx Zoo and the Garden, as well as the free Bronx Park. Like I said, he can't go wrong with either neighborhood

Old 10-31-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:

That's the reason why I nominated Pelham, because you have the option of not having to use a car for much of anything. Unfortunately, when it comes to the Bronx, many neighborhoods near the train aren't that great, but Pelham (and Kingsbridge) can be classified as exceptions. Also, he has kids, so he'd definitely appreciate close proximity to Bronx Zoo and the Garden, as well as the free Bronx Park. Like I said, he can't go wrong with either neighborhood
There are some crappy Section 8 buildings very close by, in the Pelham Parkway area on the 2 train. Its not that nice. Woodlawn is a lot nicer, but as noted, you'd have to drive.

With the co ops around Pelham, you can have a block or two of co ops and the next block over can be Section 8 land. Definitely not that good, and White Plains Road at that point is not that good. Woodlawn and Riverdale both are a lot nicer.

Oh, and the Bronx Zoo would get played out if you lived next to it. You don't live close to an area just because a zoo is there!

Old 10-31-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
There are some crappy Section 8 buildings very close by, in the Pelham Parkway area on the 2 train. Its not that nice. Woodlawn is a lot nicer, but as noted, you'd have to drive.

With the co ops around Pelham, you can have a block or two of co ops and the next block over can be Section 8 land. Definitely not that good, and White Plains Road at that point is not that good. Woodlawn and Riverdale both are a lot nicer.

Oh, and the Bronx Zoo would get played out if you lived next to it. You don't live close to an area just because a zoo is there!
The area where I resided was mostly either co-ops or condos. The area is good and has always been good. I've done my due diligence as a buyer. I wouldn't have chosen an area to purchase, as a single woman, that was in any way bad, unsafe, or "Section 8 land." I've looked at Woodlawn and Riverdale, and I freely admit that they are nice they are not "a whole lot nicer". I wholeheartedly disagree about your assessment of Pelham Parkway area and I know many who can corroborate what I say. Also, I never advocated he move to an area because a zoo is present, but being close to attractions can be favorable.

The area has held its value over the years for a reason. Like I said, I've been a home buyer in the area who made a good amount of coin as a seller, so it wasn't a bad decision on my part. My unit has had two subsequent owners, and each owner has made a nice profit. You wanna give other hoods their props, go ahead, but my former area holds its own.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
The area where I resided was mostly either co-ops or condos. The area is good and has always been good. I've done my due diligence as a buyer. I wouldn't have chosen an area to purchase, as a single woman, that was in any way bad, unsafe, or "Section 8 land." I've looked at Woodlawn and Riverdale, and I freely admit that they are nice they are not "a whole lot nicer". I wholeheartedly disagree about your assessment of Pelham Parkway area and I know many who can corroborate what I say. Also, I never advocated he move to an area because a zoo is present, but being close to attractions can be favorable.

The area has held its value over the years for a reason. Like I said, I've been a home buyer in the area who made a good amount of coin as a seller, so it wasn't a bad decision on my part. My unit has had two subsequent owners, and each owner has made a nice profit. You wanna give other hoods their props, go ahead, but my former area holds its own.
Woodlawn has a lot more single family homes with front yards and back yards. Its a whole not nicer. I've frequently gotten off the 2 train at Pelham Parkway. There are nice co ops near by, and there are plenty of Section 8 rentals nearby as well. Riverdale is also a lot nicer. The Bronx is like Queens in that the middle class to upper middle class areas tend to be away from the trains.

And White Plains Road at no point on its length can be considered the best street by any stretch. Not the worst street in NYC, but far from the best.

Whether someone makes a profit of real estate in an area doesn't necessarily mean its a good area to live in.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:24 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allamshield View Post
Hi all, new to this forum. I am from NYC just do not know much about The Bronx. I know that The Bronx is the probably the most affordable borough in the City. I currently rent and am looking to buy a house or Condo. My family needs the space.

I'm looking for an area that's walking distance (< 15min) to subway trains whereas I can reach Midtown in an hour or preferably less.

I am currently looking for areas that my family (Wife and babies) can afford maybe up to $225,000 providing that HOAs are not over $700/ month. We need the space, easy commute to Downtown and Midtown Manhattan and would also like to know of neighborhoods which have Supermarkets, eateries and stores.

I've been in Parkchester many times and they seem to have it all there. Are there any other areas like Parkchester in the Bronx but with a quieter residential feel?

The city has changed over the past 10 years so hopefully those of you who live in the Bronx or frequently spend time in The Bronx can answer this the best.
What do you like to do? I lived in the Bronx for over 30 years. I lived in Woodlawn and Riverdale. Riverdale is more of a white collar area. Buildings offer more amenities such as swimming pools, doormen, concierge services, grocery stores and dry cleaners in SOME buildings. Also depending on where in Riverdale you live the views are in top 2.
Woodlawn is a strong irish enclave, the borders being the highway (87), East 233rd street (Woodlawn Cemetery), Webster Ave ( Metro North railroad), and McClean Ave which is actually Yonkers. There is about 45 bars within a mile radius in the area. Which is good and bad. I don't know your social habits and what you like to do. Deli's, diners, banks and usual stores along Kathonah Ave. Nice parks along Van Cortland Ave. Both of the above areas are safe and probably in top 3 safest within the Bronx.
Pelham Pkwy. Another ethnic area like Woodlawn. newest immigrants being Albanians. They seem to have made Lydig Ave their stronghold in NYC. Ton of stores under the IRT Line. Very nice private homes and coop apt buildings. Going to be very honest never really knew the area to be a hotbed for nightlife. Once again that could be good or bad.
All three areas are nice areas in the Bronx. Woodlawn and Riverdale offers the Metro North railroad which would be about a 20 minute ride into Grand Central. Pelham Pkwy has the subway system. All three areas have express bus service into Manhattan. Goodluck.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Woodlawn has a lot more single family homes with front yards and back yards. Its a whole not nicer. I've frequently gotten off the 2 train at Pelham Parkway. There are nice co ops near by, and there are plenty of Section 8 rentals nearby as well. Riverdale is also a lot nicer. The Bronx is like Queens in that the middle class to upper middle class areas tend to be away from the trains.

And White Plains Road at no point on its length can be considered the best street by any stretch. Not the worst street in NYC, but far from the best.

Whether someone makes a profit of real estate in an area doesn't necessarily mean its a good area to live in.
I'm not going to clog the OP's topic with back and forth. We're dealing with something subjective here, so you have your opinions. And I have mine. And as someone who has actually lived in said area as a resident owner for about seven years, I can give a personal experience. It's totally up to the OP to do his/her own due diligence and see what works for him.

That being said, Pelham Parkway by Bronx Park East is a middle classed neighborhood. While I resided there, there were zero Section 8 rentals and public housing in the vicinity -- there is one NYCHA senior center at the opposite of Boston, and the Pelham Parkway Houses, which are farther up on Bronx Park East. Despite these buildings, the area has been pretty safe. I've walked home late at night down Barker Avenue with no issue whatsoever. No hanging out, no garbage all over the place, none of that ish you'd see elsewhere.

I never said White Plains Road is the "best" street..I said that it offers more retail/commercial options that might be of interest to the OP. It is busy and bustling, but it had just about everything I could have asked for. Banks, ethnic eateries, bakeries, clothing stores, a health food store, a supermarket, drug stores. The OP was very specific in what he wanted -- he wanted walkability, safety, and an easier commute. All three can be satisified by Pelham Parkway. Woodlawn and Riverdale are nice areas but I've already explained (based on OP's desires) why I felt he should also take a look at my old hood.

BTW, about the real estate comment...making a profit does show that an area is desirable. Rising property values are always a good thing. If an area is declining or not desirable or "good" as you say, the values would go dramatically down. There's a reason why, if priced right, real estate sells in that area. And that is because people are always looking for an affordable, walkable, area that is family friendly.

That's all I'm gonna say.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:49 PM

178 posts, read 230,193 times
Quote:
Pelham Parkway. Both sides of White Plains Road will do and specifically the area close to Bronx Park East/Botanical Garden (before Allerton). It is safe. It is an established, urban neighborhood that has been around for at least a half century. Highly walkable (train is literally five - six minutes away on White Plains Road. On WPR you can also take an express bus that will take you to Midtown/Downtown Manhattan (east side). White Plains Road is a busy retail hub with a variety of stores (clothing, drugs, a supermarket, a health food store, ethnic diner/restaurants) as well as several banks. Off White Plains Road in zip code 10462 you can find several other ethnic eateries.

Most of the housing stock are co-ops, some rental buildings, and a few condo buildings. You should be able to find a nice 2-1 in that price range. The buildings are older and have character, with parquet or herringbone oak floors, thick baseboards and mouldings, high ceilings, and such bygone things as sunken living rooms and separate foyers and large living rooms. The farther you go away from the hub of WPR, the less noisy it is and more residential, that is why I recommend the areas of Waring Avenue, Thwaites Place, Bronx Park East, Bolton Avenue.

As an investment, I don't think you will lose value in this area.

Thanks for your input its much appreciated. I'll definetly looking into the Pelham Parkway area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City